Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want anyone prosecuted who is stealing a charities money. That is protecting the country, it's people and the rule of law. You're the one saying it's okay that the Clinton's are stealing a charities money because they aren't in politics.

If you want to play by your rules though, The accusations against the Trump foundations were prior to him being president.

Doesn't matter to me though. Prosecute all the criminals no matter when the crimes occurred (baring any statue of limitations considerations).

Trump is outright claiming in court that he can't be prosecuted because he's President. This idea is anathema to the American legal system -- he's literally claiming the powers of a King -- but he's pushing it really hard and some corrupt Republican judges are going along with it (thankfully all in the minority so far).

This is why it is imperative that Trump be prosecuted. To firmly establish the principle that nobody is above the law, and that being President does not make you King.

(If he were cooperating with the civil and criminal investigations like Bill Clinton did, then it would not be a big issue for me. He's instead trying to declare himself above the law. Last guy who did this was Nixon.)

Last edited:
I think most Americans to the left of Atilla the Hun these days are waiting for the Democratic field to slim down a bit before they pay much attention. I think most feel similar to me.
Only 3% of respondents in the latest Morning Consult weekly poll picked someone other than the 16 candidates. If most Americans were waiting we'd see a lot of "Don't Knows".

The State of the 2020 Democratic Primary

But the second choice answers are interesting - they definitely cut across ideological lines. So, a lot of people think like you - "most feel similar to me". For activists like me of course they are night & day ;)

For a very rough idea you can take a look at this 538 piece on how the candidates appeal. Hopefully at some point we'll get a proper ideological score for everyone.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-5-key-constituencies-of-the-2020-democratic-primary/

ps : Here are the known positions of various candidates on issues.

Political positions of the 2020 Democratic Party presidential primary candidates - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I'm basically where wdolson is on the politics. On the party platform?

Green New Deal is obviously the right set of principles.

Of the Presidential candidates Elizabeth Warren has the best expertise and set of policies related to the *financial sector*, banking, taxation, and corporations. Jay Inslee obviously has the best priorities overall (i.e. stopping global warming / stopping ocean acidification).

Obviously marijuana should be totally legalized, even if this requires repudiating several international treaties (which it might).

Universal single-payer health care is a must. There are three basic ways to do it: VA for everyone (National Health Service), Medicare for everyone, Medicaid for Everyone. I don't care which. It's probably going to be easier politically to change the rules to encourage *states* to provide universal single-payer health care; given funding support, some will do so and the rest will watch their economies collapse as employers flee to the ones which do, so pretty soon all the states will.

Getting into the harder-to-do:

The military-industrial complex should be shut down, but I don't see anyone with a coherent plan for that at the moment. Our military is a Potemkin military which sucks up cash for contractors and loses every war it gets into; the slush money stream needs to go away, and frankly so does the 1950s-era Army / Air Force structure which is not fit for purpose any more.

It's absolutely worth restructuring the federal court system. In the short term, there's a need to eliminate the excess power of the most corrupt, ruling-based-on-who's-the-defendant appointees; I'd enlarge the Supreme Court to 23 members and have them hear cases in small panels before hearing them en banc, the way the circuit courts do. I'd also rearrange the circuits. The Federal Circuit has been captured by patent extremists and needs to be abolished. The DC Circuit is too easy a target for political manipulation by court-packing, and cases assigned to it should be assigned by lottery to other circuits instead. The other circuits are mostly the wrong size having been designed long ago for a different population distribution. That much can be done by statute...

A constitutional amendment should be introduced limiting judges to 14-year terms (which would then be staggered) to eliminate the high stakes of judicial court-packing; at the same time, the Attorney General should become an independently elected position, elected nationally by approval voting. While we're passing Constitutional amendments, the President should also be elected nationally by approval voting, and the veto power should be reduced to a delaying power (like the Parliament Act 1911 in the UK). And the powers of the Senate, which is so undemocratic that it cannot be reformed, should be removed and transferred to the House. (The Senate can retain the ability to debate, immunity from prosecution for debate, subpoena power; but if legislation passes the House, it should pass, and the House should ratify treaties and confirm executive branch appointments and try impeachments.) And the Constitution should mandate that each state select its House members by a method which achieves party-proportional representation (there are dozens, let the states try different methods, but get rid of gerrymandering once and for all).

The corrupt judge-invented doctrine of "absolute immunity" for prosecutors needs to be abolished completely, which can be done by legislation. Private prosecutions need to be revived to keep the prosecutors honest. "Qualified immunity" needs to exclude anything which would constitute a crime if done by a random citizen; there should be no defenses (zero defenses) available to police that are not available to random citizens on the street. Nobody should be above the law, certainly not police.

The corrupt judge-invented doctrine of "executive privilege" needs to be abolished, as does the corrupt judge-invented doctrine of "state secrets" (the very case where it was invented in 1953 was a corrupt case where the government was trying to conceal wrongdoing and lying about national security; the doctrine is fruit of the poisoned tree and has no legal basis in common law).

There are secrets the government needs to keep, but government entities have used national security as an excuse to hide secrets. A Congressman from Maryland has introduced a bill to set up an independent commission made up of ex high level government officials to review the mental state of a president and rule whether the 25th amendment should be invoked. I think such a commission for other questions like whether something can be held secret or not should exist.

I like the idea of the AG being independent, but if the AG is elected, a slimy politician can still slip in. I think all positions in the DOJ should be apolitical. People should rise in the agency based on merit with the AG selected from among the other department heads when the position comes open. That makes it impossible for the president to control the AG in any way. Congress should still be allowed to impeach an AG for misconduct, there needs to be some kind of check on power, but we should make it as apolitical as possible.

Nobody should be above the law and it needs to be clarified in the law. Any government official in any kind of leadership position (manager, political appointee with managerial responsibilities, president), should be immediately suspended from their job when indicted for a felony, and immediately removed from office upon conviction. No need for any political process to get rid of crooks. People convicted of some felonies should be banned for life from high public office.

I know when I mentioned this before @neroden brought up too much politics in the security clearance process, but I do think the president should be able to get and maintain a high level security clearance as a requirement for office. If they can't get one or can't maintain one, the order of succession needs to be invoked until we get to someone with a security clearance. I believe the Speaker of the House needs one, so it wouldn't go beyond #3. We can't have the president having access to state secrets if they would not be allowed to see them under any other conditions.

I also think that all people running for or holding federal office should be able to pass a citizenship test administered by a neutral third party with the results published publicly. It's a rather low bar, but there are people holding office today who probably couldn't pass. Do we really want someone so ignorant about the US and it's government that they wouldn't be allowed citizenship if they weren't born to it running the country?

Regarding the "state secrets privilege" -- look up the embarassing history of US v. Reynolds. Totally corrupt. Completely unjustified. Proven later to be a flatly incorrect ruling.

The government can have secrets, but it must not be allowed to hide them from the courts, and that is what the state secrets privilege does. If you can't trust a US Judge to keep a state secret, we have bigger problems and national security is toast already.

Reactions: The Blue Owl
As far as I know TN is the only state where the Supreme Court appoints the Attorney General. So he/she is in the judicial branch. This has ensured in the past that at least the AG is a good lawyer and has prevented selection of a political hack elected or a sycophant appointed by the Governor. Of course this system is now under attack by the majority party GOP because the AG has resisted in the past defending obviously unconstitutional legislation. It is difficult to defend this independence from politics and there are now proposals to change the system because no one else uses it. Obviously the intent is to politicize the AG. Making election of the SCt partisan has had its effect on the independence of the AG.

The Clintons and the Trumps are both terrible people. How both become the candidates, I will never be able to understand.

And here is yet another warning from me to not put up another *sugar* candidate if you want your party to win in 2020. It still seems too many people don't respect the chances Trump has to win re-election.

If the recession happens before then, then he will have near 0% chance though and my cat could probably win.

