Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When the party system changes, the politicians who were at the peak of their careers in the last party system become out of touch. The "out" party also becomes much more cautious by nature, but this time the dominant party was actively abusing the out party. That abuse didn't happen in any other cycle.

.... except the pre-Civil-War cycles when the slavers were abusing the anti-slavery factions. You remember how that ended. The anti-slavery factions radicalized, the slavers started a war, the slavers lost.

I was talking about this with my SO a few days ago. She is sort of an expert on legal ethics (other attorneys consult her about ethical dilemmas). She believes a lot of the problems with partisanship on SCOTUS could be solved by requiring SCOTUS to conform to the Code of Conduct for US Judges which all lower court judges need to follow.
How?

I mean, they could officially require it, but *what do you do if they don't follow it*? Congress needs to pass a law to allow removal of judges who violate the Code of Conduct, without the Senate-based impeachment process. That would be Constitutional. If SCOTUS claimed it wasn't constitutional, remove 'em and put in a new SCOTUS who will agree.

I believe Reinquist declared that SCOTUS did not have to follow it,
The old criminal. Why od you think he made that baseless claim?

but recommended that all SCOTUS judges do their best to voluntarily conform. Since Roberts took over, that restraint has gone out the window for the more conservative judges. Thomas and Scalia regularly took part in very partisan political activities and Thomas' wife is a Republican operative. I believe Alito has crossed that line a few times too.

The Code of Conduct requires judges to not only be impartial, but to prevent any behavior that might be interpreted as biased.
That's not just the Code of Conduct.

The avoidance of conflict of interest and the avoidance of the appearance of conflict of interest is a core principle of the judiciary under English common law, dating back hundreds of years. You're simply not a legitimate judge if you appear biased and fail to recuse yourself.

And there is a process for removing judges that refuse to follow the code.
That's the important part. How do you force SCOTUS to follow the process and remove 'em?

If SCOTUS had to follow the code, the judges that schmooze in conservative circles today would either distance themselves from those activities or would be removed.

There are also some differences on the court that aren't exacty left-right, but overlap with it. There are two schools of thought about how to interpret the Constitution. There are the originalists who believe the whole thing was set in stone like some sort of legal Bible from on high and then there are those who take Thomas Jefferson at his word and believe that the Constitution is a living document that needs to be reinterpreted for each generation.

There are no originalists. All the so-called originalists are fakers who ignore the text, ignore original intent, and ignore original meaning whenever it suits them. They happily ignore the very, very clear intent and original meaning of the Ninth Amendment for instance -- the Republican judges HATE the Ninth Amendment.

The Ninth Amendment says outright "People have rights that aren't listed here, and judges are supposed to protect those rights just as much as the listed rights". The Goldberg concurrence in Griswold v. Connecticut points to the Ninth Amendment as the reason why contraceptive access is a right. The Republican judges *hate* that, consistently and uniformly.

They twist themselves into pretzels to AVOID respecting the text and the original intent of the Ninth Amendment -- otherwise they'd be ordering everyone released from Guantanamo, ordering the closure of the concentration camps which Trump is putting refugees in, and legalizing marijuana.

The originalists tend to be conservative, but they have to twist themselves into legal pretzels to justify their ideology sometimes because the world was a very different place in the 18th century and new technologies as well as cultural changes have made some of the 18th century thinking woefully out of date.

A small subset of the right also holds onto the idea of the unitary executive. They believe that the president should be king and should not be limited in any way. (Of course this only seems to be in fashion when a Republican is president.) Thomas is the only clear unitary executive on the court now. I don't know about Kavenuagh and I doubt Gosuch is one.

During the Bush era SCOTUS shot down a number of the extreme laws Bush signed into law. Frequently the rulings were 8-1 with Thomas dissenting. I read one of Thomas' opinions on one of those cases and it basically said, "we should trust the president".

Yeah, even the right-wingers aren't all pro-dictatorship. I think most of them recognize that the Supreme Court is an irrelevance in a dictatorship and care about their own importance.

The unitary executive idea is lunacy within the constitutional framework. The Constitution was clearly written with different ideals in mind. Even an honest originalist can't really adhere to unitary executive ideas. We will probably be seeing some court decisions on it soon. Bill Barr is trying to push that to the limit to protect Trump.

The originalist ideas have a little bit more justification, but they still fall apart when you really think about it. Whatever someone thinks of their religious texts, the documents that define and control a nation are not in the same class. We know that the constitution was drawn up by quite fallible human beings and Thomas Jefferson stated that he hoped future generations would reinterpret the Constitution to work best for their realities.

Trying to be an originalist gets you to some absurd results. Originalists tend to be big on the 2nd amendment, but the 2nd amendment does not say firearms should be unrestricted. First is also states "for a well regulated militia", but it only talks about the right to keep and bear arms. It doesn't specify what type of arms.

If you want to interpret that with a true originalist lens, then anybody should be able to own a nuclear weapon. And the amendment says "people" not "citizens" so anybody residing in the United States can't be limited, including Mohamed who just moved here from Iraq... That is an absurd answer that I think all originalists would recoil from, which proves the point that originalism is not really workable.

Technically, it's "the right of the people", as a collective group. It is not an individual right. It is also not a right reserved to the national or state governments.

I happen to know the original understanding of the 2nd amendment -- I studied it. And its direct ancestor in the English Bill of Rights. Both were specifically for local city and neighborhood-run militias, for the purpose of protecting localities from abuses committed by a larger government such as a state or national government.

In other words, it was to protect the Black Panthers. The founders of the Black Panthers knew their history and their Constitution. Fat lot of good it did them; the courts prioiritized racism over originalism.

Make SCOTUS have to conform to the Judicial Code of Conduct and a lot of the partisanship will stop, though the ideology won't.

The question is, how do you make them? I guess Congress could subject them to the Code, subject them to the removal provisions, and add a provision that the Supreme Court does not have jurisdiction to rule on the Constitutionality of that Act. (Congress can actually strip jurisdiction from the Supreme Court, it's explicitly provided for in the Constitution, and they'd have to in this case because otherwise the Supreme Court, being selfish, would rule it unconstitutional.)

...and Thomas perjured himself in his confirmation hearing, for those who remember it.

I think Rucho et al v. Common Cause et al. is an impeachable offense. The "ruling" from the Corrupt Five violates the basic principle of the law that "there is no right without a remedy", and it ignores the Constitutional guarantee of a "Republican form of government" for the states.

Kagan comes within inches of calling for impeachment over the Corrupt Five's disregard of stare decisis in Nevada v. Hall and Knick v. Township of Scott. These are cases where, as Breyer said, the precedent has "caused no serious practical problems", but the Corrupt Five just *wanted* to overturn them.

Overruled: Is precedent in danger at the Supreme Court?

Obviously Bush v. Gore was an impeachable offense; Thomas had a conflict of interest and didn't recuse himself, and the ruling didn't make internal logical sense as well as being blatantly corrupt.

Since the Senate has made it impossible to use impeachment to remove ANYONE, it's time to recognize that the Constitution doesn't actually specify impeachment as the only way to remove Supreme Court judges who have failed to exhibit "good behavior". They're really supposed to be removed automatically, and impeachment is just confirmatory. Throughout the history of the English legal system, new methods have been developed when the old procedures for removing corrupt officials weren't working. And now it's time.

The Senate is the real disaster. It's undemocratic; the only way to fix it is to add a lot of new states (this is basically how it was kept functioning through the 19th century), or to hold a new Constitutional Convention. Well, the US Constitutoin has lasted longer than any other written constitution (kudos to the UK on its brilliant "unwritten constitution"); it's probably about due for a replacement. More likely is that the country disintegrates like the USSR did.

The Senate has removed people by impeachment. The most recent was a lower court judge in 2010 who was removed. There was another who resigned just before he was convicted in 2009. But high level impeachment is very difficult.

I am extremely wary of a constitutional convention because the Koch brothers have really been pushing for one. They have their agenda lined up and are ready to push it through.

Which particular issue? You posted after @S'toon posted a Robert Reich video.

The ruling yesterday was about the census case in New York. Today the judge in the census case in Maryland did the same thing. I read yesterday's ruling. It was a classic case of the government being hoisted by their own petard. The judge said the government had said this was urgent and changing the entire legal team right now would slow down the case, so no, they can't do that.

