Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Many Tire Punctures - Is This Normal (21")?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Today I've been informed that I have yet another puncture in my tire due to a nail, and that it is again not able to be repaired due to its location. This is the fourth time this has happened since I got my car right just under 2 years ago. I've never had tires nearly this big and my previous cars never really had this issue. Is this common to go through this many tires in such a short amount of time? Is there anything I can do to mitigate this?

For clarity, I have been using Michelin Super Sports.

Almost certainly the first was due to construction in/around the parking deck I was parking in regularly. Afterwards though, nothing notable. I don't drive through construction sites at all and around them, as much as the average person. I even moved across the country between the second and third times, amazingly with zero issues.

Would getting a different type of tire help?

...I have yet another puncture in my tire due to a nail, and that it is again not able to be repaired due to its location. ...Is there anything I can do to mitigate this?
Not sure of your location, but in Texas there is a tire franchise called Discount Tire and they sell "certificates" that are a purchased protection/insurance against damage like that.

https://www.discounttire.com/customer-service/certificates

Almost certainly the first was due to construction in/around the parking deck I was parking in regularly. Afterwards though, nothing notable. I don't drive through construction sites at all and around them, as much as the average person. I even moved across the country between the second and third times, amazingly with zero issues.

Would getting a different type of tire help?
Just unlucky. Changing tires may appear to solve your issue vs just law of averages dictating you’ll be puncture-free for the next ten years.
Where was the actual puncture this last time around? Unless it was on the sidewall or verrrry close to it, it should be repairable.

My only experience with picking up nails in tires is that the problem gets worse as tread depth decreases. Hard tires with little tread will flip a nail up while soft new tires seem to pass over the nail. Short nails with wide heads are the worst.

Construction materials left at the curb on garbage day can be a source of nails.

Mostly it's bad luck so get a plug kit and be prepared. If you have a small compressor in the car carry sheet metal screws of various widths. You can extract the nail and use a screw to hold air until you get home. The screws hold well in steel belts

Reactions: Russell
I have the same experience. 23 years of driving. Until the Tesla with 21's I never had a flat tire. On previous cars I found a screw/nail in a tire maybe twice (again, over 23 years) but they never punctured the tire so just pulled them out and continued on.

Then with my Tesla I had 4 flat tires in 3 years.

Last year I switched the 21's out for a set of 20's and no flats since.

Coincidence? Maybe.