Reactions: neroden
defcOn,

We did it.
We are doing it.
We are to blame (we voters).

From my eyes, the Clintons went from a mountain of legal debt to multi millionaires. I have yet to see the electric car or the reusable space vehicle/launch capability to justify that enrichment. I have, however, seen one of them commit perjury and the other attack and attempt to destroy the lives of the women that spoke out against the perjurer.

I also saw and heard Trump ask for Russian help BEFORE he was elected. The legal, intelligence and homeland security elements have all confirmed that the help was given and by the Russians. This help benefitted Trump. Trump has lifted sanctions on a hostile nation that attacked our election process. On an emotional note, I also saw Trump kissing P's rear on world television; hardly "proof" but nausiating none the less.

We darn near ended up in a depression in 07/08. Lots of people hurt and hurt badly. We still did not learn. I fear it will take a full on depression for us to find our unified self again but, even with that, the momentum is against us now. I believe we are in the throws of the end of a Democracy. I will not be able to pass along to those that follow me the wonderful nation that allowed for my success. This makes me sad.

Lastly, for those that do not think Trump will win in 2020, I strongly suggest you re-align you're thinking. You seem incapable of traveling down to the gutter to understand the true genius of someone like Trump (or any other truly talented scumbag). In a way, that is a good thing but it does disarm you in this fight.

Trump attacks the ACA through the courts. He will fail. The news outlets take the other side reporting just how bad Trump is for doing this and just how stupid he is. ALL of this plays into his hand. He tried to do something but the big bad corrupt courts stopped him. Put him in charge of the courts so he can "fix" them (literally). The news media is also "in on it" and need to be fixed. Put Trump in charge of that too. He gets all the points with his fans and perhaps enough of a convincing argument with some in the middle that, with Russia's help, he just might be able to pull it off again. You underestimate a moral less scumbag at your own peril.

As for Barr being a plant, he interviewed for the job saying the obstruction element was ill conceived. Low and behold, he clears the President of obstruction. Even if Congress has a very good case for obstruction within the report, Barr has muddied the waters so much that Republicans in the Senate have the cover they need to keep the guy in office. Oh, and if you really want to re-elect this guy, do a Clinton on him.

This only changes when we change and we are not changing. I'm planning accordingly.

Point taken. I'd like to believe that if 8 years ago VP Joe Biden talked up a similar pork barreling, financially hollow, reelection timed five year lunar landing commitment, he'd get the same amount of razzing.

I suppose you'd also like to believe that, like Pence, Biden believes God has a "Plan" for him to be President. Or that last year it was someone else who stated “As the president has said, the climate is changing, but what the causes of that are, are yet to be seen.”

Always amazes when members of a forum devoted to a company whose mission statement is to save Earth from climate change, see no irony in supporting empty headed political climate change deniers.

defcOn,

We did it.
We are doing it.
We are to blame (we voters).

From my eyes, the Clintons went from a mountain of legal debt to multi millionaires. I have yet to see the electric car or the reusable space vehicle/launch capability to justify that enrichment. I have, however, seen one of them commit perjury and the other attack and attempt to destroy the lives of the women that spoke out against the perjurer.

I also saw and heard Trump ask for Russian help BEFORE he was elected. The legal, intelligence and homeland security elements have all confirmed that the help was given and by the Russians. This help benefitted Trump. Trump has lifted sanctions on a hostile nation that attacked our election process. On an emotional note, I also saw Trump kissing P's rear on world television; hardly "proof" but nausiating none the less.

We darn near ended up in a depression in 07/08. Lots of people hurt and hurt badly. We still did not learn. I fear it will take a full on depression for us to find our unified self again but, even with that, the momentum is against us now. I believe we are in the throws of the end of a Democracy. I will not be able to pass along to those that follow me the wonderful nation that allowed for my success. This makes me sad.

Lastly, for those that do not think Trump will win in 2020, I strongly suggest you re-align you're thinking. You seem incapable of traveling down to the gutter to understand the true genius of someone like Trump (or any other truly talented scumbag). In a way, that is a good thing but it does disarm you in this fight.

Trump attacks the ACA through the courts. He will fail. The news outlets take the other side reporting just how bad Trump is for doing this and just how stupid he is. ALL of this plays into his hand. He tried to do something but the big bad corrupt courts stopped him. Put him in charge of the courts so he can "fix" them (literally). The news media is also "in on it" and need to be fixed. Put Trump in charge of that too. He gets all the points with his fans and perhaps enough of a convincing argument with some in the middle that, with Russia's help, he just might be able to pull it off again. You underestimate a moral less scumbag at your own peril.

As for Barr being a plant, he interviewed for the job saying the obstruction element was ill conceived. Low and behold, he clears the President of obstruction. Even if Congress has a very good case for obstruction within the report, Barr has muddied the waters so much that Republicans in the Senate have the cover they need to keep the guy in office. Oh, and if you really want to re-elect this guy, do a Clinton on him.

This only changes when we change and we are not changing. I'm planning accordingly.

Sometimes I disagree with your posts but this is as clear-headed as any here. My luncheon companions, aka, brain trust, are very worried Trump will be re-elected. Further, I've changed my mind about the possibility Barr might be a stealth plant out to get Trump in the end. Maddow has fully explored the difference in usage of Jaworski's report on Nixon crimes compared to Barr's report where he tipped the scales to a conclusion on obstruction of justice.

Jaworski reported only the evidence with timeline to the Senate Judiciary Committee without conclusions. They used this to go through and make conclusions about impeachment—their job. No leaks of report itself! We found out about it only years later or through actual impeachment hearings.

And here is yet another warning from me to not put up another *sugar* candidate if you want your party to win in 2020.
Literally every candidate I've heard of who has declared on the Democratic side so far is a better campaigner than Hillary Clinton. Every one of them, and there seem to be two dozen.

Biden's about the worst possible choice we could make at this point. He's still a better campaigner than Hillary, but we need to make sure it isn't Biden.

Lastly, for those that do not think Trump will win in 2020, I strongly suggest you re-align you're thinking.
He can't win unless he steals it, and I don't think he can steal it at this point. It's electoral college math. I expect another attempt to steal Florida, but it's going to be a lot harder this time for demographic reasons.

Trump attacks the ACA through the courts. He will fail. The news outlets take the other side reporting just how bad Trump is for doing this and just how stupid he is. ALL of this plays into his hand. He tried to do something but the big bad corrupt courts stopped him. Put him in charge of the courts so he can "fix" them (literally). The news media is also "in on it" and need to be fixed. Put Trump in charge of that too. He gets all the points with his fans and perhaps enough of a convincing argument with some in the middle that, with Russia's help, he just might be able to pull it off again.

The ACA is *popular*. I mean, even people who think it's a mess (like me) want it expanded. Trump won't offer that because the Republicans won't let him. (Don't underestimate how much he is manipulated by those around him. It turns out people with narcissistic personality disorder are easy to con.)

It works well to rhetorically attack unpopular things -- not so well to rhetorically attack popular things. Trump can't read a poll and can't tell the difference. He didn't even plan to win the first time (it was all a scheme to promote his brand) -- he succeeded due to the appallingness of the other Republican candidates, and the Democrats nominating the worst candidate in 100 years, and then the electoral college. He has about as much chance of being re-elected as Andrew Johnson.

No, forget Trump -- worry about the Senate.

Last edited:
I suppose you'd also like to believe that, like Pence, Biden believes God has a "Plan" for him to be President. Or that last year it was someone else who stated “As the president has said, the climate is changing, but what the causes of that are, are yet to be seen.”

Always amazes when members of a forum devoted to a company whose mission statement is to save Earth from climate change, see no irony in supporting empty headed political climate change deniers.
There is a misunderstanding here. Their position is that climate change is happening but ALL of the contributions are not clear. They are not climate change deniers but are adverse to completely killing certain types of energy (and the economy).

