Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone with a early May order received theirs yet? Ordered 18x8.5 gunmetal on 5/9 and still waiting impatiently. Curious to see these on my MY PUP.
Mine were ordered in late April and arrived last week.
Good News - They were able to get the last tire on. They bumped the pressure up to 95 psi and finally got it on.

Bad News - My 21mm socket is too big for the Martian Wheels. What are you guys using to install lug nuts on these?

I did install two of them just to snap a before and after pic though.

View attachment 562605 View attachment 562606

I went to a local auto parts store and bought a regular deep socket. I did have a hard time getting the wheel caps on and ended up using a rubber mallet.

Sorry for the bad angle/pic.

20200714_175243.jpg

I went to a local auto parts store and bought a regular deep socket. I did have a hard time getting the wheel caps on and ended up using a rubber mallet.

Sorry for the bad angle/pic.

View attachment 564616

When the tech was trying to install my 'MW' center caps, he was having trouble with them too. I didn't want the 'MW' center caps anyways and just installed the Tesla ones.

Finally got my tires & TPMS mounted. I'm very happy with the apparently quality of these wheels. The finish (gunmetal) is very impressive as well.

Wheels: 18x8.5 ET35 in "Gunmetal"
Tires: Pirelli P-Zero All Season Plus 235/45R18 XL
weight: 43 lbs (through analysis, have not actually weighed however)

Other initial thoughts:
*I'm undecided at the moment on center caps and lug nut covers. I'm going to run one side with Tesla center caps and lug nut covers from their $50 Aero wheel kit and see how I like the look. I actually LOVE the open wheel hub nut, but am worried about a ton of crap getting in there.
*The weight reduction is apparent in the driving experience
*My car is NOTICEABLY quicker in acceleration after ditching the 52+ pound 20" Sport wheel/tire combos.
*The steering response is also sharper, although the Pirelli's do not respond as well as the Michelin PS4S's to aggressive maneuvers (to be expected, of course).
*Perhaps I could have gone with ET28 they offered for a while... that 7mm of "poke" could have looked nice.
*A solid reduction in wHr/mi (mostly due to the tires). I've only driven about 15 minutes, so nothing is remotely scientific yet.

Overall: I would DEFINITELY purchase these wheels again. If Martian Wheels had more proactive (and realistic) communication, I'd give this product an A+ rather than my current "A"

View attachment 563716 View attachment 563717 View attachment 563718
Very nice! I now have the 18x8.5 wheels and am trying to decide on tires. I had planned to go with the stock MXM4 Primacy, but have read many negative Tire Rack reviews, particularly on poor tread life for a 500 rated tire, and not just on Teslas. How are the Pirelli's regarding tread wear, rolling resistance, ride, and noise compared to the original 20" Michelins?

Seeking thoughts on the best all-season 18" tires for my new MW03 18x8.5 wheels. I had planned to go with the stock MXM4 Primacy, but have read many negative Tire Rack reviews, particularly on poor tread life for a costly 500 rated tire, and not just on Teslas. Criteria include: cornering, tread wear, rolling resistance, ride, and noise compared to the original 20" Pilot Sport 4S Michelins.

Great Summer tires, but I think he is looking for all season.

I had Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS on my BMW that I really liked, but only had them on for 2k miles before I sold it to get the Model Y so can't comment on tread life.

The 4S does well in the cold and wet, but not if there is snow. In Texas they are the perfect tires, even in winter. The Pilot Sport a/s3+ and Pireli P Zero AS+ are excellent choices too.

Reactions: TonyJag
Seeking thoughts on the best all-season 18" tires
If it has to be all season, consider getting Continental EXTREME CONTACT DWS 06, the are really good in my experience.

If you can get by with summer tires, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are second to none.

Summer tires generally have best in class dry and wet traction (Summer tires does better at rain then all season tires)
The issue summer tires have with freezing (or well, below 44f) / snow is not the threads or shape, its the actual material they are made from, it simply doesn't do well at those temperatures.

Most guidelines I read say that if at any point your tires are below 44f even in storage ... you shouldn't use them until they warm up for 24hrs, so if your garage dipped into high 30s over night, and outside is low 60s, you should still not use summer tires until they had 24 hours above 44f

Reactions: iSpine and TonyJag
Very nice! I now have the 18x8.5 wheels and am trying to decide on tires. I had planned to go with the stock MXM4 Primacy, but have read many negative Tire Rack reviews, particularly on poor tread life for a 500 rated tire, and not just on Teslas. How are the Pirelli's regarding tread wear, rolling resistance, ride, and noise compared to the original 20" Michelins?

Tony-

I obsessed over TireRack ratings for longer than I'd care to admit.

