Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect they pick a numerical cap because that gives a concrete budgetary dollar amount.

Perhaps so. But it would be even closer to "concrete" it they made it a total of all EVs produced without regard to particular manufacturers. In any event, many buyers are in tax situations that would not qualify for all of an allowed credit, thus further loosening the "concrete".

I still feel that an overall sunset date would be preferable to numerical caps. If the situation gets out of hand, that sunset date could always be amended.

Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
Perhaps so. But it would be even closer to "concrete" it they made it a total of all EVs produced without regard to particular manufacturers. In any event, many buyers are in tax situations that would not qualify for all of an allowed credit, thus further loosening the "concrete".

I still feel that an overall sunset date would be preferable to numerical caps. If the situation gets out of hand, that sunset date could always be amended.

I wish they'd hurry up and kill it or extend it. The current situation probably has people waiting to buy. I'm in that boat. I want to buy a third Tesla but am waiting to see what happens with the credit. I'd hate to buy one and get $3750 when I could have waited and got $7500. If they just killed it outright, I'd still buy because I'd know the credit is gone for good. The way it is now though, I'm just in a holding pattern.

I wish they'd hurry up and kill it or extend it. The current situation probably has people waiting to buy. I'm in that boat. I want to buy a third Tesla but am waiting to see what happens with the credit. I'd hate to buy one and get $3750 when I could have waited and got $7500. If they just killed it outright, I'd still buy because I'd know the credit is gone for good. The way it is now though, I'm just in a holding pattern.

This year's income tax deadline is Monday. If the bill becomes law, it would first apply to credits on tax forms filed early next year for cars purchased this year. So the timing of a purchase this year should not affect whether a prospective buyer gets the proposed new tax credit. Nevertheless, you could be right that many may wait for the ultimate fate of the bill to become known.

Exclusive: U.S. lawmakers introduce bill to boost electric car tax credits - Reuters

This is what I wrote this morning to those who represent me in Congress:

I am quite supportive of the intent of the Senate bill announced today to extend the EV (electric vehicle) tax credit. However, rather than having it apply to a specific number of vehicles per manufacturer, I would recommend a single sunset date be set for all manufacturers. This would encourage the laggards and not relatively penalize those automakers that were early to introduce electrification. I would suggest a date around 2025.

Others here may also want to write Congress.

Meanwhile, one problem is that while this bill is being debated and Trump's reaction remains uncertain, some potential buyers may wait.

Actually I wish they would turn the credit into a rebate applied at time of sale. That is much fairer than the tax rebate. The tax rebate is great for car buyers with more than $7500 in federal tax, but it it helps those who owe less far less.

If they extend the credit another 400,000 cars, Tesla will burn through it in a year or less.

If the Republican party does collapse, that would initially probably be a good thing as it would reduce resistance to fixing the things they broke, but there are some wildly unworkable ideas on the left too. Living on the outskirts of a very liberal city, I've known some pretty nutty lefties.
They've probably got nothing on the nuttiest lefties I know. "Levitate the Pentagon with meditation" types.

Compared to them, the doctrinaire Leninists seem reasonable. There are very few of those remaining, thank goodness.

I haven't been as concerned with them because they had no chance of getting into power anytime soon, though they are just as nutty in their own way as the extreme right.
The genuinely nutty lefties are sufficiently impractical to be irrelevant. Though it is irritating how they don't vote. (The back-to-the-land primitivism extremists, the meditation-is-magic types, and the "Leninist revolution" types *all* don't vote.)

I've found that most of what's described as "nutty" on the left in popular discourse is actually perfectly sensible ideas being demonized by the vested interests which stand to lose out. Nobody's actually talking about the genuinely nutty left-wing ideas (levitate the Pentagon with meditation!) at all, not for the last two decades.

I came to the conclusion many years ago that the middle path is often the healthiest. The extremes usually lead to bad results. There are occasions when an extreme is necessary, but when done by people who have the intent to pull things back to the center, it's usually done right. Historically the US electorate has been pretty centrist, which has resulted in US politics staying within a narrow margin center-left and center-right. But one side has become very radicalized due to the media they consume and it's thrown the whole system way out of balance.

Reactions: Dig deeper
With any label a coda about style is probably needed. Civility is a requirement for society.

Sort of. My study of history says that mobs ousting corrupt elites -- at its calmest, preventing them from repeating propaganda, and at its most violent, executing them -- seems to be a requirement for a healthy society. I suppose you could call that "civility", but the elites usually don't think it is.

I guess what I'm saying is that "civility" is in the eye of the beholder. Slaveholders thought it was very uncivil when people berated them about the evils of slavery, and thought it was even more uncivil when the slaves complained.

Actually I wish they would turn the credit into a rebate applied at time of sale. That is much fairer than the tax rebate. The tax rebate is great for car buyers with more than $7500 in federal tax, but it it helps those who owe less far less.

If they extend the credit another 400,000 cars, Tesla will burn through it in a year or less.

There was a bill that made it a rebate at time of purchase. HR6274. I'm not sure where it stands at this point.

edit: Died in congress. It was proposed by Peter Welch of Vermont. He's the one who is now behind extending the current credit to 400,000.

Last edited:
Senators missed a beat when questioning Barr about his probe into the initiation of the counterintelligence inquiry into Russian meddling.

Barr Asserts Intelligence Agencies Spied on the Trump Campaign

The Senators should have connected his spying comment to the president's witch hunt. No one commented: "So now you're looking for real witches as the president has ordered?"

• Funny
Reactions: neroden
FYI, Collins has essentially no chance of being re-elected. I expect her to retire in 2020. If she doesn't, she's going to be facing an opponent who starts out $2.5 million ahead of her in fundraising in a year when Republicans are facing a massive backlash at the ballot box in a state which is trending Democratic; she's toast.

Poll shows Collins is till ahead of Gillion by a mile - ofcourse 51% is nothing to boast about.

Early poll shows Maine voters are unsettled

Moreover - in more recent elections, people tend to vote down ballot based on presidential vote. So that will go against Collins - much like it happened to Kelly Ayotte in NH in '16. IIRC, in 2016 there was not a single instance when Trump lost a state & the Republican senator won.

4i2QxmaGkHouYyXWN70SjsMkSo4YxXncEUOSN_ShyJ8.jpg

They've probably got nothing on the nuttiest lefties I know. "Levitate the Pentagon with meditation" types.

Compared to them, the doctrinaire Leninists seem reasonable. There are very few of those remaining, thank goodness.

The genuinely nutty lefties are sufficiently impractical to be irrelevant. Though it is irritating how they don't vote. (The back-to-the-land primitivism extremists, the meditation-is-magic types, and the "Leninist revolution" types *all* don't vote.)

I've found that most of what's described as "nutty" on the left in popular discourse is actually perfectly sensible ideas being demonized by the vested interests which stand to lose out. Nobody's actually talking about the genuinely nutty left-wing ideas (levitate the Pentagon with meditation!) at all, not for the last two decades.

I know plenty of "new age" liberals. One woman I know well believes the nuttiest things and refuses to believe things that are factually proven. She also watched Rachel Maddow every night and votes in every election. She has admitted to seeing a lot of herself in Frankie (played by Lily Tomlin) on the Netflix show Grace and Frankie.

Back in the mid-90s I ran into a bunch of people who adamantly believed some "prophet" who predicted by 1998 most of California was going to break off and sink into the Pacific and the Mississippi was going to permanently expand to about 100 mi wide. Some of these people were actually buying property in the Mojave Desert expecting it to be ocean front property.

When I tried to explain the Geology of California prevented that from happening, even if the faults moved suddenly and more than they had in entire human history. They dismissed me as a "denier". Last time I was in San Diego Southern California's coastline hadn't changed much in the last 25 years. I lost track of them so I couldn't check in with them when their prophecy didn't happen.

Though I don't know if they voted or not.

