Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
10:1 odds that Biden gets their support?
Sadly, yes, Biden will happily take Koch money.

I fear Biden is a terrible opponent to put up against Trump. If Hillary lost to Trump, Biden will lose to Trump as well.

Voters need to be fired up, I am sure Bernie or Warren would be better choices. Think about who would absolutely roast Trump in a debate? Bernie, Warren, Harris? Any of these three would cream Trump in a debate. Biden? No, not so much.

There's an implication in main that Musk should buy a newspaper... how about no.

That's not going to help his image, it's just going to cause that newspaper to be branded as a propaganda mill for an out-of-touch billionaire. (Just look at the Washington Post.)

Well, The Shortsville Times is always for sale, (to the highest bidder).

• Funny
Reactions: bhtooefr
Sadly, yes, Biden will happily take Koch money.

I fear Biden is a terrible opponent to put up against Trump. If Hillary lost to Trump, Biden will lose to Trump as well.

Voters need to be fired up, I am sure Bernie or Warren would be better choices. Think about who would absolutely roast Trump in a debate? Bernie, Warren, Harris? Any of these three would cream Trump in a debate. Biden? No, not so much.
I'm not a Biden fan but he would kill Trump in a debate, and I'm pretty sure he'd win the election against him. He's not Hillary, and a lot of moderate Republicans would support him over Trump, and pretty much all the Democrats who would take anyone but Trump.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and gene
I'm not a Biden fan but he would kill Trump in a debate, and I'm pretty sure he'd win the election against him. He's not Hillary, and a lot of moderate Republicans would support him over Trump, and pretty much all the Democrats who would take anyone but Trump.

Plus any democrat that can do math and has a fiscal 'conservative' streak. Daycare and free college for the masses would hit the top couple of tax brackets pretty hard. Not even sure the others could simultaneously fund all their pet projects plus massive investment in an energy transformation and infrastructure needed to adapt to a warming world. What do you think more moderates would care about, subsidizing daycare and letting the 40% of people who go to college do it for free, or just, you know, having a livable planet so there can still be daycare centers and universities left.

Oil tankers on fire after 'torpedo' attack in Gulf of Oman, oil prices on the rise.
TELEMMGLPICT000200605534_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwciSEN16FbSoBRvKGwClCS0.jpeg

Live Oil tankers hit in fresh 'torpedo attack' in Gulf of Oman amid Iran tensions

Two Tankers Damaged Near Strait of Hormuz; One Suffers ‘Suspected Attack’

This is almost certainly the work of Saudi Arabia. Nobody's named them yet, but "cui bono" applies. Saudi Arabia is the only country which benefits from this. So based on motive, it's them.

Iran's government is sensible and immediately said both that they didn't do it, and that it seemed to be a frame-up job. They are correct. Who benefits from a frame-up job against Iran *and* from creating jitters and scares about oil shortages? ONLY Saudi Arabia.

This is the Saudis' work and it is a pity the US hasn't disconnected from the corrupt Saudis yet.

The Saudis attacked a Saudi ship (naturally, typical false flag attack) and a UAE ship. I wonder whether the UAE will figure it out.

The recent fires on oil tankers east of Oman are definitely bad news. The US is blaming Iran, with absolutely zero evidence. Iran has stated flatly that they didn't do it, and that they are being framed, and Iran is certainly telling the truth: they had no motivation.'

The country which did have motivation is Saudi Arabia. They need to raise the oil price by scaring oil markets. And they have been picking a stupid and unnecessary fight with Iran for nutty reasons for years, so they have a motivation to frame Iran. Plus they want to distract the US from their murder of journalists.

Cicero always said, in detective work, "Who benefits?" Saudi Arabia is the only country which benefits, and it benefits in numerous ways. It also had means and opportunity, in addition to motive.

Saudi Arabia fired at those ships -- count on it.

I think this is a sign that Saudi Arabia is even more unstable than I thought, and I thought it was extremely unstable. Rumor has it that Kashoggi was murdered because he was going to reveal documents showing that the Saudis had smaller oil reserves than they claimed (something which many many people suspected already). Now, the Saudis have resorted to shooting at their own, and UAE, tankers in order to try to drive the oil price up. These are moves of total desperation.

