Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Make all charge points contactless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AIUI Ionity (for example) are already compliant with this, because the legislation is that you shouldn't need to signup to anything, rather than specifically saying that they have to accept tap-to-pay.

pay-as-you go ≠ contactless

Ionity comply with this by giving you a webpage to activate a one-off charging session without having to signup for membership.

Last edited:
AIUI Ionity (for example) are already compliant with this, because the legislation is that you shouldn't need to signup to anything, rather than specifically saying that they have to accept tap-to-pay.

pay-as-you go ≠ contactless

Ionity comply with this by giving you a webpage to activate a one-off charging session without having to signup for membership.

There’s definitely weaknesses in the legislature contactless & monopoly pricing - Ionity all over.

So just out of interest why are we signing this?
Tesla having to fit contactless payment to new superchargers is the first step to opening the network up to others. Not sure we want that do we?

The petition reads: “I am asking that all public charging points are made to accept contactless/Card payments and that mandatory sign-up is banned.” So this wouldn’t include the Tesla network as it is not public.

B31B7449-CE86-49F6-9075-8D238E5C6BE1.jpeg

The Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Regulations 2017

E6C1C700-FB8B-4B73-A2A4-9D0392B53548.jpeg

Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018

The fact remains that Ionity are lobbying the EU for the Tesla supercharging network to be opened up to all EV users.
They point out that they are establishing a similar rapid charging network and have deliberately set out, from the outset, not restrict the availability of their chargers to solely their consortium but opened them up to the public at large via standard contactless/card payment systems. How very bloody noble of them.
I won't be signing...

The petition reads: “I am asking that all public charging points are made to accept contactless/Card payments and that mandatory sign-up is banned.” So this wouldn’t include the Tesla network as it is not public.
They sit in public locations. The only thing that makes them private is that you need an account with a tesla to use them. Exactly the thing this petition is trying to ban. Yes I am playing devil's advotat but it's a finer line than you may think.

They sit in public locations. The only thing that makes them private is that you need an account with a tesla to use them. Exactly the thing this petition is trying to ban. Yes I am playing devil's advotat but it's a finer line than you may think.

The basis of the confusion appears to be the petition which mentions ‘public charging points’. Compare this to public petrol pumps of which none are none. There are generally private pumps and private charging points, on private land that is accessible to the public. There are a small number of private charging points on pavements, which would be public land, but they would be mostly private chargers that are operated by agreement with a local authority.

The petition wording is a mess, similar to the current situation. I didn’t sign it mainly due to that reason, but also laziness. It would be good if this site would propose a better worded petition that would be supported by other sites.

Really? So if you use 5 times a contactless charger on a long distance it will reserve 5 times say £15 makes £75 being hold on your account for a couple days

If CCS being used then AutoCharge as it can just be the same as the SuperChargers just plug in and being charged ONLY the amount of electricity used without the fuss of bank cards etc

FastNED has AutoCharge; Autocharge

Reactions: Rustybkts
‘Plug & Charge’ (not the Fastned branded version) is great but Tesla & Fastned seem to be the only ones doing it.

If anyone wants to start a petition to mandate all 50kW+ EV chargers must enable ‘plug & charge’ and provide access to Mobility Service Providers (MSP) for roaming plug & charge I’ll sign that too. New chargers should be OPCC compliant and so any installed in the last couple of years should be capable.

Last edited: