Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OT

It's pretty easy to be good at targeted retaliatory tariffs -- they're a well-understood tool.

Unfortunately, here in the US, Tariff Man doesn't understand what a tariff is or how it works and is just spewing tariffs at random.
He understands tariffs perfectly. They are under his personal control and thus may be used to solicit bribes. There's nothing else to them.

Most of us, I believe.

If I remember correctly, Native Americans get attacked by police at the highest rate of all.

Native Americans: The forgotten minority in police shootings - CNN

Yep.

As some have said, corrupt police were always unjustifiably attacking poor black and Native people, but in recent decades they've started doing it to everyone. (Not something which would surprise any reform advocate from 1820 in England.) Police reform is another issue where too many layers of government aren't doing what people demand. Some local governments are responding, and there have always been some good police, but too few are.

I should note that I am from the county which had the biggest police evidence-faking / frame-up scandal uncovered in the 20th century. There were undoubtedly worse, but the NY State Police Troop C scandal was the worst to be *uncovered*. Our local juries will not convict people of fake charges like "resisting arrest"; and our local departments have been firing and arresting local police for misbehavior pretty aggressively lately. Unfortunately, I know this mostly just means the corrupt cops avoid this area and go to other jursidictions, but again, there's a reason I like being on the right geographical side of this sort of sorting effect.
Childhood friend of mine was killed by the police in the city I live in 10 years ago. He tragically had schizophrenia, police knew his mental health issues when they received an emergency call from his sister, he had a knife and threatened his father. When the police arrived he was on the front porch holding the knife, he was alone. Police rushed him and he dropped the knife, they tackled him as he turned away heading for the front door. 6 officers were holding him down for 10 minutes (he was a big guy) until his body was lifeless, all while the neighbors and his sister were screaming at the cops. Medical examiner said he died of asphyxiation. No charges of course. Police in my city now have better training on how to deal with the mentally ill, because of this incident. This happened less than a mile away from where I live. I see these officers all the time. I believe only one of them has shown any remorse. My dead friend was a Portuguese immigrant like myself.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
He understands tariffs perfectly. They are under his personal control and thus may be used to solicit bribes. There's nothing else to them.

And destroy jobs, my mom lost her job because of the "Job Creator". Many companies are firing independent reps to cut costs, something I sure he anticipated. My business has lost deals over price hikes but I'm sure he has a strategic plan in store that will make it all better. /SS

I keep hearing most people are in the middle yet most who participate in on-line discussion seem hell bent in pushing the pendulum further to the extremes. I'm pretty sure what happens if we keep going.
Here's a thought exercise: in a country where the biggest political party is "none of the above", what is the middle, and what appeals to the middle?

Reactions: JRP3
And destroy jobs, my mom lost her job because of the "Job Creator". Many companies are firing independent reps to cut costs, something I sure he anticipated. My business has lost deals over price hikes but I'm sure he has a strategic plan in store that will make it all better. /SS
Vile wretched excuse for a human being. But “I’m your favorite president “ Are you ****ing kidding me????????

As a Pennsylvania voter I'm VERY interested to see how 2020 goes, especially if Bernie is nominated.

It's early days, but Bernie does OK in Pennsylvania in the polls.
Statewide opinion polling for the 2020 United States presidential election - Wikipedia

Biden does better though. They probably both lock down the Philadelphia area equally, but Biden does better in the western half of the state. I read this week his campaign is looking to other parts of the country to see what states can be flipped because Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania are already looking out of reach. They are looking at trying to flip Colorado and New Mexico. Considering the large Hispanic populations in those states, it's going to be an uphill battle.

I keep hearing most people are in the middle yet most who participate in on-line discussion seem hell bent in pushing the pendulum further to the extremes. I'm pretty sure what happens if we keep going.

The New York Times looked at that and found truth in it
The Democratic Electorate on Twitter Is Not the Actual Democratic Electorate

I've never considered news accounts objective reality. The issue for me is incident rate per capita and that is pretty clear. You are right about the reporting. White people are not ordinarily harassed by police, although my sons used to complain about them (and so far as I know they are Anglo.)

The police tend to be harder on all young males than other age groups and genders. I've never been arrested, but I've been stopped by the police for speeding here and there throughout my life. Before age 30, I always got a ticket, after I just got a warning. The last time was in my Model S and the cop actually apologized when he let me go. The cop was Hispanic, but I wondered how it would have gone down if I hadn't been white.