My criteria ended up being:
1) UHP All seasons - I almost talked myself into going Grand Touring - All Seasons, but couldn't justify a step down from Max Perf Summer, through the whole UHP All Season cateogry, down into the Grand Touring category. For that class, I was looking at Continental PureComfort LS, albeit in 245/45/18 XL 100 as they didn't have a 235 tire in XL load rating.
2) Something in 235 width, XL rated - wanted the "stock" width for a Tesla (although much narrower than the T0-spec PS4S's) to recover as much rolling resistance as within reason. I maybe could have gone 245, but would probably not go 255 on my daily driver.
3) Noise rating (since this is an electric car, and coming from tires with foam)
4) Dry & Wet performance
5) Rolling Resistance
6) Price (last!)

I'm only about 50 miles into these tires, with very little highway time. At first glance, they're:
* Quieter than the PS4S's in general. But that's not fair because they had 12k miles and these Pirelli's are brand new. Also, I believe on bumps the Pirellis make a little bit more noise than the PS4S. Perhaps the PS4S foam was helping out?
* More comfortable ride, but that's not fair either. I have a LOT more sidewall, so that's to be expected.
* Better ride over bumps, but that's not fair either. Thanks to losing ~10-lbs a side with the MW03's, the suspension reacts better.
* Much better efficiency, but that's not fair because of course a UHP A/S tire has less rolling resistance than a Max Perf Summer tire. Plus this tire is over 1-in narrower on the contact patch.

I shopped Continental Extreme Contact DWS06's, which I had on a BMW and really liked. Tread wasn't too quiet though, and they were fairly high rolling resistance (... and had the performance to match).

Its very early, but right now I'm happy with the choice and I would buy the Pirelli P-Zero Plus All Seasons again. The only thing I don't like is that they don't look special at all... very much a bland tread pattern and sidewall design. In general, me and everyone else will probably stare at the MW03's and the red brake calipers, but still... the tires could look better.

Hope that helps... back to the Martian Wheel channel :)

• Informative
Reactions: Atraf and TonyJag
Tony-

I obsessed over TireRack ratings for longer than I'd care to admit.

My criteria ended up being:
1) UHP All seasons - I almost talked myself into going Grand Touring - All Seasons, but couldn't justify a step down from Max Perf Summer, through the whole UHP All Season cateogry, down into the Grand Touring category. For that class, I was looking at Continental PureComfort LS, albeit in 245/45/18 XL 100 as they didn't have a 235 tire in XL load rating.
2) Something in 235 width, XL rated - wanted the "stock" width for a Tesla (although much narrower than the T0-spec PS4S's) to recover as much rolling resistance as within reason. I maybe could have gone 245, but would probably not go 255 on my daily driver.
3) Noise rating (since this is an electric car, and coming from tires with foam)
4) Dry & Wet performance
5) Rolling Resistance
6) Price (last!)

I'm only about 50 miles into these tires, with very little highway time. At first glance, they're:
* Quieter than the PS4S's in general. But that's not fair because they had 12k miles and these Pirelli's are brand new. Also, I believe on bumps the Pirellis make a little bit more noise than the PS4S. Perhaps the PS4S foam was helping out?
* More comfortable ride, but that's not fair either. I have a LOT more sidewall, so that's to be expected.
* Better ride over bumps, but that's not fair either. Thanks to losing ~10-lbs a side with the MW03's, the suspension reacts better.
* Much better efficiency, but that's not fair because of course a UHP A/S tire has less rolling resistance than a Max Perf Summer tire. Plus this tire is over 1-in narrower on the contact patch.

I shopped Continental Extreme Contact DWS06's, which I had on a BMW and really liked. Tread wasn't too quiet though, and they were fairly high rolling resistance (... and had the performance to match).

Its very early, but right now I'm happy with the choice and I would buy the Pirelli P-Zero Plus All Seasons again. The only thing I don't like is that they don't look special at all... very much a bland tread pattern and sidewall design. In general, me and everyone else will probably stare at the MW03's and the red brake calipers, but still... the tires could look better.

Hope that helps... back to the Martian Wheel channel :)

Thanks so much for your thorough reply and recommendation! Others have also suggested the Pirelli All Season Plus. I have had good experiences with Pirelli tires over the years, beginning with Cinturatos on my 1961 Corvette. I can still remember how they transformed the handling. More recently, I had P ZERO NERO 205/55 ZR16 on my 2002 Acura RSX-S, with great results. Do only Michelins have the foam to suppress noise?

Silver 18x8.5 finally mounted. Installer had no issues. Put on CrossClimates to support the work driving. Now I just need to find some Tesla Center caps that fit the wheels.

Took it for an initial spin. Still corners on rails, little more tread growl at some speeds that the PS 4's, but I need to get the tires broken in.View attachment 565686 View attachment 565687

Nice. I don't see any weights, so it must have balanced nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.