Already, they stopped being able to borrow in their own currency, and now they have trouble borrowing in dollars. Foreign firms now demand a large risk premium to work in Saudi Arabia, which is why the UAE can build big solar farms cheaply, and Saudi Arabia can't get them built at all. MBS has trapped the country in an unwinnable guerrilla war in Yemen for no obvious reason -- and while he's committing war crimes, the Yemenis are able to lob rockets at Riyadh, showing his total ineffectiveness. Attempts to raise taxes have not balanced the budget, but have caused more people to demand a voice in the government. Rumors have it that the Saudis can't balance their budget unless the oil price goes up signficantly.

This is on top of the long-festering conflicts between the Wahhabi religious theocracy leadership and the Royal Family, between the Shia population of the oil producing district and the Sunnis running the country, between the "guest workers" and the Saudi nationals, between the bored Saudi nationals and the royal family, between the bored Saudi nationals and the Wahhabi leadership, between the oppressed women and the male leadership, between the forces calling for civil society and the royals, between the forces calling for civil society and the Wahhabis, etc. etc. It's been a tinder keg for a long time.

But now I really think it's on the verge of utter, total collapse. Could collapse literally any day now.

Hopefully the US will avoid getting into an idiotic war with Iran based on a Saudi false-flag attack.

The recent fires on oil tankers east of Oman are definitely bad news. The US is blaming Iran, with absolutely zero evidence. Iran has stated flatly that they didn't do it, and that they are being framed, and Iran is certainly telling the truth: they had no motivation.'

The country which did have motivation is Saudi Arabia. They need to raise the oil price by scaring oil markets. And they have been picking a stupid and unnecessary fight with Iran for nutty reasons for years, so they have a motivation to frame Iran. Plus they want to distract the US from their murder of journalists.

Cicero always said, in detective work, "Who benefits?" Saudi Arabia is the only country which benefits, and it benefits in numerous ways. It also had means and opportunity, in addition to motive.

Saudi Arabia fired at those ships -- count on it.

I think this is a sign that Saudi Arabia is even more unstable than I thought, and I thought it was extremely unstable. Rumor has it that Kashoggi was murdered because he was going to reveal documents showing that the Saudis had smaller oil reserves than they claimed (something which many many people suspected already). Now, the Saudis have resorted to shooting at their own, and UAE, tankers in order to try to drive the oil price up. These are moves of total desperation.

Already, they stopped being able to borrow in their own currency, and now they have trouble borrowing in dollars. Foreign firms now demand a large risk premium to work in Saudi Arabia, which is why the UAE can build big solar farms cheaply, and Saudi Arabia can't get them built at all. MBS has trapped the country in an unwinnable guerrilla war in Yemen for no obvious reason -- and while he's committing war crimes, the Yemenis are able to lob rockets at Riyadh, showing his total ineffectiveness. Attempts to raise taxes have not balanced the budget, but have caused more people to demand a voice in the government. Rumors have it that the Saudis can't balance their budget unless the oil price goes up signficantly.

This is on top of the long-festering conflicts between the Wahhabi religious theocracy leadership and the Royal Family, between the Shia population of the oil producing district and the Sunnis running the country, between the "guest workers" and the Saudi nationals, between the bored Saudi nationals and the royal family, between the bored Saudi nationals and the Wahhabi leadership, between the oppressed women and the male leadership, between the forces calling for civil society and the royals, between the forces calling for civil society and the Wahhabis, etc. etc. It's been a tinder keg for a long time.

But now I really think it's on the verge of utter, total collapse. Could collapse literally any day now.

Hopefully the US will avoid getting into an idiotic war with Iran based on a Saudi false-flag attack.

Your analysis of the structural weaknesses of Saudi society and the policies of MBS are sound and there is abundant evidence provided by acknowledged experts in the field supporting them. That granted, you provide no evidence only inference that it is plausible this is a false flag attack. Looking at Pompeo's announcement he also provides no direct evidence only that it is possible Iran might have done it. All of his arguments might apply equally to Saudi Arabia. I have no reason to doubt you whereas Boulton and and Pompeo have an interest in stoking flames of war for Trump who is facing problems of his own. To give this a phony academic sheen, I am reminded of one of Aristotle's advices in class on how to avoid rebellion. "Bring distant dangers near."

