Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main screen unreadable.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20190905_111908.jpg
Hi all.

I’ve had my Model S for just under five years and I love it to bits.

However, last week we just completed a 2300 mile road trip to the south of France.

During this trip the Main screen started to play up, I’m guessing due to the heat, but not definite.

Any graphics or writing on it would fail to display correctly, and therein making anything on the screen unreadable
ie sat nav, charging rates, or the daddy of them all PIN TO DRIVE.

After spending 10 minutes unsuccessfully trying to guess where the digits where on pin to drive (1000 miles from home), and after many two scroll wheel reboots, with the air con on, it appeared! We quickly inputted the code then immediately disabled it.

On returning to the UK I booked the car in with my local Tesla dealer, only to get a call saying they are investigating it and until they know what the issue is they are cancelling my appointment.

I have to say in the U.K. the screen is much less corrupted, although still a little.

My question from a long winded disclosure is; has anyone else had a similar issue, or have you got a link to a similar issue. I have tried to search the forums but terms like screen displays incorrect graphics or text just don't return anything.

...don't return anything.

Very common problem due to memory corruption.

Tesla logs lots of data which creates wear and tear to its memory chip.

By the time the 4 years are up and you are out of warranty, the wear and tear on the memory chip are caught up and you start to see its symptoms.

Sometimes, a reboot would help but in your case, not much.

In cases like yours, you need to swap the small eMMC chip out if you are handy.

If not, Tesla can swap the whole big computer (MCU/17" screen) module out instead of just the small memory chip.

It would be nice if Tesla directs all the logging to a removal microSD card so owners can swap it out at ease.

• Informative
Reactions: Yev000 and SimonTe
Woke up this morning to find that on my 06/19 Models S both my MCU and the cluster were both 'dead'! Phoned for help and tried all sorts of reboots but to no avail. Finally, around 11:30 the road assist people decided that it needed to be taken to the SC for repair. By 14:45 they'd collected the car and a rental (BMW 5 series Diesel - ugh), as no Tesla available, has arrived via Enterprise. Had three calls so far asking whether things had been done to my satisfaction and with the exception of the replacement car I'm very happy.

Let's see how it goes from now.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Just an update.

My local Tesla dealer told me after investing that it was just a firmware issue and HQ knew about this bug and would fix it in a firmware update.

Although after researching myself I’m convinced it’s the eMMC failing, I patiently waited for v10 update. (Does anyone know of any company in the U.K. that can swap the eMMC out for maybe a removable micro SD version?)

It arrived today and I still have faulty graphics, albeit new ones too. Like a line under wherever I touch the screen and some dots above where I touch.

Although I’ve next rebooked it in with Tesla but I’m guessing they will fob me off again with the same story.

To be continued.......

Just an update on my MCU problem.

Phoned Enterprise Monday morning expressing my unhappiness with the BMW and, surprise surprise, they had a Model X that I could have. Within an hour I 'd swapped cars. MX quite different to MS in a lot of ways, not all to my liking, but another great car IMHO. Got a text from Tesla late Tuesday saying my car would be available for collection Wednesday morning. Here's the irritating part, the text was from a landline and my texted reply would not go through. Tried phoning and all I got was the 'national' helpline despite dialling the Digbeth number. Anyway, went in lunchtime yesterday and swapped cars (they returned MX to Enterprise 100 meters away). The problem was down to firmware update not being done properly. Told them I wasn't happy not being able to contact them and my long time contact there gave me her email address for the future.

All in all, yet another, very satisfactory SC experience.

Update.

So I booked it in again. A few days later they cancelled my appointment and sent my an email saying again they are aware of the issue and it will be fixed in a later update.

It feels they will keep saying this until my warranty runs out on the MCU then they will tell me they can fix it for a few grand. (I believe I have an 8 year warranty on the MCU)