Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my early graduate education in the philosophy of science I was imbued with the idea that as Kant would put it "there are no synthetic a prioris." That is, there are no universally valid propositions about the empirical world. Later I read a critique. "If true, it is a synthetic a priori."

I am no longer a positivist––doubtless an artifact of old age.

Here is the story on the Kenosha shooting from the CBC yesterday:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/kenosha-blake-protests-1.5702383

The facts match what I've read on the American news sources I follow.

CBS Chicago's account was also cited by the BBC's coverage:
Criminal Complaint Against Kyle Rittenhouse Details Prosecutors' Version Of Events In Kenosha Shooting That Killed 2, Wounded 1

It appears to the story here that while there may have been words exchanged, the people shot were all peaceful. After the first man Rosenbaum was shot and killed, several people tried to disarm and detain Rittenhouse and that's when he shot the other people. One only had a skateboard.

The CBC and virtually all Canadian media just take American news feeds that align with their narrative and reprint, often with their own added spin. The CBC link you provided is a reprint of a relatively balanced Associated Press article. It touches, mostly accurately, on what happened, but leaves out the circumstances that led to the shootings (The first victim chased and threw a Molotov cocktail at Rittenhouse, the second hit him over the head with a skateboard and the third came at him with a handgun, Also leaves out that Rittenhouse called 911 right after the first shooting and ran away after the mob came after him)

It changes your opinion of the event if that information is included and no longer sounds like innocent people being shot for no reason. Same thing with Blake - much of reporting left out the guys rap sheet, fighting with police, that he was tasered and went for a weapon in the car.

Most Canadian media is sourced from AP and Reuters with a second string of the Washington Post, New York Times and other left leaning media. No Canadian news org has the budget to field international reporters anymore.

Most Canadians are left of Democrats and hate Trump, but when asked why, usually don't know why - they've just been told over and over that they should, so Orange Man Bad! If you mention any of the decent policies that Trump has implemented, they've never heard of them.

BBC is better, but even they rely on the same feeds, they just add less of their own editorial content.

Point is, what goes on in mainstream US media just gets echoed around the world with added local spin of some kind.

Last edited:
The CBC link you provided is a reprint of a relatively balanced Associated Press article. It touches, mostly accurately, on what happened, but leaves out the circumstances that led to the shootings (The first victim chased and threw a Molotov cocktail at Rittenhouse, the second hit him over the head with a skateboard and the third came at him with a handgun, Also leaves out that Rittenhouse called 911 right after the first shooting and ran away after the mob came after him)

There's a ton of social media photos and video that show these were not peaceful protesters who were shot. The rioters instigated the shootings by attacking the kid. The first person shot tried to bum-rush the kid and the kid only shot when the guy was right on top him. There's video on twitter and youtube of both shootings and the kid was never the aggressor. He actually showed quite a bit of restraint with the last two. He was being attacked by multiple people but only shot the ones that were an eminent threat (one was armed).

The CBC and virtually all Canadian media just take American news feeds that align with their narrative and reprint, often with their own added spin. The CBC link you provided is a reprint of a relatively balanced Associated Press article. It touches, mostly accurately, on what happened, but leaves out the circumstances that led to the shootings (The first victim chased and threw a Molotov cocktail at Rittenhouse, the second hit him over the head with a skateboard and the third came at him with a handgun, Also leaves out that Rittenhouse called 911 right after the first shooting and ran away after the mob came after him)

It changes your opinion of the event if that information is included and no longer sounds like innocent people being shot for no reason. Same thing with Blake - much of reporting left out the guys rap sheet, fighting with police, that he was tasered and went for a weapon in the car.

Most Canadian media is sourced from AP and Reuters with a second string of the Washington Post, New York Times and other left leaning media. No Canadian news org has the budget to field international reporters anymore.

Most Canadians are left of Democrats and hate Trump, but when asked why, usually don't know why - they've just been told over and over that they should, so Orange Man Bad! If you mention any of the decent policies that Trump has implemented, they've never heard of them.

BBC is better, but even they rely on the same feeds, they just add less of their own editorial content.

Point is, what goes on in mainstream US media just gets echoed around the world with added local spin of some kind.

Shhhh. Don't tell them the truth. You are going to ruin the experiment.

(The first victim chased and threw a Molotov cocktail at Rittenhouse
Not only have I not seen any such report I've not seen any video showing any evidence of a flaming pool of gas anywhere near Rittenhouse. Video I've seen makes it appear to be a plastic bag with some objects in it, zero flames. Whatever source you got that bogus information from is not credible, the exact opposite of the argument you're trying to make about credible news sources. You can see at 1:26 in this video it appears to be some groceries. The bag didn't get close to him and it was hardly a deadly weapon. Lethal force was not an appropriate response. That's why untrained idiots shouldn't be running around with guns. He then fled the scene of the crime he committed.

It changes your opinion of the event if that information is included and no longer sounds like innocent people being shot for no reason.
He came there looking for trouble carrying a loaded weapon which he was apparently not legally allowed to have. He was a cop wannabe trying to pretend to be a tough guy.

Reactions: NikolaACDC
The fate of this thread has been discussed by several moderators a few weeks ago. The consensus was that TMC is better off without it, but it was given one last chance to prove itself.

I think we can safely say it flunked, as it keeps on bringing divisive and inflammatory political polemics to a politically neutral forum that is dedicated to Tesla. So the thread will now stay locked permanently, and as a consequence it will no longer be a sticky.

Anyone who wants to discuss US politics can find dozens of other forums to do so. TMC is not obligated to facilitate that discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.