Trump is outright claiming in court that he can't be prosecuted because he's President. This idea is anathema to the American legal system -- he's literally claiming the powers of a King -- but he's pushing it really hard and some corrupt Republican judges are going along with it (thankfully all in the minority so far).

This is why it is imperative that Trump be prosecuted. To firmly establish the principle that nobody is above the law, and that being President does not make you King.

(If he were cooperating with the civil and criminal investigations like Bill Clinton did, then it would not be a big issue for me. He's instead trying to declare himself above the law. Last guy who did this was Nixon.)
A sitting president cannot be indicted.

Just because someone does not like a president, does not mean they can bring phony charges against him/her in an attempt to remove him/her from office. That would be subverting the will of the people and considered a coup. It looks like that may be what happened. I suppose it will be looked into. So, the people that tried to prosecute Trump, may be the ones that ultimately are prosecuted.

Also, I found this quote to be interesting from Michael Avenatti’s alleged extortion attempt of Nike...Avenatti allegedly said that “90 percent of that is going to be bulls–t because it’s always bulls–t 90 percent of the time, always, whether it’s R. Kelly or Trump, the list goes on and on — but 10 percent of it is actually going to be true, and then what’s going to happen is this is going to snowball.”
This seems like a window into the techniques of some of these bad actors. This is another reason why the news must be taken with a grain of salt. I believe this quote could also apply to Tesla, based on the level of FUD out there.

The genesis of presidential immunity at Justice was posed with what to do about Spiro Agnew who was actually found accepting bribe money in his office for favors granted when he was governor of Maryland. The argument was that while the president was too crucial and busy to be bothered by trial, the vice president was not and therefore could be indicted. This was used, in effect, as a plea bargain forcing his resignation. (Courtesy Maddow.)

Indictment might force Trump to stop tweeting so the Republicans have a powerful argument.

There is a misunderstanding here.
Indeed.

Their position is that climate change is happening but ALL of the contributions are not clear. They are not climate change deniers but are adverse to completely killing certain types of energy (and the economy).
Then they are climate change deniers with no understanding of basic physics or the economics of renewables. "Killing certain types of energy" will not kill the economy, in fact the opposite.

A sitting president cannot be indicted.
According to Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, Madison, Adams, the writers of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and basically everyone involved in creating the US system of government, YES A SITTING PRESIDENT CAN BE INDICTED JUST LIKE ANYONE ELSE.

No man is above the law.

Who are you to think you know better than the Founding Fathers about the very system of government they created?

Your claim is that the President is a King; you claim that he can murder people and cannot be indicted.

Your attitude seems pretty un-American to me. Perhaps you'd prefer North Korea, where that's actually how the legal system works, and their "President" is also considered a God-King? Trump seems to prefer North Korea (and no wonder). Why don't you move there? Seems like that's where you want to be living.

Meanwhile, here in the US legal system, when a man sets up a fake charity, then steals money from it for his own personal self-aggrandisement, and we have absolute proof of this beyond the shadow of a doubt (which we do), we indict him. Regardless of what office he's occupying.

Last edited:
He can't win unless he steals it, and I don't think he can steal it at this point. It's electoral college math. I expect another attempt to steal Florida, but it's going to be a lot harder this time for demographic reasons.

The ACA is *popular*. I mean, even people who think it's a mess (like me) want it expanded. Trump won't offer that because the Republicans won't let him. (Don't underestimate how much he is manipulated by those around him. It turns out people with narcissistic personality disorder are easy to con.)

It works well to rhetorically attack unpopular things -- not so well to rhetorically attack popular things. Trump can't read a poll and can't tell the difference. He didn't even plan to win the first time (it was all a scheme to promote his brand) -- he succeeded due to the appallingness of the other Republican candidates, and the Democrats nominating the worst candidate in 100 years, and then the electoral college. He has about as much chance of being re-elected as Andrew Johnson.