I think it was Camus who compared St. Just and De Sad: "St. Just said prove your virtue or go to prison while De Sad replied, open your prisons or prove your virtue." I think above you will find details of an exchange student from Norway who was on their swat team and thus uniquely qualified to carry a weapon in his country. He had to go through two years of college courses in sociology of violence, etc., abnormal psychology, before qualified to carry a weapon. He spoke before our Sacramento Police training facility and was shocked to learn cadets had a few months of all training before issue of a weapon.

There was a recent back to back comparison between a US fatal police shooting of a man carrying a cell phone and a Canadian policeman talking someone down with no violent interaction. As Buddha or Jesus might have said, "It's all in your attitude." Years ago I was with a black girlfriend shopping at an upscale grocery store when an obviously deranged, older black woman, refused to pay for a cart full of groceries and was confronted by three cops at the door. My friend successfully intervened when the cops, frustrated because they could not get the woman out of the store, discussed provoking her into violent action when they could use force to restrain her. The law may be an ass, as Blackstone said, but common sense and emotional IQ can be trained. Not easy these days when we have a poorly toilet trained toddler speaking on a megaphone at the top. That, along with the unaddressed real grievances in this country and elsewhere, is contagious. No wonder we have an opioid epidemic.

I read a few years ago that before video games became ubiquitous, basic training in the military involved desensitizing people to firing guns. A few would show up in basic training well trained in gun use, but most would initially flinch. Now they need to do the opposite and teach fire discipline first because the kids coming into basic have so trained their reflexes to pull the trigger with video games they need to be trained to think more before firing.

Any task you do frequently gets wired into the subconscious and you don't need to think about it. Most of us have had the experience of driving between two places we know well and not remembering anything of the trip. When we learn to drive we need to think about everything, but after a while the body does all the basics for us and the conscious mind is free to do other things. When around other drivers who appear to be unreliable (like weaving in the lane), I focus my conscious mind on what they're doing while the subconscious does the driving bit. Though I also ruminate when driving along and nothing unusual demands my attention (while keeping an eye out for things that might need my attention).

For kids who grew up playing first person shooter games, they have rewired their brains to fire weapons without conscious thought. Couple that with any bias they either bring with them to the job, or pick up on the job and that can turn deadly literally before the person has thought about it.

I mentioned the shooting of Tamir Rice. I've seen the police footage, the poor kid was dead before the cop's conscious mind registered anything about the situation beyond there was a person holding something gun shaped.

20 years ago I was reading about the PTSD many ex-cops have to deal with. I also knew an ex-cop who had severe PTSD from an off duty shooting. Both he and the perp got shot and both haunted him. Community policing has been proven to reduce incidents because the cops get to know everyone on their beat. By knowing them, they get less of the them vs us attitude which frequently creeps into most cops minds over time.

The job requires them to interact with many of the worst in society day in and day out. And humans generalize. If all you see are the mentally ill and criminally inclined, most people are going to see that in the world everywhere.

As for drug use, most is linked to trying to suppress some emotion. During the latter days of the Vietnam War a study was done on troops over there and found 90% were using some kind of substance to cope ranging from marijuana and alcohol to hard drugs like heroin. From the study, the VA braced for a flood of vets needing help getting unhooked after the war and it didn't happen.

That prompted another study of vets and what they found was surprising. About 10% of the vets were still hooked, but the other 80% who were using in Vietnam quit when they got home and had no more interest. Even heroin users found they could quit fairly easily. A high percentage had tried drugs after getting back and found they didn't really want them any more, and an even higher percentage knew where to get them if they wanted them, but didn't bother.

They concluded that when people are trying to suppress some extreme emotion, 90% of people will turn to drugs to cope if they are available. 10% are never interested. Of that 90%, 10% are wired to be addicts and will remain hooked even when the situation changes, but the 80% in the middle will find it easy to drop the drugs when the situation changes.

The areas where the opiod epidemic is worst are the parts of the country that have been impacted the worst by globalization. A lot of people are medicating to kill the despair they feel about their economic future and the economic future of their children.

I've been impacts by the trade war too. The company I contract with has done about 50% of their business with China and even though nothing they make is on any tariff list, the Chinese aren't buying anything American and most of the rest of the world is holding back on buying capital equipment.

I'm still working there, but I've been cut back to 3 1/2 days a week.

The "middle" elected an extreme last time. Now the "middle" seems to be moving in a different direction, not surprising.

The middle was a different demographic last time. Since the 1980s the percentage of whites voting for president drops about 2% every 4 years. This matches the trends in this country's ethnicity changes. The percentage of whites voting in 2016 was almost the same as 2012. This wasn't because the underlying demographics hadn't changed, it was because fewer non-whites turned out and Trump brought out many white voters who had given up voting.

