Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major revisions every 1-2 years.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk said there will be major revisions to Tesla vehicles every 1-2 years .. but Im confused what comes after level 5 full driverless car that we have with HW2? Flying cars? What else would they be working on?
Mo

Yeah, you have to read between the lines. They'll have Level 5 in a couple years under certain circumstances on specific roads. They will expand that over years (or decades) with more advanced hardware. There will definitely be HW3 and more.

Then there's battery tech, computers, voice recognition, getting the browser to actually work. Lots of things.

Elon Musk said there will be major revisions to Tesla vehicles every 1-2 years .. but Im confused what comes after level 5 full driverless car that we have with HW2? Flying cars? What else would they be working on?
Mo

There's a lot, just take a look at the Model S. It's been selling for less than 5 years. While it looks the same, there's a laundry list of revisions, not sure what counts as "major" though. AP is only one part of it, which wasn't even available on the original.

The various battery options alone (40/60/70/75/85/90/100) Each with different max power output and different motor combinations.

The X iteself has been out for less than 18 months and has already gone through revisions. AP2 is the obvious, but I would even consider the new launch of the 100D as a major revision as the battery cooling technology has changed. The UI went through a revision as well.

While the car may look relatively the same, that doesn't mean there hasn't been major architectural/software/engineering changes under the skin. The body and frame are just containers for various technologies from Tesla.

Reactions: Ampster
I recently cancelled my order for a model X. The factor that weighed heaviest was the new hires for AP. I suspect that AP3 and likely HW3 is sooner than later for that single feature. I recall a comment from the top admonishing prospective purchasers of a Tesla vehicle to not buy it unless the buyer accepts that the vehicle would be obsolete in 12-18 months. If I didn't have a model S, I probably would have made the X purchase, notwithstanding the above. That tempered my "need" to have a Tesla, with AP1, at least, serving my needs.

With that said, each buyer should weigh, hopefully with a trove of information and insight, much of which is available here, the value to purchasing a Tesla vehicle at a given point and expecting no certain "upgrade" in that vehicle, at all. There has been and hopefully will continue to be a legal obligation for the selling company to offer repairs for 5 years, on a vehicle sold , by that company. With 8 year warranties for certain large ticket components in place, that seemimgly makes a purchase even now make less risky, given all sorts of caveats, of course.

Thank you very much

Fury

Reactions: bonaire
How is a Tesla obsolete in 18 months? Will we move onto alternate forms of transport? Probably not. It's still a car, and it will still do what cars do, and damn well. Yes, there will be better versions, but so what? My wife is still on an iPhone 5S. Still works fine. I think the term obsolete is a bit over the top.

Reactions: iwannam3
I agree completely.

I remember the iPhone, people complained it was too expensive for a phone. Then it became omg, they released a new one every year my phone is obsolete. The reality is there's a downstream market. Those unable to get the newest might want the older one and everyone shifts up one.

Could you imagine if you waited until now to get into a smart phone from a flip phone?

There's still some on flip phones. Many are still using an iPhone 4, and I just sold my 2nd generation iPod that I swore was obsolete and trash to me.

There's always newer and better. Just a matter of what you want and are ok with.

There's the upcoming Version 3 Superchargers which will be over 350 kW. They may even be wireless, which would allow the cars to automatically move once they are fully charged!

You can purchase wireless Plugless Power chargers for the Model S now (pluglesspower.com). Tesla may also be partnering with them, if they haven't already.

As for what happens to old iPhones, Apple has Liam which is a robot recycler:

Mo

To me, a major revision is more in the form of hardware. Like revised interior and exterior design, trim packages, and to a lesser degree optional/functional equipment. 1-2 years is pretty short for a body/interior refresh by any auto manufacturer standards, so I doubt that's what he meant. Think way back when the US auto industry was redesigning cars every 1-2 years. It was crazy and something no one would do today, but it sure made for some interesting designs, and made it easy if you were a car spotter.

Which brings up an interesting point... lots of folks have purchased their second Tesla - either adding a second S or X to an existing S, or replaced an aging S with a newer one. The model S has really only had one 'freshening' - the new nose. At what point will owners tire of purchasing the same thing again - especially at the Tesla price point? Lots of comments here comparing the cars to phones, and I think a lot of Tesla owners think of their car in the same patterns as a phone - what's the latest software, firmware, etc. To them it's as much a gadget as anything else. I don't hear a lot of people talking about waiting for the next gen model with the same type of anticipation... I guess you could count the Model 3 in that, but to me that's different because it's a big step down in price and size from anything else in the Tesla catalog.

The model S has really only had one 'freshening' - the new nose. At what point will owners tire of purchasing the same thing again - especially at the Tesla price point?

You're thinking like a car enthusiast. As one myself, I struggled with the same. I actually said this today "As a car, the Tesla is really actually pretty bad. As a piece of technology, it's down right impressive."

Eventually the form factor will have to be updated. They're pretty limited given the laws of aerodynamics, but it will need to be done. As a car, designs get old around 7-10 years.

But, if we look at brands such as Porsche; the design language stays similar throughout the years and builds a following. As a gadget, well the iPhone is in a similar form factor still.

With enough marketing and enough to entice on the technology side, the form factor may become less relevant.

It might even be possible to keep the same form, and apply different designs (think NASCAR) to achieve different looks rather than a traditional new model generation.

Reactions: SoloRX7
I recently cancelled my order for a model X. The factor that weighed heaviest was the new hires for AP. I suspect that AP3 and likely HW3 is sooner than later for that single feature. I recall a comment from the top admonishing prospective purchasers of a Tesla vehicle to not buy it unless the buyer accepts that the vehicle would be obsolete in 12-18 months. If I didn't have a model S, I probably would have made the X purchase, notwithstanding the above. That tempered my "need" to have a Tesla, with AP1, at least, serving my needs.

With that said, each buyer should weigh, hopefully with a trove of information and insight, much of which is available here, the value to purchasing a Tesla vehicle at a given point and expecting no certain "upgrade" in that vehicle, at all. There has been and hopefully will continue to be a legal obligation for the selling company to offer repairs for 5 years, on a vehicle sold , by that company. With 8 year warranties for certain large ticket components in place, that seemimgly makes a purchase even now make less risky, given all sorts of caveats, of course.

Thank you very much

Fury

No way on AP3 anytime soon. They have not begun to touch the surface on AP2. AP2 is going on the first group of Model 3s which will take them like 2-2.5 years to build out.

You have to code out to the hardware's potential before you start looking at next generation. I don't think people are going to be happy with getting newly rolled out AP3 hardware where cruise control doesn't work and AP2 owners are still stuck at 50MPH autosteer.

You're thinking like a car enthusiast....

Bingo. This is where I struggle the Tesla the most, and the area where I find I have the least amount in common with Tesla owners. I really dig the electric propulsion and the way Tesla has created a desire for the cars, but a lot of that Tesla-created desire is for reasons that are very different from car guys (or gals - not a sex thing - just an enthusiast descriptor).

Didn't mean for this to hijack an X thread... this discussion really belongs on the S side.

As a gadget, well the iPhone is in a similar form factor still.

Maybe this is enough for most of the Tesla fans - software updates with minimal physical updates.