No, forget Trump -- worry about the Senate.

During the Obama years polls about the ACA all indicated it was unpopular. Very few drilled down to ask why it was unpopular. In the few polls that did, about half the people who did not approve of the ACA didn't think it went far enough. The Republicans found that out the hard way when they tried to repeal it.

Even some of the dimmest Republicans in Congress now understand that trying to get rid of the ACA at this point would be political suicide. The changes the ACA made to the insurance infrastructure in the US are deep enough that there is a chance that completely eliminating the ACA could bring down the entire health insurance sector, or throw it into massive chaos. I doubt the most catastrophic scenarios, but the insurance companies are very nervous about the ACA going away.

I also agree that any Republican is going to face an uphill battle to win the White House in 2020. There are many factors that go against them:
1) The electorate has been getting about 2% less white every presidential election since the early 1980s. Nixon's "Southern Strategy" worked up until 2012 because there were enough whites voting to possibly win the presidency. In 2012 the pundits were saying that a white strategy for Republicans was going to become impossible by 2016, but Trump managed to keep the white turnout similar to 2012, the first presidential election in 30+ years with only a tiny drop in white turnout. This was due to Trump motivating some disaffected white voters to turn out and enough non-white voters being discouraged from voting to make the difference.
2) As you pointed out, Hillary is not going to be on the ticket. She was an epically bad candidate, though probably would have made at least an average president. All the Democrats running this year are better campaigners and more likable.
3) The electoral college map just isn't there.

The chances of Trump (or any Republican) winning any states he lost in 2016 is very low. If Bill Weld were to win the nomination, it would be a very different race, but he's way too liberal to win the nomination. All the battleground states in 2020 will be in states Trump won. A very appealing Republican might be able to pick off New Hampshire or Nevada, but neither of those states are going to go for any Republican the current party would nominate.

The states Trump won that look shaky are:
Lean blue - Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Iowa. All swung heavily blue in the midterms. Just losing two of these would be game over for him.
Toss ups - Arizona, Florida, and possibly North Carolina - Florida has a very corrupt Republican party willing to put their thumb on the scale very heavily, but there are many factors working against them. There has been hand wringing about the GOP trying to do a back door to cripple the initiative allowing ex-felons to vote, but Andrew Gillum said the language of the initiative is clear and the attempts will very likely lose in court. There are also a lot of Puerto Ricans in Florida now and they loath Trump and the Republicans.
Arizona and North Carolina have both seen some big demographic shifts and Democrats have become competitive. Also the Republicans left in Arizona are more often McCain type Republicans than the modern Republicans and they are not interested in more Trump.
Possibly in play - Texas, Montana, and Georgia - Demographic shifts have blued these states too. Republicans remain strong, especially in Texas and Georgia, but a point is coming when there will just be too many people willing to vote Democrat to stop these states from flipping. Montana has had a lot of people move there from California and is liberalizing. After the next census Montana may get a second congressional district and it will be because more liberal coasters have moved in. Montana Republicans are also more like Arizona Republicans than the Southern and Appalachian Republicans.

Trump and the Republicans can afford to lose 1, maybe 2 small states, but losing 1 larger state would be game over.

The Senate is the toughest thing for the Democrats. Their chances of winning a slim majority in 2020 is decent. But their odds of winning in a lot of red states would only happen in a wave election bigger than 2018. A wave election is possible and probably the best thing for the country. There needs to be a large scale demonstration that Trump style Republicanism is not going to be tolerated. That would send the Republicans back to the drawing board to try and rethink their brand. It might also rip apart the party.

Seeing the Republicans as we know them today go the way of other extremist political movements would be a very good thing for both the country and the world.

Indeed.

Then they are climate change deniers with no understanding of basic physics or the economics of renewables. "Killing certain types of energy" will not kill the economy, in fact the opposite.

