Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Many, Many Quality Control Issues 2 days after taking delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MX LR+ on Saturday and did a ~10 minute inspection to check for fit/finish issues before signing the documents. During my brief inspection, I only noticed two blemishes where the paint was scratched down to the aluminum and the delivery center fixed it by applying touch-up paint.

Now that it's two days later, I've noticed the following issues:
- The hood is misaligned where one side is raised about 3mm higher than the other side (not sure how I missed this)
- The rear driver's side door's speaker does not work with music or the door-close chime, but somehow the "obstruction detected" noise works in that speaker.
- There is a crunch noise in the rear driver's side door every time the falcon-wing door latches after closing
- The plastic door trim in the rear driver's side door is very loose and not properly fastened
- The driver's side rear camera marker is very loose and wobbly
- The rear bumper reflector on the left side is not properly glued
- There is a 1mm sized dent in the roof area of the driver's side door, but this appears to have been done in the factory since the paint over and around it seems to be without blemish

I've already went through the buyback process with a '18 MX that had various issues that started from the day of delivery and were never resolved, so I'm very apprehensive to begin this process again with this vehicle.

It appears that if you exercise the 7-day return policy, you cannot order the same trim for a year, which would mean that I cannot order another MX until 2021.

Has anyone gone through the process of resolving fit/finish/quality issues within the first 7 days of taking delivery? How did it go? Any recommendations?

Sorry to hear about the issues you found. Although it's too late, this is the reason why the car should be looked over thoroughly before accepting.

Regarding the 7-day return policy, it's really a case by case basis. They say that if you return a car, you aren't allowed to order the same trim. So if you ordered a LR this time and returned it, you cannot order another LR for 12 months, but, you can order a Performance. There are ways around it, though. You can just have your spouse (assuming you have one) order one under his/her name and email.

I took delivery of a Model Y in June and returned it, had my money refunded to me in about three weeks, and then reordered the same car. No problem at all. The manager was super understanding and said that he would ask to rush my refund so that I could reorder.

Good luck. Let the Service Center attempt to resolve the issues if you can get them to see it within 7 days. If you can't, call your Sales Advisor and let him/her know that if you can't get an appt prior to the 7-day window, you will return it. Maybe some strings will be pulled to get you in sooner.