Here is a database of all the state AG cases in the Trump administration:
Statistics and Visualizations - Multistate Litigation vs. the Federal Government - State Attorneys General Data

So far Trump has kvetched about court decisions, but he has more or less gone along with them. At least he never completely defied the courts. If the citizenship question appears on the census anyway (and I suspect they might have told the printer to print those forms), that would be open defiance of SCOTUS, which has never happened before and there is no clear cut way to deal with that.
Well, never happened with Trump. Andrew Jackson, of course, committed genocide in open defiance of SCOTUS and got away with it. I think we're all a little afraid of that scenario.

Appellate courts and SCOTUS don't have a mechanism for holding someone or an organization in contempt. That would fall on the original lower court. Technically a lower court could hold anybody in contempt and lock them away until they agree to cooperate, but I don't know of any government official, especially a high government official who has ever been locked up for contempt.

Oh, they have been. (English history has more examples than US history.) They need to be. It's time for them to be locked up. Contempt of Congress is a better charge though... Barr and Mnuchin have commited the most clear and blatant contempt of Congress in US history and need to be imprisoned in the Congressional jail until they comply with the subpoenas. The House is slow-walkiing this process because it's full of cowards, which is a problem.

We are on the brink of a real constitutional crisis. The federal government only continues to work as long as the vast majority agree to follow the law and submit when the courts rule against them. If a court order was ignored without consequences, that would be the beginning of the end for the US system of rule of law.

Trump did have one win today. An appellate court threw out the emoluments lawsuit against Trump. I'm not too surprised by that. That's an example of another hole in the US legal system that Trump has exploited. It's been tradition for presidents to not mix their personal business with government business, so Congress never passed a law to support the emoluments clause. So it's a mandate in the Constitution with no instructions on how to do it. Just about every other clause in the Constitution has laws passed by Congress defining how they work.

About a third of the headlines on this case are talking about "Trump being helped by conservative judges", which tells you the level of respect for the judicial system at this point. Remember that this case is being brought by STATE GOVERNMENTS.

We are already in a Constitutional crisis; several. The federal judicial system has failed, and the Presidency has failed, and the Senate has failed spectacularly. The House is seriously weakened by gerrymandering.

The really big Constitutional crisis happens when the state governments declare the federal government actions invalid. We are extremely close to that point; people for some reason haven't noticed. Without stating it in exactly those terms, several states have nullified federal drug law, and nobody seems to have noticed what that means. State laws compelling non-cooperation of state and local officials with ICE are passing all over the place, and while the feds are sort of trying to fight that, they can't; they don't have the manpower. The Second Nullification Crisis is happening right now and the states are winning.

Nah. I was using that word colloquially.

Ahistoric claim that revolutionary army took over airports in 1775. I think there are bigger problems with Trump than making silly mistakes like this.

He's talked like that for years. The airport thing is pretty outrageous, but he's gotten facts wildly wrong before. He might also have dementia on top of everything else.

I read an article about Trump's last physical report by someone who knows a lot about the pharmaceuticals out there. Trump is taking a drug that I believe is a heart medication, but is also used off label to slow down dementia. It has very toxic side effects on the liver and is not recommended for long term use and is only recommended in small doses and is contraindicated for people over 70. Trump takes the maximum dose every day. It's almost certainly trashing his liver. The article said Trump's health report doesn't say why he's taking it, but any reason he is taking it is not good.

His mind may be going, or his heart, or both, and he's destroying his liver in the process.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
He's talked like that for years. The airport thing is pretty outrageous, but he's gotten facts wildly wrong before. He might also have dementia on top of everything else.

I read an article about Trump's last physical report by someone who knows a lot about the pharmaceuticals out there. Trump is taking a drug that I believe is a heart medication, but is also used off label to slow down dementia. It has very toxic side effects on the liver and is not recommended for long term use and is only recommended in small doses and is contraindicated for people over 70. Trump takes the maximum dose every day. It's almost certainly trashing his liver. The article said Trump's health report doesn't say why he's taking it, but any reason he is taking it is not good.

