Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

May Reject MXP Delivery Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered a new MXP on 9/11, and somehow got matched to a VIN earlier this week. Build date was 9/22 so it is a recent build. With that said, my detailer just went over the car and noticed the following issues.

1. Large touch up area where hood meets A pillar on passenger side.
2. Extremely poor alignment of passenger side FWD - door needs to come down at least 1/8in and maybe push out the same.
3. Driver's side front door gloss black trim needs to shift up and to the right about 1/8in.

We are no strangers to Tesla, and this will be our 6th purchase. With that said, we moved to BMW last year and the quality difference and fit and finish are night and day. I told myself I wouldn't ever buy another Tesla until these sorts of issues (along with everything else Tesla does to annoy customers) is resolved. With that said, the recent price drops had me thinking about another MX.

I've been spoiled by BMW quality now and really can't decide if this is still acceptable. For that kind of money, it blows my mind that Tesla hasn't at least figured out SOME of the quirks.
If that was my car, I would probably be so excited to get one that I would probably just make sure everything works, (doors, screens, buttons, etc.) and if it drives, little things like that wouldn’t bother me too much:)

If that was my car, I would probably be so excited to get one that I would probably just make sure everything works, (doors, screens, buttons, etc.) and if it drives, little things like that wouldn’t bother me too much:)
And that’s fair, likely others would say the same. For me, I’m extremely meticulous and OCD in general but especially with my cars. I take extreme care of them and keeping them looking their best is therapy to me :)

As I said, this will be our 6th Tesla, and after you’ve gone through a few of them, you very quickly realize what is acceptable to you or not. They genuinely do not care how you feel or that their cars have noticeable flaws at such a steep price tag…and that is the part that bothers me most. I talk to customers for a living and ensuring they are happy and satisfied always is the biggest piece to the job. I’m hoping to give them another chance, but am not holding my breath!

If you want perfection in body panel fittments, then Tesla might not be right for you. The German stuff tends to fit better, but they charge a lot more as well.
The Falcon Wing doors did not align perfect on mine on delivery either. After 6 months the gaskets softened a bit, and now it is a perfect fit.

With the current pricing Model X is a great value. Tech is good, power is good, ride/handling good etc. If your expectations are super high, you will always be able to find flaws.

I agree.. My wife's Mercedes would not load carplay with the USB cable plugged in. I asked for a software update at the $300 oil change and they said it wasn't possible even thought international users had a newer software version. 2 years later an automatic OTA update happened and now Carplay works. I'm actually ok with Tesla's poor panel gaps and plain interior rather than the disco ball Mercedes has going on. She never uses MBUX anyways
Loved your disco ball reference. And so very apt. In truth, the BMW i7 actually had strips of prismatic crystal glass and several of the levers were the same glass. It was way too gaudy for me or my wife. I'm sure it did well in focus groups and I'm sure there are many luxury buyers that like that stuff.

Reactions: SO16 and Daniel L
Well...it looks liek I may reject the second VIN as well. I didn't even bother taking pictures this time.

1. Quarter windows were sticking out on both sides.
2. Horrible swirls in the paint, and the driver side FWD had a visible tape line from a respray.
3. Dust under the paint in multiple locations.
4. Interior was close to perfect.
5. Panel gaps were pretty good.

I spoke to the Delivery Team and they are willing to try one last time, but I really don't know if I can do this a third time. I'm probably more meticulous than most, but it is so infuriating to continue seeing such quality issues on a 100k car. I give the delivery team kudos for being extremely professional and trying to make things right, but maybe it really is time for us to take a break from Tesla for a bit...YMMV

Would you take a third VIN, or just let it go at this point? The car was going to be wrapped in a Chalk Gray PPF so I was almost prepared to let the paint issues slide, but at this price, it really is unacceptable.

Dude, can you come and look over my X on Thursday? #2 and #3 on a white paint, you gotta have Superman eyes or something. Lol

3rd time’s a charm. 😅 But I would consider a 3rd VIN if they can match you quickly.
Ha my detailer literally goes over the car with a flashlight and a paint gauge. Overkill for sure but he wraps half of the teslas from the Fremont factory and knows how OCD I am…

The second VIN was actually black (I tried changing color) and that is likely why the paint looked like it did. We will see what they come back with tomorrow.