Attempting to change the energy economy too quickly without the alternatives firmly in place could lead to chaos. Energy is deeply rooted in not just the world economy, but it literally holds the US dollar up because it's the world benchmark currency for crude oil. If oil became a minor commodity, it's unknown what would happen to the US dollar. It could go into free fall and we could see hyper inflation.

However, it's also imperative we move away from oil as quickly as we can without causing chaos. Climate issue aside, there are a lot of other reasons to do it. Burning oil reduces air quality and contributes to a lot of health problems and while we're not running out of oil, we are running out of cheap oil. The stuff left to develop is very expensive, and in some cases very risky to develop. Much of the oil being produced today is heavy oil that requires more refining to make into gasoline which is both more expensive and more energy waste.

If we don't move away from oil as much as possible the world economy faces collapse when the costs to develop the remaining oil get too high.

But economically it's a bit of a tightrope to navigate the switch away from oil without crashing the dollar.

According to Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, Madison, Adams, the writers of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and basically everyone involved in creating the US system of government, YES A SITTING PRESIDENT CAN BE INDICTED JUST LIKE ANYONE ELSE.

No man is above the law.

Who are you to think you know better than the Founding Fathers about the very system of government they created?

Your claim is that the President is a King; you claim that he can murder people and cannot be indicted.

Your attitude seems pretty un-American to me. Perhaps you'd prefer North Korea, where that's actually how the legal system works, and their "President" is also considered a God-King? Trump seems to prefer North Korea (and no wonder). Why don't you move there? Seems like that's where you want to be living.

Meanwhile, here in the US legal system, when a man sets up a fake charity, then steals money from it for his own personal self-aggrandisement, and we have absolute proof of this beyond the shadow of a doubt (which we do), we indict him. Regardless of what office he's occupying.

There are two types of rule/legal system philosophies. It's what my SO calls the Army vs the Navy system. A friend of ours who is retired Navy first observed this difference between the two services. In the Army, if there is not a regulation saying you can do something, it is not allowed. In the Navy it's the opposite, if the regulations are silent, you can do it. This is in part because of the nature of the services. More often in the Navy a commander might find themselves in a situation where they need to make a decision without input from above, so they need the leeway to act independently. In the Army commanders are only rarely out of contact with higher authorities and it's usually in a situation that is going to end badly very quickly.

Legal systems of the states and the federal government are also a mixed bag based on their constitution. For example Oregon is a restrictive state, if the law is silent, you can't do it, whereas Washington is a permissive state where you can do it if the law is silent. A few years ago there was quite a bit of consternation that Washington was a destination place for bestiality fans because there were no laws against it on the books in Washington so it was legal. When a guy got killed by a horse in the act, the legislature fairly quickly passed a law against it.

The US constitution is a permissive document. If US law is silent about something, it's allowed. The constitution does lay out some restrictions on legal exposure for some government offices, but is silent about the president being indictable. Most legal scholars who understand the Constitution believe that because it's quiet on the subject, it should be doable.

The only thing the president can't be indicted camp has to stand on is just a memo written by Robert Bork's office when there was a debate about indicting Spiro Agnew. It has never been decided in court or any law passed about it. Mueller is enough of a traditionalist he's not going to rock any boat, but I would not be surprised if some prosecutor somewhere won't try it on Trump and it will end up in the courts.

Roberts does not like to reverse the court, and there is the Clinton decision that a lawsuit could go forward, so I suspect he would vote to allow the president to be indicted in office. Roberts also sees the existential threat Trump poses to the country and realizes that the votes aren't there in the Senate to convict in an impeachment.

Both my SO and I have the feeling Barr is deliberately stalling. Quite possibly he's waiting for some indictments to come through before releasing the report to Congress. I've had the feeling from the start that Barr has been manipulating Trump to make Trump think he's on his side, but he is really working against him.

When Trump figures out he's been conned by Barr, he's going to be incandescent. Barr is playing to time to get something lined up before that happens. It may be that a number of indictments of key players in the White House are being lined up, or it could mean that some of the corrupt Republicans in Congress are going to be indicted, or both, or something else. Something big is happening under the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.