His mind may be going, or his heart, or both, and he's destroying his liver in the process.
So Pence or Pelosi will serve out his term?

I have had a feeling Trump may not be in office November 2020. Of course Pence would be the most likely person in the oval office at that point, but who knows. Lots of things that have never happened before have happened.
I heard one pundit hypothesize that Trump'll pull out next year due to "health reasons," and beg the GOP to endorse Ivanka to be the candidate in his stead.

I heard one pundit hypothesize that Trump'll pull out next year due to "health reasons," and beg the GOP to endorse Ivanka to be the candidate in his stead.

When Trump is out for one reason or another, I think the Republican party will rip itself apart. Trump is holding the coalition together basically because he managed to win the campaign nobody thought he could win. Once he's out of the picture the neocons, social conservatives, business conservatives, and libertarians will all try to grab the reigns of power.

There will be some who want to follow Trump's wishes, but there will be many who want something different. As far as voluntarily stepping down for health reasons, I don't see that happening. Trump will never admit any kind of weakness, but if he has a debilitating stroke or something like that, he might be forced out.

According to various newspaper and magazine reports, people who've known Trump since the 1960s/1970s/1980s say he's changed. Specifically, they seem to think he's showing signs of dementia. (It seems that he always had malignant narcissism, but he used to be more in touch with reality.)

Oh my. Thanks for the new information.

So, on other topics: after all kinds of nonsense, Trump has finally been convinced to give up on his scheme to put a citizenship question on the census for the purpose of suppressing the non-white and poor vote. Losing the Supreme Court and lower court cases didn't stop him, but apparently someone in the administration managed to pressure him to stop defying the courts.

So the census is going to be OK. That's important. On this case, Roberts ruled correctly, and the other four right-wingers were just pure crooks.

This may get the DOJ lawyers who dropped out of the case off the hook. Rumor is that they quit because the case was unwinnable and unethical, but the judge was going to force them to give affadavits explaining why they were quitting, which would have been very useful in future cases against Trump. Trump dropping the whole case probably prevents the affadavits.

So, on other topics: after all kinds of nonsense, Trump has finally been convinced to give up on his scheme to put a citizenship question on the census for the purpose of suppressing the non-white and poor vote. Losing the Supreme Court and lower court cases didn't stop him, but apparently someone in the administration managed to pressure him to stop defying the courts.

So the census is going to be OK. That's important. On this case, Roberts ruled correctly, and the other four right-wingers were just pure crooks.

This may get the DOJ lawyers who dropped out of the case off the hook. Rumor is that they quit because the case was unwinnable and unethical, but the judge was going to force them to give affadavits explaining why they were quitting, which would have been very useful in future cases against Trump. Trump dropping the whole case probably prevents the affadavits.
He's not quite giving up. He's just changing tactics.
<snip>
But as Harvard Law professor and constitutional scholar Laurence Tribe warned, the fight is not over. In fact, the seeds of Trump’s next, and possibly even worse, scheme to rig American democracy was hidden in Trump’s announcement of his alternate proposal for collecting citizenship data.

“Some states may want to draw state and local legislative districts based upon the voter eligible population,” said Trump. “Indeed, the same day the Supreme Court handed down the census decision, it also said it would not review certain types of districting decisions, which could encourage states to make such decisions based on voter eligibility.”

This meaning is clear: Trump’s purpose in collecting citizenship data is to encourage states to draw districts based on the “voter eligible population,” rather than the total population, which is historically how every state has done so. As Tribe explained, the consequences of that could be huge:

<snip>
Full article at:
Harvard Law’s Laurence Tribe warns the census fight isn’t over: Here’s the new way Trump wants to rig elections for a decade

Also:
President Donald Trump is directing his administration to collect citizenship data by alternate means after his bid to have a question on the subject added to the 2020 census failed.

The president announced Thursday that he would instead issue an executive order eliminating “long-standing obstacles to data sharing” and mandating various departments and agencies, including the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration, turn over existing databases to compile the numbers.