You bring your detailer with you for your delivery appointment?

Just read an article saying Tesla offering factory wraps for the 3 and Y. Maybe they outsourced it to your guy 😅. Maybe they do that to hide these paint defects straight from the factory

HAPPY TO REPORT THAT I TOOK DELIVERY OF MY MODEL X PLAID TODAY!!!! The 3rd VIN was PERFECT. Fitment was one of the best I've seen!

Car is now with my detailer and will be wrapped Chalk Gray and ceramic coated. Probably upgrading to the T Sportline 22in TSV wheels as well, for a subtle yet classy change. Stoked!

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 63
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (8).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (8).jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 47
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (10).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (10).jpg
    385 KB · Views: 43
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (11).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (11).jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 40
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (13).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (13).jpg
    473.3 KB · Views: 41
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (14).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (14).jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 39
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (16).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (16).jpg
    423 KB · Views: 44
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (15).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (15).jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 46
How could you accept that. I see a little bit of lint on the passenger footwell carpeting...REGECT!

Seriously though, congratulations on your new Plaid.
Thank you very much pal. It was a REALLY hard choice, as we were debating between this and an X7. I really really like the BMW fit and finish and the overall "luxury" cabin. But given the reduced pricing and the overall improvements to the refresh, I think this was a good move. The luxury piece will never be on par with BMW, but the ease of ownership and enjoyment as a daily driver is always there. My wife is happy too, which is all that matters!

Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
HAPPY TO REPORT THAT I TOOK DELIVERY OF MY MODEL X PLAID TODAY!!!! The 3rd VIN was PERFECT. Fitment was one of the best I've seen!

Car is now with my detailer and will be wrapped Chalk Gray and ceramic coated. Probably upgrading to the T Sportline 22in TSV wheels as well, for a subtle yet classy change. Stoked!
Congrats!
I ordered the exactly same configuration on 09/04 except yoke, in bay area and still no VIN. How come you ordered on 09/11 and got it before me :(

Reactions: sarugby4life
Congrats!
I ordered the exactly same configuration on 09/04 except yoke, in bay area and still no VIN. How come you ordered on 09/11 and got it before me :(
No idea...there seems to be no rhyme or reason to this. I do however have a pretty good relationship with the sales leadership in Fremont. With that said, that has not really helped in the past, as it is out of their control. If your EDD window shrinking? If so, it's close!

No idea...there seems to be no rhyme or reason to this. I do however have a pretty good relationship with the sales leadership in Fremont. With that said, that has not really helped in the past, as it is out of their control. If your EDD window shrinking? If so, it's close!
It is shrinking every day now. Hopefully get VIN this week. Last EDD: 11/06 - 11/24

Last edited:
Man, that white interior. Some days a part of me wonder if we should have gotten the white interior. But then when I clean my MY black back seat, kinda glad I don't have to stress about it with 2 kids. haha.
I have Model 3 with white interior and a big Labrador dog. Surprisingly, after 4 years, my seats still look like new. I think it will work well with kids also.

Man, that white interior. Some days a part of me wonder if we should have gotten the white interior. But then when I clean my MY black back seat, kinda glad I don't have to stress about it with 2 kids. haha.
I've had white seats on multiple Teslas and never had an issue with kids. They are pretty easy to clean. I had black on my MS Plaid but preferred the white overall. Both have their pros and cons.

We also had the white interior in our previous M3 that my wife drove. It still looked nice when I sold it last month. I admit, it always looked nice after a wash and cleaning. The MXP will also be my wife's daily driver, and she's not the best at keeping the interior clean. I always cringed when I had to get in her car. lol

I would have considered if it was not perforated like the 3/Y. The new perforated seats look great, but I dread having to get crumbs and who-knows what that gets caked in the perforation out. I think our dog is cleaner in the car than my 2 kids! lol

It's 3 against 2 in this scenario for me. 🤣

Looks sick. I didn't know you can reject first two VINs and get 3rd VIN. I thought Test only gives you one chance to reject, next one you must take delivery or they cancel your order.