Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Over the last decade a lot of these hospitals failed due to their debt burdens leaving rural communities with no health care. Doing this is how Mitt Romney made his money."

Not knowing all the details, at first glance, I wold not put all this on the private equity folks... no one is forcing the hospital to borrow... perhaps the hospital should have looked at saving money instead of borrowing in order to spend more.

I'm no expert on this, all I know is what I've read about the practice and I find it very confusing. But private equity firms often target companies that are doing fine economically. They swoop in and finance the purchase of the company by taking out big loans with a big balloon payment a couple of years in the future. They pocket some of the cash they raised with financing, then go about stripping the company bare, selling off any assets they can. Then they try to find a buyer for the gutted company and move on.

Most companies that have been through this process go bankrupt around the time the balloon payment is due. If they do survive, they emerge from the ordeal much poorer and much weaker.

Biden/Harris
AOC/Harris
AOC/MObama
MObama/?

Are you saying Malia Obama or Michelle? The likelihood Michelle Obama is zero. She hated Washington politics. Malia may change her mind at some point, but she's currently uninterested in politics and she won't be old enough to run for president until 2033.

I doubt AOC will also never be president. She may win one of the NY senate seats at some point and may become a cabinet member, but leave the coasts of the US and people get way too conservative for her.

I also don't think the extreme left or extreme right should ever be head of state. I do believe that we should have a broad spectrum of ideas in the national discussion and I value her contribution to that, but when extreme ends of the political spectrum try to implement policy, it usually turns out badly.

No surprise, unfortunately. Hopefully people will feel comfortable with her taking over the presidency if needed, seems more likely in this case than ever before.

I'm glad he picked her. She is probably the least distracting person he could have picked. Her baggage is pretty minimal.

Among those whose names were tossed around who I thought were most ready to step into the job were Warren, Harris, and possibly Susan Rice. The right has Benghazi fever about Susan Rice (even though it's BS) and Warren is too old to be on the ticket with someone pushing 80 during a deadly pandemic that hits people over 65 the hardest. She's in good health, but the optics are not great.

BTW, I saw something the other day that suggested instead of a 4th debate, there should be a bike race between the two candidates. The author pointed out the ratings for that would be bigger than any debate and doesn't Trump love high ratings?:)

Trump probably hasn't been on a bicycle in 50 years.

Last edited:
We're listening to the audio book of It Was All A Lie by Stuart Stevens. Stevens is another Republican who was a campaign operative who has left the fold and wrote this book as an autopsy on how the GOP went off the cliff.

He refers to this book
Network Propaganda: Manipulation, Disinformation, and Radicalization in American Politics - Oxford Scholarship

He quotes some conclusions from the book that he says in very scholarly language says: "Yes Republicans have gone crazy and here's the proof!"

Reactions: phantasms
I've been wondering what happened to Bloomberg's Dem primary promise to spend whatever it takes to defeat Trump.
So I checked it out and learned that Mike's idea of "whatever it takes" is a leftover $18M from his campaign. Not much for a guy who spent 400M to try and be the Democrat nominee and is worth $60B. Bloomberg should at least be contributing heavily to the Lincoln Project.
Bloomberg gives $18 million to DNC in lieu of starting his own group to beat Trump

From the evidence of the ads they have created to date, Lincoln Project Republican defectors know better than the Dems how to reach the portion of Trump's supporters who still have half a foot in reality or have lost friends or a family member to covid.

It looks like COVID took his attention
Mike Bloomberg Promised to Spend Big Against Trump. What Happened?

He gave $331 million to support NY's contact tracing project.

My SO saw something a few weeks ago that Bloomberg has promised at least one of the groups like the Lincoln Project a blank check for the general election. At the moment the PACs of ex-Republicans out to unseat Trump have plenty of money for what they are doing. Rick Wilson said a few weeks ago that what they had done thus far was just warm up pitches and at the level they are operating combined with their influx of money, they have plenty on hand. But they plan to saturate media in the closing stretch of the election and they will need a lot of money for that. That's probably where Bloomberg will chip in.

The last few election cycles have shown that a blizzard of money doesn't do the job anymore. Hillary spent significantly more than Trump in 2016 and lost. Bloomberg and Tom Styers both spent staggering amounts of money on their campaigns and only netted a handful of delegates.

The landscape of campaigns has changed. It's now staggeringly cheap to create political ads. A couple from Portland has been making ads on their home computer and putting them on YouTube. I think one of the ex-GOP run PACs hired them. Rick Wilson said that the ads they are making to taunt Trump cost them about $5000 each from making them to getting them on Fox News in the DC area. And then they get millions of views on YouTube. They may actually be making money off of that.

Over the last 25 years the landscape of television has become increasingly balkanized. Back in the 80s and most of the 90s most people watched network TV, so ads could target large audiences at once. Now viewership of network TV is way down (I saw an article a few years ago that when the original Star Trek was on, it was in 3rd place for it's time spot with viewership numbers larger than the Big Bang Theory which has been the most viewed network program in recent years). And most people have ways to defeat commercials so they don't watch them.

It's more complex to get views of an ad like targeting people on Facebook, but ultimately that ends up getting the ad you want in front of the people you want only for significantly less money than a TV ad. In 2016 the Russians were taking advantage of this targeting liberals with one set of ads and conservatives with another set.

The Republicans have resisted every effort to get high speed internet to rural areas because their tried and true method of running ads on satellite TV will be derailed. They have an audience watching their propaganda channel (paying them to watch GOP advertising) and they won't go anywhere else. If they go online for their news, they will be targeted by people trying to change their minds.

People are also very polarized these days. Some of this is probably due to the way people are consuming their news, but it is probably some other factors too. When people are very polarized, their minds can't be changed with any advertising. So political money has less impact than it once did. It doesn't stop politicians from raising mountains of it and spending it though.

Reactions: phantasms
Freud lives?

Dyslexics of the world untie!

This is about 1 1/2 years old, but it predicts the demographics of the vote in 2020. I think this is the best case scenario for Republicans, and it doesn't look good for them.
An early look at the 2020 electorate

All of Trump's attempts to suppress the vote is going to backfire on Republicans. Slowing the mail is going to have a bigger impact on rural voters than urban and his scare tactics about mail in voting is having the effect of scaring off Republicans and having no impact outside of the GOP bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.