“They must furnish all legally accessible records in their possession immediately. We will utilize these vast federal databases to gain a full, complete, and accurate count of the noncitizen population,” he said, speaking to reporters from the Rose Garden. “…We have great knowledge in many of our agencies. We will leave no stone unturned.”

<snip>
Full article at:
Trump directs his administration to collect citizenship data another way, after census effort fails

Basically the lawyers on the case were going to go into court and tell the judge, "we don't know any way to go forward here without breaking the law" and Barr couldn't have that. When he was unable to replace the legal team, that's when the administration folded.

They are now talking about cooking the books after the census by apportioning districts based on citizenship instead of population, but that will happen after the census is done in 2021, which will be after the election. Chances are the president in 2021 will be Democrat and will apportion districts by the criteria that has always been used, so the whole thing will be moot as long as the Republicans lose.

States will try to play games with gerrymandering, which is why the down ballot races are so important.

Reactions: Off Shore
From main a few days ago:

Market doesn't handle externalities well. We got rid of slavery, smog & lead paint and asbestos and DDT … because of govt action.

Problem is not waiting for government, problem is when everyone gives up on government. Then, only big lobbies get a say in what govt does.

We haven't gotten rid of slavery - in fact, the 13th Amendment explicitly allows it as a punishment for a crime, and criminalizing things like homelessness and unemployment in the wake of the Civil War was meant to keep the supply of slaves up. (This is actually part of why our prison system is the way it is today.)

We haven't gotten rid of slavery - in fact, the 13th Amendment explicitly allows it as a punishment for a crime, and criminalizing things like homelessness and unemployment in the wake of the Civil War was meant to keep the supply of slaves up. (This is actually part of why our prison system is the way it is today.)
Well, that's a separate story.

"pundits" (I hate using the term for TV know-nothings, one of the cultural misappropriations) have been fantasizing about this for a long time. Even before the '16 elections, that he will drop out etc. I can't think of any other person who is going to cling to power (and attention and adulation of fans) as long as he can.

Reactions: Intl Professor
The ghostwriter of _The Art of The Deal_ originally thought that Trump would resign and declare victory ("I'm too good for the Presidency"), but has now decided that Trump isn't smart enough to do that.

Oy.

There were rumors early on that Trump was trying to figure out how to resign and not look like a "loser". He's now got his ego so wrapped up in the job he doesn't want to leave.

There is something up with Mike Pence. He's got the look of someone on lots of Prozac or disassociating in a big way. His performance at the ICE detention facilities was a good example. He was obviously there and is in the video shot, but when asked about it the next day he declared it all fake. He also was wandering around the facilities like a zombie while everyone else with him was deeply shocked at what they saw.

There are also stories that have come out that when the Access Hollywood tape came out a couple of weeks before the election Pence's wife told him to withdraw from the ticket and when he doesn't she threatened to leave him and at minimum she refuses to be anywhere near Trump. I think being around Trump for the last 2 1/2 years has broken Pence. I think he's realizing he made a devil's bargain and it was a very bad one for him. He might be on some kind of medication to keep him from thinking about it.

Trump and the Republicans in general don't understand how the Democrats work. Since Reagan the Republicans have worked on a military model. There may be a bit of back and forth about who the next leader will be, but when the leader is established, everyone falls in line behind them.

The Democrats have more of a large Italian family model. To an outsider it looks like there are many feuds going on and there are loud disagreements, but when push comes to shove, the family pulls together. Right now they are more united in purpose than ever.

I read an article by a reporter who had gone to the Netroots convention this year. He asked the crowd who supported which candidate and the two most popular were Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders with some support for other candidates, except Biden. There was not a single person who supported Biden, but when asked if they would support Biden if he was the nominee, everyone said "yes!", though most said they wanted a progressive VP choice. The slogan everyone was saying was "vote blue, no matter who!"

Trump has united the Democrats more profoundly than anything in recent history and even many right of center voters are thinking blue next year. I hope it's enough to flip the Senate. It does look like McConnell has a serious opponent, she's a retired Lt Col Marine and fighter pilot and a moderate Republican. A good combination for Kentucky. McConnell has the lowest approval rating in his home state of any sitting Senator. But there are other seats that will be easier to pick off.

• Helpful
Status
Not open for further replies.