Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making the 19in to 21in swap. Help please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have a MS on the way that has the standard 19in wheels. I really wanted the 21s but didn't want to pay that crazy price for them so I found some used ones. The used turbines are from a 2015 model S and wanted to make the swap educating myself on what needs to be done. Since these are older, does it make a difference if the cars computer rejects them? Does the computer have to be adjusted for the larger size?? Any insight from going to brand new 19s to older 21s would help. Thanks

Just a suggestion, but you might want to look at the 20s. On my first car, I had the 21s and got a lot of curb rash. Switched to 20s for the winter tires and it made a huge difference on damage and still looked great. I just got another MS recently and ordered with 19 all weather, which I will use in the winter. I plan to get 20s again with summer tires next Spring.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to look at the 20s. On my first car, I had the 21s and got a lot of curb rash. Switched to 20s for the winter tires and it made a huge difference on damage and still looked great. I just got another MS recently and ordered with 19 all weather, which I will use in the winter. I plan to get 20s again with summer tires next Spring.[/QUOTE

Do you have a link on where I can get 20s from for a tesla? Or was this an after market rim? If so, what did you have to do for the tesla to read them correctly for the Tire air pursure senor?

Just a suggestion, but you might want to look at the 20s. On my first car, I had the 21s and got a lot of curb rash. Switched to 20s for the winter tires and it made a huge difference on damage and still looked great. I just got another MS recently and ordered with 19 all weather, which I will use in the winter. I plan to get 20s again with summer tires next Spring.

Do you have a link on where I can get 20s from for a tesla? Or was this an after market rim? If so, what did you have to do for the tesla to read them correctly for the Tire air pursure senor?

The 21s will just work if they are from Tesla. They haven't changed. I assume all 4 rims are the same size as well. You will spend a lot more on tires and the rims crack more easily but they look cooler. Do you have TPMS on them too on the new rims?

Yes, they do have the tires included and I would have to ask for the VIN if they are willing to give that up.. what would I need the VIN for?

You don't need the full VIN, just the last 5 numbers. If it's less than 50900, then the TPMS inside the tires won't work on your car. If their VIN is greater than 50900, then the TPMS should work with your car. There are very few cars made in 2015 that have VINs below that number, so chances are you are OK.

Yes, they do have the tires included and I would have to ask for the VIN if they are willing to give that up.. what would I need the VIN for?
@Keith909man -- You could also just simply ask the previous owner if their car had the option to show the tire pressure on the dash. If yes, then you are in good shape. If not (and they actually knew for sure), then you would have to purchase new TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) sensors that mount inside your wheels (as part of the valve stem). @HankLloydRight is correct that very few cars in 2015 have the old sensors.

If you went the aftermarket direction, they would generally not include any TPMS sensors. In that case, you would just purchase the correct TPMS sensors for the new aftermarket wheels you acquired. When I purchased my aftermarket winter wheels last year, the cheapest and easiest place to get the TPMS sensors from was directly at the Tesla Service Center.

When you swap wheels (which means a different set of sensors), you simply go into the Controls > Settings > Service >Wheels and Reset Sensors. It will ask you if you have installed 19 or 21 inch wheels. Then the car will eventually detect that you have new sensors and start communicating with them.

• Informative
Reactions: dsm363