Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• AA385016-5322-4A26-BF6C-BFFB355D9440.jpeg
    AA385016-5322-4A26-BF6C-BFFB355D9440.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 380
  • 961507CE-0020-49A8-8499-2531C15754E2.jpeg
    961507CE-0020-49A8-8499-2531C15754E2.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Thanks for all the useful info in this thread so far, but can anyone tell me if their speedometer/odometer has been affected by these different wheel/tire sizes?

I have a Model Y Performance and I want to swap out the Ubers for a set of MW03 wheels, but I'm torn about what size to get and the corresponding tire.

My main goals are: (1) a lighter wheel for weight reduction and efficiency gains (2) a slightly narrow wheel for less rolling resistance (3) not throw off my speed and odometer - the speed is the bigger issue because it would drive me nuts.

If a narrower wheel (either 18x8.5 or 19x8.5) means I have to get a weird tire size that throws off the speedo, then I probably will just go with the 19x9.5 since I can at least get a tire that matches the size of the OEM 19" and shouldn't have any calculation issues in-car. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this for me? I apologize if these are obvious questions, but trying to figure out 3rd party wheels and tires is new to me.

Thanks for all the useful info in this thread so far, but can anyone tell me if their speedometer/odometer has been affected by these different wheel/tire sizes?

I have a Model Y Performance and I want to swap out the Ubers for a set of MW03 wheels, but I'm torn about what size to get and the corresponding tire.

My main goals are: (1) a lighter wheel for weight reduction and efficiency gains (2) a slightly narrow wheel for less rolling resistance (3) not throw off my speed and odometer - the speed is the bigger issue because it would drive me nuts.

If a narrower wheel (either 18x8.5 or 19x8.5) means I have to get a weird tire size that throws off the speedo, then I probably will just go with the 19x9.5 since I can at least get a tire that matches the size of the OEM 19" and shouldn't have any calculation issues in-car. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this for me? I apologize if these are obvious questions, but trying to figure out 3rd party wheels and tires is new to me.
Yeah, finding a tire that matches the overall size would be key.

May want to wait and see what martian does about the customer in this thread who got wheels that weighed 3.5 lbs more than what they told him.

Did anyone ordered the Martian Wheels MW03 in 19x9.5" +45 offset for their Model Y? Site specs are 19.5 lbs but I weighed them at 23 lbs. This is 3.5 lbs and much more than I was expecting. So strange and disappointed as I bought them for the weight saving performance.

Can you post a pic of the wheel on a scale? @Woundman and @TonyJag have reported inaccurate weights. Anyone else showing higher wheel weights?

Last edited:
Hi - I've just ordered a set of the Martian 18x7.5s for my M3P and wanted to get some advice on the best tire to go for to totally maximise efficiency ( @TonyJag ?).
Yes, but before you call Drew, try different scales. I used a luggage scale, a fish scale and a bathroom scale.

Basically, will a 205/45 or 215/45 EU B rated tire give better Wh/mile than a 225/45 A rated? Or are there too many other variables?

Second question: Will the stock Tesla aero covers from the SR+ fit onto these wheels?

You mentioned my name. All of the tires in the rolling resistance study are with standard
Would message them to see what Drew says, 3.5lb seems like a lot of deviation almost 20%.

Use a tyre comparison calculator. Look for an option which matches the original diameter the best, and is easilly available as well. If you compare the diffrent original tyre options, you see that they differ a little bit as well. If it is within 1%, it's fine.

255 works on a 8,5" rim, better rim protection from the tyre. They can build a custom wheel in 9" with, which would be optimal size I guess.

Can you post a pic of the wheel on a scale? @Woundman and @TonyJag have reported inaccurate weights. Anyone else showing higher wheel weights?
I didn’t take a photo but how I weighed it was first myself standing on the scale and then myself holding the wheel. I math the difference and came to 23 lbs. Have no reason to make this up. It is actually a hassle for me to deal with this. I have emailed Martian Wheel and awaiting a response.

Use a tyre comparison calculator. Look for an option which matches the original diameter the best, and is easilly available as well. If you compare the diffrent original tyre options, you see that they differ a little bit as well. If it is within 1%, it's fine.

255 works on a 8,5" rim, better rim protection from the tyre. They can build a custom wheel in 9" with, which would be optimal size I guess.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I could get 245/45/19s pretty easily and significantly cheaper than 255s, plus the difference seems very minimal.
B8155073-5B8C-4DD6-8CC7-2FDF4CE94397.png

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I didn’t take a photo but how I weighed it was first myself standing on the scale and then myself holding the wheel. I math the difference and came to 23 lbs. Have no reason to make this up. It is actually a hassle for me to deal with this. I have emailed Martian Wheel and awaiting a response.
Oh I never said or implied you were but I think pictures would help the community. Martian being a new wheel brand has some unknowns and it would probably help the questions being asked here better.

Oh I never said or implied you were but I think pictures would help the community. Martian being a new wheel brand has some unknowns and it would probably help the questions being asked here better.

No worries. I didn't take it that way at all. It is just a bit difficult holding a 23lb wheel with my hands and trying to snap a photo at the same time. The wheels don't sit properly by itself on the scale so I can't take a photo that way either.

Status
Not open for further replies.