Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making reservation for friend - conflicting info from Tesla - anyone know?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm planning on making two reservations - one for me and one for a friend who can't make it to the store tomorrow morning.

Michelle Chang from Tesla Pasadena said this is fine. Sherri from Tesla Palm Springs says this is not possible - that the reservations must be in the person's name who is in line and cannot be transferred later.

Does anyone have some info about this?

I honestly think it is fair to have the person have to be in line. What is to prevent someone from having a list of 30 people that want to make a deposit from their work. That isn't exactly fair to the person behind that person to be pushed back that far...

With that said if this is something that they want to do I think they should limit it to 2 reservations per person regardless of if it is for the person or themselves.

Deferral and non-transferability

If and when the time comes to place an order for a Model 3, and the reservation holder decides not to proceed with signing a sales contract, they will be permitted to defer reservation until a later time. Only one deferral is permitted. Those looking to make a quick profit by selling their early reservation should take note that it is not transferable.
Details Behind the Tesla Model 3 Reservation Agreement

Someone said a little while ago that it may be possible to make a reservation in person in the other person's name if you have all the appropriate contact info.

I am trying to find out what Tesla's policy is.
They're both right. You can likely put in a reservation for someone else if you have all of that person's information and if the sales associate assisting you allows it; I am doubtful that Tesla has a blanket policy, hence the conflicting information. I do know the stores have unlimited reservations, so individuals can reserve multiple cars.

Once generated, the reservation is not transferrable. So if you were to get a reservation in your name, for your friend, that would not work. You'd have to go through buying the car and then sell it to your friend after delivery. Your friend would miss out on tax benefits and it'd just be extra work on your part.

Last edited:
Details Behind the Tesla Model 3 Reservation Agreement

Someone said a little while ago that it may be possible to make a reservation in person in the other person's name if you have all the appropriate contact info.
What you quoted isn't really valid anymore - the reservation agreement has changed and no longer mentions anything about deferrals (it's down to 1/2 page from a full page)

Yesterday, one SoCal store told a friend he could, after waiting in line, reserve for someone else as long as he had the relevant credit card info.

At the same time, I was told by a different SoCal store that I could reserve only 2 cars and that they would have to be in my name only.

As a shareholder, it is disappointing to have this communications disconnect. As a customer, it's annoying.

The written agreement says that changes can be made if approved in writing. Fine. I don't have a problem reserving up to 3 cars, and I don't mind paying for up to 3 cars, but they certainly won't all be titled in my name. If Tesla wants my relatives to buy Bolts, or by that time, maybe e-Golfs instead, then they won't approve the changes I request. No big deal.

These avoidable and unnecessary communications failures are beyond tiresome.

If your friend cannot come to the store and you cannot place the reservation for the friend, then the fallback plan is just reserving online later in the day. I don't see the big deal. I personally will be at an opening event in person, but if I absolutely couldn't get the time off work, I'd have settled for online.

So there are two reasons of which to be aware with regard to why people choose to wait in line at a store other than for the fun of it.

First, it is a reasonable possibility that year one production will be sold out within 24 hours. Just one example of why this matters: If one has a lease expiring in, say, March 2018, then months matter.

Second, given the details surrounding the US federal tax credit (see numerous other threads for those nuances), the difference between an in-store signup and an online signup could be worth $7500, $3750, or $0. For a $100K MS, not a big deal. For a $50K optioned M3, it starts to matter. For a $35K base model, it may make a lot of difference to a new or stretch buyer.

Other than time and money, there's no big deal at all, is there.

So there are two reasons of which to be aware with regard to why people choose to wait in line at a store other than for the fun of it.

First, it is a reasonable possibility that year one production will be sold out within 24 hours. Just one example of why this matters: If one has a lease expiring in, say, March 2018, then months matter.

Second, given the details surrounding the US federal tax credit (see numerous other threads for those nuances), the difference between an in-store signup and an online signup could be worth $7500, $3750, or $0. For a $100K MS, not a big deal. For a $50K optioned M3, it starts to matter. For a $35K base model, it may make a lot of difference to a new or stretch buyer.

Other than time and money, there's no big deal at all, is there.
They prioritize higher spec cars over your place in line. There have been numerous other threads discussing this and the tax benefit reverberations. Just because you reserve in person does not mean you'll get your car before someone that reserved online, necessarily.

How many places do you know of that will let you make a thousand dollar credit card purchase on a card that's not yours?
I'm not sure that point is important. The question is about the reservation. In theory, because I'm going with my husband to do the reservation, we could put it in my name but pay with his credit card. This can be done easily on Amazon or any online purchase. The shipping information (reservation in the case) versus the billing information.

The question here is merely whether the poster can put in reservation information for someone other than himself. The question of payment is moot.

I reserved one today in Sydney about 150 people in line at the end. 1 person was able 2 reserve max 2 model 3s but only in your name and the credit card has to be in your name and I had to show my drives licence. No sure if you can pay cash as it is all done on the computer. It took about 3 mins to reserve a model 3 so don't worry to much about the line it goes quick. So I recommend you bring everyone who wants to order a model 3 with you just to be safe.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde