Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mars and Off Planet Colonization - General Possibilities Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, please. They can take underwear with them to wear under their space suits and other clothes. There's this fabric called denim that lasts a longgggggggggggg time. There are other fabrics that are also durable such that they can take enough clothing/cloth with them. They can take a sewing machine and make clothes. They can walk around naked if they want in their enclosed habitat. Seriously, you're concerned about the supply of clothing?!?!?!

They can take electronics with them. And bearings. Whatever.

But what about washing machines. And a dryer? Can they take that? I heard there's water on Mars, but is there detergent? I think the Rover is looking for it.

But what about washing machines. And a dryer? Can they take that? I heard there's water on Mars, but is there detergent? I think the Rover is looking for it.

I imagine they'll be doing laundry the old way......beat it against rocks (plenty of those on Mars!), wring it by hand, and then hang it out to dry. Or if they take the bearings, they can then 3-D print the washer and dryer. :D

<snip>
We should expand to space as fast as possible. Starting from Mars is too expensive and too dangerous. If first martians die, then we might not try again for long time. Mars base cannot produce anything for Earth. Except some videos. Moon base could do much more.
<snip>
It seems to me that if we're going to expand into space, we should start with orbiting colonies "O'Neil Cylinders" with lunar, or possibly asteroid, mines supplying most of the materials, launched using something like magnetic quench guns.

In addition to removing most of the environmental issues, including gravity, they are close to the Earth so travel would be much cheaper and faster. There also might be some conceivable trade articles such as power, very high vacuum/microgravity manufacturing, tourism, etc. I can't imagine anything that Mars could produce that would be profitable to trade with Earth, and if someone got into trouble on Mars requiring specialized care, it would be between 6 and 12 months to get home.

It seems to me that if we're going to expand into space, we should start with orbiting colonies "O'Neil Cylinders" with lunar, or possibly asteroid, mines supplying most of the materials, launched using something like magnetic quench guns.

In addition to removing most of the environmental issues, including gravity, they are close to the Earth so travel would be much cheaper and faster. There also might be some conceivable trade articles such as power, very high vacuum/microgravity manufacturing, tourism, etc. I can't imagine anything that Mars could produce that would be profitable to trade with Earth, and if someone got into trouble on Mars requiring specialized care, it would be between 6 and 12 months to get home.

You're missing the entire redundancy concept.

Thought I'd throw out that we can live on the surface of mars without the negative effects of radiation. Water is very good at absorbing radiation so all we need to do is either have a dome that is lined in water or a square or rectangle 'roof' that is lined with water. The latter option uses less water but we don't need to take the water there since Mars has been shown to have extensive subsurface ice.

You're missing the entire redundancy concept.
Yes, it's interesting how some forget that Elon's primary reason for going to Mars and establishing a permanent human colony is based on the high probability that at some point in the future humans on earth will be threatened with extinction.

If you project far enough into the future it is a near certainty that will be an issue. So we need to get off earth. Mars is the most earth-like body in the solar system. It is the best candidate for long term human habitation.

... Water is very good at absorbing radiation so all we need to do is either have a dome that is lined in water or a square or rectangle 'roof' that is lined with water...
Or - think like an Alaskan: a Martian style igloo.

Ice is a far more tractable substance with which to construct than is water

Colour me sceptical. I have three children and if anything catastrophic to earth was going to happen tomorrow, then I would hope they could survive by taking to space. But if the earth was in a slow decline or faced an inevitable extinction over a lifetime away, then allow existing humanity to engineer its own obselescene... All things must pass...and concentrate on seeding the galaxy with probes and knowledge using achievable science and technology.

In that the OP's question was not "Why should mankind....?", which is the question most of the answers so far have addressed, but "Why do SOME PEOPLE....?", then I will answer that.

A: As for me, it's because when I was of that age :cool:, I read all the Mike Mars books. <===That should tell the more prescient of you just how old I am!<===

And so, not many years after that, my life's desire became to visit four locations: Antarctica; the ocean floor; the nethermost spot in the USA: Attu Island; and Mars.

One no longer is of the highest desire; one I have achieved; one I came this close to reaching - but because I speak Japanese, when it came time for my grad school prof to allocate locations, I had to spend a summer in northern Japan while my officemate got to dive in the Alvin. And that goodfornothing rat subsequently quit the program to go to veterinarian school! :mad:

And Mars has passed me by: I won't make it. The shame of the world. But I have held a piece of Mars (one of the so-called Mars meteorites) in hand.

I suppose that with SpaceX making reusable rockets, the cost is greatly lowered to airlift a LOT of fuel, food, and supplies into earth orbit, then the ships that make the long ride to Mars can pick it all up there instead of only taking what they can carry in one launch from earth gravity. Like a rocket towing a camping trailer full of supplies. And solar panels. I suppose if they get enough solar power out to Mars, that helps a lot of other problems.

This seems plausible... Just need to seal the top to prevent mass evaporation.

224IgSW

Thought I'd throw out that we can live on the surface of mars without the negative effects of radiation. Water is very good at absorbing radiation so all we need to do is either have a dome that is lined in water or a square or rectangle 'roof' that is lined with water. The latter option uses less water but we don't need to take the water there since Mars has been shown to have extensive subsurface ice.

I recall seeing an interesting article on using water to 3D print your structures on mars. The water will obviously be frozen (printed while still liquid). I believe there is an additive that prevents significant sublimation of the water. Anyway you would be left with a transparent structure that allows sunlight in while absorbing radiation and ultraviolet light. All while being made of locally sourced materials (water). Ice castles on Mars :).