Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

May Reject MXP Delivery Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered a new MXP on 9/11, and somehow got matched to a VIN earlier this week. Build date was 9/22 so it is a recent build. With that said, my detailer just went over the car and noticed the following issues.

1. Large touch up area where hood meets A pillar on passenger side.
2. Extremely poor alignment of passenger side FWD - door needs to come down at least 1/8in and maybe push out the same.
3. Driver's side front door gloss black trim needs to shift up and to the right about 1/8in.

We are no strangers to Tesla, and this will be our 6th purchase. With that said, we moved to BMW last year and the quality difference and fit and finish are night and day. I told myself I wouldn't ever buy another Tesla until these sorts of issues (along with everything else Tesla does to annoy customers) is resolved. With that said, the recent price drops had me thinking about another MX.

I've been spoiled by BMW quality now and really can't decide if this is still acceptable. For that kind of money, it blows my mind that Tesla hasn't at least figured out SOME of the quirks.

Attachments

• IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 256
  • Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 12.15.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 12.15.24 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 247
Reactions: MikeChicago
Hard to guage extent of touchup on the A pillar from the picture, but it seems pretty small. If anything, it's on the passenger side, so you'll probably rarely see it

The FWD, if they're willing to adjust it, then maybe a non issue.

Here’s something to think about when considering Tesla’s with building issues. When you go to sell it any Tesla fan or dealership is going to notice any flaws and reduce or pass on buying it so if you accept a car will flaws expect a lower resale value.
Agreed. Thus the panel gaps and door alignments are my primary inspection as those are not as easily fixed, or cannot be fixed in some cases as above.

Extremely small paint imperfections, I usually give it a pass, especially if they are in less obvious places. The fact is that it's going to eventually get some chips here and there from driving and rocks.

I've taken delivery 3 out of 4 now, with the last one rejecting for significant gap. Fingers crossed on the next VIN assignment

Last edited:
Reactions: sarugby4life
Here’s something to think about when considering Tesla’s with building issues. When you go to sell it any Tesla fan or dealership is going to notice any flaws and reduce or pass on buying it so if you accept a car will flaws expect a lower resale value.
Had no issues selling my previous crooked Model Y. Weird thing was that car was way quieter on the highway than my newer, straight panel Model Y

I guess it totally depends on what's important to you. Agreed BMW or Mercedes or Audi have xlnt build quality and Tesla needs some help in that area. But I recently went through the process of comparing all their top EV's (BMW i7, MB 580 and Audi GT) and IMNSHO none were even close to the Tesla. The German cars were maybe a tad quieter with a slightly smoother ride. The German cars all had interiors that could best be described as overly decorated living rooms. There are tons of dials and buttons and levers, etc. You feel like you're in the cockpit of a jet fighter. But their technology and user features were so far behind it wasn't close. Did I mention acceleration, handling, range and price? It was an easy decision to get my third Model S.

I guess it totally depends on what's important to you. Agreed BMW or Mercedes or Audi have xlnt build quality and Tesla needs some help in that area. But I recently went through the process of comparing all their top EV's (BMW i7, MB 580 and Audi GT) and IMNSHO none were even close to the Tesla. The German cars were maybe a tad quieter with a slightly smoother ride. The German cars all had interiors that could best be described as overly decorated living rooms. There are tons of dials and buttons and levers, etc. You feel like you're in the cockpit of a jet fighter. But their technology and user features were so far behind it wasn't close. Did I mention acceleration, handling, range and price? It was an easy decision to get my third Model S.
I agree.. My wife's Mercedes would not load carplay with the USB cable plugged in. I asked for a software update at the $300 oil change and they said it wasn't possible even thought international users had a newer software version. 2 years later an automatic OTA update happened and now Carplay works. I'm actually ok with Tesla's poor panel gaps and plain interior rather than the disco ball Mercedes has going on. She never uses MBUX anyways

Reactions: DennisLevitt
Ordered a new MXP on 9/11, and somehow got matched to a VIN earlier this week. Build date was 9/22 so it is a recent build. With that said, my detailer just went over the car and noticed the following issues.

1. Large touch up area where hood meets A pillar on passenger side.
2. Extremely poor alignment of passenger side FWD - door needs to come down at least 1/8in and maybe push out the same.
3. Driver's side front door gloss black trim needs to shift up and to the right about 1/8in.

We are no strangers to Tesla, and this will be our 6th purchase. With that said, we moved to BMW last year and the quality difference and fit and finish are night and day. I told myself I wouldn't ever buy another Tesla until these sorts of issues (along with everything else Tesla does to annoy customers) is resolved. With that said, the recent price drops had me thinking about another MX.

I've been spoiled by BMW quality now and really can't decide if this is still acceptable. For that kind of money, it blows my mind that Tesla hasn't at least figured out SOME of the quirks.
Not a chance id accept that.

I agree.. My wife's Mercedes would not load carplay with the USB cable plugged in. I asked for a software update at the $300 oil change and they said it wasn't possible even thought international users had a newer software version. 2 years later an automatic OTA update happened and now Carplay works. I'm actually ok with Tesla's poor panel gaps and plain interior rather than the disco ball Mercedes has going on. She never uses MBUX anyways
I’m all for the Tesla tech and do like their cars. But their quality and craftsmanship just never seems to improve. Our (first) BMW has been flawless and doesn’t rattle, squeak, or have panel gap issues. With that said the tech in the Tesla will always be better in my eyes (minus the absence of CarPlay).

So long as I get a better build (no Tesla is perfect), I’m back in.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I think some of these comments overindex on initial build quality issues vs. the entire ownership experience. Fine, some tech features and the UX in Teslas are better than EQS, iX, eTron, etc. and some may prefer Tesla's minimalist approach. But, what about month 9 or month 19? Getting over panel gaps, paint imperfections is easy as still [relatively] early adopters, but the ownership and service experience are garbage compared to German OEMs and even some American/Japanese mfrs.

We had some short-term needs that basically forced the hand into a MXP order after a terrible MSP experience. I still think about cancelling the MXP order to shift easily (and more cheaply) into an iX or eTron, but going to give Tesla another shot on a short-term basis for 2 yrs. The entire Tesla corp "culture" doesn't give a isht about the customer but people still accept it, and even worse, make excuses for it due to a variety of reasons.

Reactions: sarugby4life
I think some of these comments overindex on initial build quality issues vs. the entire ownership experience. Fine, some tech features and the UX in Teslas are better than EQS, iX, eTron, etc. and some may prefer Tesla's minimalist approach. But, what about month 9 or month 19? Getting over panel gaps, and paint imperfections is easy as still [relatively] early adopters, but the ownership and service experience are garbage compared to German OEMs and even some American/Japanese mfrs.

We had some short-term needs that forced the hand into an MXP order after a terrible MSP experience. I still think about cancelling the MXP order to shift easily (and more cheaply) into an iX or eTron, but going to give Tesla another shot on a short-term basis for 2 yrs. The entire Tesla corp "culture" doesn't give a isht about the customer but people still accept it, and even worse, make excuses for it due to a variety of reasons.
Then why even try it again ? Makes no sense. You sound like a woman getting abused and looking for all the reason to stay. Tesla isn’t for everyone, if you like your BMW OR Etron then go for it. Don’t act like if you settling to get a Tesla because they really don’t give a crap leave or stay (this is the honest truth). I have had two Teslas now and I have not had a problem with my car and enjoyed them. If you all think you buying a luxury car with Tesla then you need to try again. The arrogance of some of this people here demanding for stuff they all know they won’t get from other manufacturers. My 2023 sequoia had a lot of issues and my dealership would not fix it. A lot of this dearship you all mentions charge a lot more then MRSP for the cars but don’t complain about that.

I think some of these comments overindex on initial build quality issues vs. the entire ownership experience. Fine, some tech features and the UX in Teslas are better than EQS, iX, eTron, etc. and some may prefer Tesla's minimalist approach. But, what about month 9 or month 19? Getting over panel gaps, paint imperfections is easy as still [relatively] early adopters, but the ownership and service experience are garbage compared to German OEMs and even some American/Japanese mfrs.

We had some short-term needs that basically forced the hand into a MXP order after a terrible MSP experience. I still think about cancelling the MXP order to shift easily (and more cheaply) into an iX or eTron, but going to give Tesla another shot on a short-term basis for 2 yrs. The entire Tesla corp "culture" doesn't give a isht about the customer but people still accept it, and even worse, make excuses for it due to a variety of reasons.
I’ve had my model S for almost 7 years and over 100k miles. Didn’t even need to take my car in for anything the first 4 years of ownership. Maybe there’s less handholding and response but I prefer the history and everything recorded in the app. My Tesla service center has been great and really like mobile service. Granted, not all service centers are the same.

Reactions: macd1995
Then why even try it again ? Makes no sense. You sound like a woman getting abused and looking for all the reason to stay. Tesla isn’t for everyone, if you like your BMW OR Etron then go for it. Don’t act like if you settling to get a Tesla because they really don’t give a crap leave or stay (this is the honest truth). I have had two Teslas now and I have not had a problem with my car and enjoyed them. If you all think you buying a luxury car with Tesla then you need to try again. The arrogance of some of this people here demanding for stuff they all know they won’t get from other manufacturers. My 2023 sequoia had a lot of issues and my dealership would not fix it. A lot of this dearship you all mentions charge a lot more then MRSP for the cars but don’t complain about that.
Triggered? I'm was highlighting the overall ownership experience and, yes, they don't care if someone stays or leaves which I mentioned as well. I never said Tesla is luxury nor have I ever posted about demands from Tesla on random stuff. There's a reason Tesla bought back my MSP without much back/forth.

I'm giving it a shot on the X as it makes sense for me personally on a short-term basis with the current market and cost picture. If the experience is as poor as it was with my S, yeh..it'll be settling. Only time will tell.