Some of the drop in non-white vote was due to the efforts of Republican state governments who made it tougher for non-whites to vote, but some was also due to the fact that Hillary Clinton didn't really excite many people, of any ethnicity.

I suspect we will see the trend revert in 2020. Some of those states that were run by Republicans are now run by Democrats (like Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin), but the non-voting whites who turned out for Trump turned out because he promised things would be different and their lives would get better. In many cases their lives have gotten worse under Trump and they will probably go back to not voting.

I think it was Camus who compared St. Just and De Sad: "St. Just said prove your virtue or go to prison while De Sad replied, open your prisons or prove your virtue." I think above you will find details of an exchange student from Norway who was on their swat team and thus uniquely qualified to carry a weapon in his country. He had to go through two years of college courses in sociology of violence, etc., abnormal psychology, before qualified to carry a weapon. He spoke before our Sacramento Police training facility and was shocked to learn cadets had a few months of all training before issue of a weapon

If this was a member of Norwegians version of SWAT or Delta group as they are called their base education isn't that different from regular cops. Formally all cops in Norway have a 3 year bachelors degree at the police academy. That is 1 year at school, 1 year out as a cop assistant and 1 year at school again. That includes sociology, conflict resolution etc. and there are a lot more applicants at the police college than they accept. Becoming part of Delta has strong physical and mental requirements and a 8 week boot camp like course to weed out applicants. Though the police college offers lots of further educational courses in detecting and leadership etc. so most cops outside of beat cops have more than just the bachelor.
Just to give you a guys a look into how police education is elsewhere.
But as an interesting bit of information Norwegian police is not regularily armed, but due to heightened threat levels at least in Oslo they have been the last few years. And there have been no wrongfull police shooting as we see in the US. But several incidents of friendly fire incidents and accidental discharges in the lockerrooms etc. so we can always discuss how competent a random cop in Norway is with firearms :) (the Delta group a big exception of course)

• Love
If this was a member of Norwegians version of SWAT or Delta group as they are called their base education isn't that different from regular cops. Formally all cops in Norway have a 3 year bachelors degree at the police academy. That is 1 year at school, 1 year out as a cop assistant and 1 year at school again. That includes sociology, conflict resolution etc. and there are a lot more applicants at the police college than they accept. Becoming part of Delta has strong physical and mental requirements and a 8 week boot camp like course to weed out applicants. Though the police college offers lots of further educational courses in detecting and leadership etc. so most cops outside of beat cops have more than just the bachelor.
But as an interesting bit of information Norwegian police is not regularily armed, but due to heightened threat levels at least in Oslo they have been the last few years. And there have been no wrongfull police shooting as we see in the US. But several incidents of friendly fire incidents and accidental discharges in the lockerrooms etc. so we can always discuss how competent a random cop in Norway is with firearms :) (the Delta group a big exception of course)

The exchange student I referenced could have been Swedish—decades ago. I know, all white people look alike to me.:rolleyes:

The last I heard, the cops in Norway were armed for a few years. But then they gave back their guns because they literally never used them.

Reactions: gene and neroden
According to this, leaving aside, temporarily, further analysis, are more African Americans than white Americans shot by police?
You just randomly changed the question, dude. There are far more "white" people than "black" people total, and there are only a tiny number of Native Americans, so unsurprisingly far more "white" people get shot total than African Americans and far more African Americans get shot total than Native Americans.

However, any random African American is far more likely to get shot by police than any random white person, and any random Native American is even more likely than that to be shot by police. So police, on average, are bigoted.

Some of us know statistics -- do you?

Reactions: gene and traxila
Here's a thought exercise: in a country where the biggest political party is "none of the above", what is the middle, and what appeals to the middle?
Yeah, there have been some studies on this. The "middle" isn't what politicos think it is.

The actual "middle" is a weird combination of things considered "fringe left" and "fringe right" by the establishment, really. Howard Dean was a good example of a politician who appealed to the "middle", until doctored, altered footage was used to suppress his campaign.

(If you don't remember, he said that gun laws needed to be different for rural areas and urban areas.)

Reactions: canoemore
You just randomly changed the question, dude. There are far more "white" people than "black" people total, and there are only a tiny number of Native Americans, so unsurprisingly far more "white" people get shot total than African Americans and far more African Americans get shot total than Native Americans.

However, any random African American is far more likely to get shot by police than any random white person, and any random Native American is even more likely than that to be shot by police. So police, on average, are bigoted.