Reactions: neroden
The way I see things is Iran was the least likely entity to mount the attack. Why invite a war on themselves?

What kind of idiots do those stoking war think we are? Iran is going to attack a Japanese ship while the Japanese Prime Minister is visiting?

Reactions: neroden
Free college tuition could be funded by getting the colleges to stop building gigantic unnecessary buildings, frankly.
Agree....for some reason University's are in a "arms" race to build the biggest and most plush buildings for ...well everything...student's..research...gym's

The ability to continue to raise prices for education and have student's take out loans to pay for those building's is quite a spectacle.
Then if these people can't get a job they CANNOT declare bankruptcy and be relived of the loans..(unlike a certain orange colored idiot)

Reactions: neroden and S'toon
Saudi Arabia is the only country which benefits from this. So based on motive, it's them.

Iran's government is sensible and immediately said both that they didn't do it, and that it seemed to be a frame-up job. They are correct. Who benefits from a frame-up job against Iran *and* from creating jitters and scares about oil shortages? ONLY Saudi Arabia.

This is the Saudis' work and it is a pity the US hasn't disconnected from the corrupt Saudis yet.

Sigh...I'm not going to defend Saudi Arabia but I also wouldn't jump to that conclusion based only upon public information. It's absolutely false that only the Saudis benefit from this. It could have been Russia for example. I wouldn't 100% exclude U.S. based interests either. I would hope it's not the U.S. but it would be false to say this doesn't benefit plenty of American companies whose cost of production is teetering on the edge of profitability. Still, Russia and Saudia Arabia are the most likely but we don't have enough information to say with any certainty.

Sigh...I'm not going to defend Saudi Arabia but I also wouldn't jump to that conclusion based only upon public information. It's absolutely false that only the Saudis benefit from this. It could have been Russia for example. I wouldn't 100% exclude U.S. based interests either. I would hope it's not the U.S. but it would be false to say this doesn't benefit plenty of American companies whose cost of production is teetering on the edge of profitability. Still, Russia and Saudia Arabia are the most likely but we don't have enough information to say with any certainty.
They're all (Saudi, UAE, Israel, Russia, Trump) in cahoots, after fixing the last US presidential election. All well documented. See Seth Abramson here. This actually belongs in the politics thread, doesn't it?

They're all (Saudi, UAE, Israel, Russia, Trump) in cahoots, after fixing the last US presidential election. All well documented. See Seth Abramson here. This actually belongs in the politics thread, doesn't it?
LOL. If you know anything about ME politics it should be that there are two camps. KSA and Iran. Everyone is aligned to one side or the other. Isael, UAE, US are aligned with KSA and Russia with Iran. Don't be fooled by conspiracy theorists like Seth Abramson.

Last edited:
OT

The man once went on a 500+ tweet twitter thread.

He is a straight looney tunes delusional idiot.
Well, if you believe the truth isn't worth defending then you have a point. But, of course, that's exactly the problem we're facing with news regarding Tesla -- tons of garbage out there that needs debunking. 500+ tweets wouldn't even begin to cover it. In the matter of the Trump crime family and the theft and debasement of the US presidency, Seth Abramson is the go to guy. He has all the facts at his fingertips and the legal and journalistic experience to make sense of it all.

This is almost certainly the work of Saudi Arabia. Nobody's named them yet, but "cui bono" applies. Saudi Arabia is the only country which benefits from this. So based on motive, it's them.

The Saudis attacked a Saudi ship (naturally, typical false flag attack) and a UAE ship. I wonder whether the UAE will figure it out.
Jim Wright goes into it at Stonekettle Station. And the UAE is partnering with Saudi on this, so there's nothing they need to figure out.

And no, the big benefit on this goes to... Russia. Their economy depends almost entirely on oil, and a war will cause the price of oil to go up, up, and up. Almost free money.

Status
Not open for further replies.