Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major accident for me tonight (5/26) (New P85 arrives 7/8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was entering an intersection from a Stop sign, I was going slow, hadn't built up speed yet. The other car ran his Stop sign going at least 50 and maybe 80 mph. The video is terrifying.

Unlit, quiet residential street. Never even touched his brake. Easily could have killed someone.

Sounds terrifying. Good to hear that everyone walked away unscathed. Was the other driver drunk?

I don't know about the other driver. By the time I realized it wasn't a hit and run one of my pax had checked on him and police and fire were on scene. I took care of my business and let them do their jobs.

Well done and well said. So glad you're OK and the report of how the S fared is very reassuring.

Now...have reserved another Model S yet?

Evan, Via Tapatalk

GasDoc, so glad to hear everyone is ok. I'd be very interested in seeing photos of the aftermath. Short of the final, official test results it's real world (unfortunate) situations like what you just had to endure that help inform all of us how the Model S performs in the most critical of times.

One thing that might alleviate a small bit of the "what if" anxiety is to think about how the front and rear doors are reinforced to protect occupants from side impact. Much like the front of the car has strengthened steel to protect from frontal impact, so too do the doors for side impact. The A, B, and C pillars combined with reinforcement in the doors all interlink to form a safety cage to protect occupants from side impact.

One thing that might alleviate a small bit of the "what if" anxiety is to think about how the front and rear doors are reinforced to protect occupants from side impact. Much like the front of the car has strengthened steel to protect from frontal impact, so too do the doors for side impact. The A, B, and C pillars combined with reinforcement in the doors all interlink to form a safety cage to protect occupants from side impact.

Right, and one probably shouldn't judge what the damage to the passenger area would look like based on the condition of the frunk impact zone. They are likely designed differently (since no one sits in the frunk, I hope).

Pics from my accident

So here are some pictures of the aftermath. Please do me a favor and keep discussion limited to the TMC board right now. i.e., don't link this on Facebook or Twitter. Do not download or re-post these photos without permission.

For background...I had just entered a four way stop intersection. I'm in the intersection, having not picked up any speed yet, and an M5 runs the stop sign traveling VERY fast. He clips my nosecone and front support beam. He spins in the air and rolls landing on his wheels facing the opposite direction that he was initially traveling.

My car. My front fenders, headlights and the rest of my car look absolutely normal (meaning gorgeous <sob>).

image_2.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
image_4.jpeg

The other car:
image.jpeg
photo.JPG
image_1.jpeg

All the various departments that responded were very impressed with how safe the Tesla is. But I don't think anything could have absorbed that much kinetic energy if we were "T-Boned".

I get a chill everytime I look at these photos

Last edited:
I'm not a structural engineer, but I believe the "skateboard platform" of batteries gives the Model S an extreme rigidity. This is the second high speed accident I heard about involving the MS where the other vehicle came apart because of impact. It doesn't appear that Elon was joking when he said he would build the safest car ever.

On T-boning, the IIHS has a 31mph side impact from SUV test. If a car is "good" that means 70% chance of survival. And they generally expect injury because of the lack of crumple. So a full-on high speed M5 B-bone would have more speed to do damage, but the relatively low front would help the car protect you. So, not necessarily fatal, but definitely a high chance of having a sigh of relief replaced by a ventilator and pain relief.

One of the IIHS' views is that side air bags have made a big difference in protecting occupants from not just death but severe injury.