Some of us know statistics -- do you?
It may surprise you to learn that someone like me knows the difference between raw numbers and proportions, but I knew exactly what I was asking and you knew exactly what you were saying on behalf of your group. We were not referring to proportions or we would have said so, or do I exaggerate your capability as at least high school level? There is likewise nothing deceptive about the graph. It is surprising, interesting and important that the police shoot twice as many white people as black. Disabused, your welcome, dude. poc

I see -- you wrote your intitial question very very oddly. It does technically have the interpretation you gave, but that's not how anyone who was really asking that question would have written it. You were deliberately sounding like you didn' t know how to write in order to try to write a misleading question whose answer is uninteresting.

You name anything at all, it happens to more "white" people than "black" people in the US, simply because there are a lot more self-identified "white" people than "black" people in the US. This isn't actually interesting.

Sickle cell anemia is an exception, but barely! Percentages are the *only* relevant number when looking at anything related to such population groups.

Only per capita numbers are really relevant for determining bias.

Total numbers... well, frankly, the police shouldn't be shooting anyone. I don't think they should generally carry guns at all, just as police in the UK didn't carry guns because the populace didn't want armed men on the streets after the Peterloo Massacre.

The history of why police in the US are routinely armed at all is pretty gross, if you look into it; they were armed for essentially bigoted and racist purposes, it turns out -- to shoot disfavored ethnic groups. (Which ethnic groups that was varied over time.)

You've shown yourself to be an essentially dishonest person. Reported.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Boomer19
My original question was,
"How many of you understand that the police in the us shoot and kill a lot more African Americans than white Americans?"
What could be dishonest in that question?
It's a very concise question, little room to question the meaning. No reference to percentage of population. You knew what the question meant and answered it according to your un-fact-checked mainstream opinion. I showed your opinion to be incorrect and now you are failing to accept that you were incorrect. Come on, you can do better.
I did labor over the word,"understand", I tried to find a word that was not influential but maybe I failed. Sorry if that is what you are talking about (?). poc

Last edited:
I see -- you wrote your intitial question very very oddly. It does technically have the interpretation you gave, but that's not how anyone who was really asking that question would have written it. You were deliberately sounding like you didn' t know how to write in order to try to write a misleading question whose answer is uninteresting.

You name anything at all, it happens to more "white" people than "black" people in the US, simply because there are a lot more self-identified "white" people than "black" people in the US. This isn't actually interesting.

Sickle cell anemia is an exception, but barely! Percentages are the *only* relevant number when looking at anything related to such population groups.

Only per capita numbers are really relevant for determining bias.

Total numbers... well, frankly, the police shouldn't be shooting anyone. I don't think they should generally carry guns at all, just as police in the UK didn't carry guns because the populace didn't want armed men on the streets after the Peterloo Massacre.

The history of why police in the US are routinely armed at all is pretty gross, if you look into it; they were armed for essentially bigoted and racist purposes, it turns out -- to shoot disfavored ethnic groups. (Which ethnic groups that was varied over time.)

You've shown yourself to be an essentially dishonest person. Reported.
Neroden, dude I can't believe how emotional you are! poc

My original question was,
"How many of you understand that the police in the us shoot and kill a lot more African Americans than white Americans?"
What could be dishonest in that question?
It's a very concise question, little room to question the meaning. No reference to percentage of population. You knew what the question meant

Absolutely incorrect. I interpreted it as "Do you understand that a police officer in the US is a lot more likely to shoot an African-American than to shoot a white American", because that is a sensible question, rather than a stupid question. What you actually asked was a stupid question.

Obviously I knew that total numbers of white people shot by police were larger than the total numbers of black or Native American people shot, I just figured you weren't asking a stupid question. Shockingly, you were asking a stupid question, and trying to mislead while doing so.

I answered it with a citation from the CDC which gave percentage data, and pointed out that Native Americans (an even tinier fraction of the population) are even more likely to get shot. It's pretty clear what my understanding of the question was.

If you had been asking an honest question, you would have asked:
"How many of you think that the total number of African Americans killed by the police in the US per year is larger than the total number of white Americans killed by the police in the US per year?"

That would have made it clear that you were asking the stupid question, and would have been neutrally phrased. ("Think" is neutral, "understand" isn't)

You were instead using a contorted phrasing for the purpose of trying to confuse people. I have no problem with getting emotional. GTFO.

(As an aside, I'm not 100% sure whether the total number of African Americans killed by police in the US over its entire history is smaller than the total number of white Americans killed by the police over the whole of US history, due to the period before 1865 -- I had to edit this comment to add the "per year". Precision matters, and your original question was in broken English.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.