Poll shows Collins is till ahead of Gillion by a mile - ofcourse 51% is nothing to boast about.

Early poll shows Maine voters are unsettled

Moreover - in more recent elections, people tend to vote down ballot based on presidential vote. So that will go against Collins - much like it happened to Kelly Ayotte in NH in '16. IIRC, in 2016 there was not a single instance when Trump lost a state & the Republican senator won.

At the moment Susan Collins doesn't have a clear opponent. There are enough people irritated with her that whoever does run against her is going to have a huge war chest.

A lot can happen in a year and a half. Nixon's approval ratings were actually quite good until the Watergate evidence started coming out. The way McConnell is trying to ram through judges, I suspect he believes all business in Congress is going to grind to a halt when the Mueller report information actually does make it out.

Barr has shown all the signs of someone trying to stall for time for some reason, then McConnell has announced he's fast tracking judges and it makes a bit more sense. I think it's possible Barr has privately let McConnell know how bad the Mueller report is for Trump and McConnell may be thinking that even if Trump was gone and we had Pence things might still be too chaotic to ram through the favorable judges Pence would nominate.

On the other hand Barr might be trying to buy time for some key indictments to come down before releasing the report. Last week there was news of Mueller team whistle blowers who were upset at the delays and the characterizations, but then they suddenly shut up. The most likely scenario there is someone who knows the plan, like Mueller talked to them and assured them that Barr's mischaracterizations are ruses to buy time for indictments.

Or Barr might be playing for time on two fronts?

Speculating about this is like what's going on with another thread here where some of us are going over some fragments of information found in the latest Tesla firmware update that might indicate a new battery pack for the S/X coming.

McConnell has announced he's fast tracking judges
Because he believes in packing courts. It has nothing to do with Barr - just that fast tracking will mean less problems can be found with judges.

All signs are pointing to a fundamental change in both Senate & Supreme Court.

May be US should just scrap this system and go to a parliamentary system - since both voters and congress have started to behave in completely partisan fashion.

• Love
Reactions: gene and neroden
There seems to be a sudden rush on McConnell's part that is curious. He has at least a year and a half to ram all those judges through, why the sudden rush?

The parliamentary system in the UK isn't doing so great right now. The changes to the news media made possible with the evolution of technology has destabilized democracy around the world.

Reactions: Dig deeper
The parliamentary system in the UK isn't doing so great right now.
The Fixed Terms Parliament Act is the cause of all the problems there. It was just a mistake.

The advantage of the parliamentary system is specifically the ability to toss the government and have new elections on short notice (there were four elections in 2 years in one particularly tumultuous period in the 1830s) and the Tories have managed to stop this from happening.

There seems to be a sudden rush on McConnell's part that is curious. He has at least a year and a half to ram all those judges through, why the sudden rush?
1. If a judge is rushed through in 1 week instead of taking a month, there is less chance of skeletons tumbling out of the nominee's cupboard. (think #metoo)
2. Next year is election year. There isn't all the much time left.

The parliamentary system in the UK isn't doing so great right now. The changes to the news media made possible with the evolution of technology has destabilized democracy around the world.
I'd say, it started with Newscorp. They decided they can garner a big market by catering to a large section of population that is racist.

For all the issues Britain faces, the Parliamentary system will still not let Nigel Farag become PM. Trump is worse than Farag.

• Love
Hmmm … I'm not talking about China when I talk about regulations, breakup & monopoly.

Sen. Warren's plan to break up the big tech companies is good, but too narrow

If you think, Google (or any other company) can just walk in and take over the entire world's car/taxi market … think again.
We all have memories of Microsoft facing all kinds of scrutiny for monopoly. But recently it appears that the same rules don't apply any more. Google Facebook are monopolies in their area with no action from the government what so ever.
Not even in the Obama years. I like san. Warran but she has not been able to do much recently.

the left now seems to like the topic of lgbtq rights religious rights, not that they are not important, just that the left don't seems to care about anti competition laws any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.