Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by the Hagerstown Outlet today at 2 pm on the way back from picking my son up at Penn State. Construction has started, but there is a lot to do still. It looks like all that has been done is the installation of the Tesla charging posts (the structure that houses each charge cable), and conduit has been layer in the ground. No transformers were in sight. No charging equipment, etc. was on site. No wiring appears to be run in the conduit. And there was no construction crew present. Took some photos on my iPhone, but don't know how to post them here. In any event, it does not look like this location will be operational by the end of the year.

In this regard, when I spoke to the Supercharger group a week ago, they told me that the Lumberton, NC location, the Santee, SC location, the Savannah, GA location and the St. Augustine, FL location should be operational no later than the middle of January, 2014, although they were hoping for the end of December, 2013.

The charging equipment (three supercharger bays) are onsite in Hagerstown in a side parking lot right before where the actual supercharger posts are. Most of the wiring seemed to be there, but the crates for the superchargers were are still covered. I stopped by on Thursday and saw them there.

Interesting side note: there's some discussion elsewhere on TMC (Charging Standards section) noting that Tesla has chosen quite a few Simon / Premium Outlets properties for their superchargers. It makes logical sense, given that outlet malls tend to be located near highways and away from city centers.

I was thinking about this because I'm curious if anyone has speculation or leads on the other red dot in Maryland, which I think moved up from 2015 to 2014 during the last big map update. To me it looks like Salisbury, and I know there's a mall right alongside the Route 50 bypass. It could also potentially be at the Ocean City outlets. But the mall is Rouse Properties, not Simon, and the outlets are Tanger, not Premium Outlets, so I also wonder if Tesla works commonly with either property manager.

I drive from DC to Ocean City almost every summer. While I'm confident I could make it one way without charging, I haven't seen much in the way of destination charging, so a supercharger along the way would make the trip less stressful. I did see two Model S on last summer's trip, which was between ordering and delivery for me so I was keenly aware and constantly on the lookout for them on the road. I was also refreshing the order status page like 5x/day. :)

The conduits I saw had no wiring in them. There was only one visible conduit that had wiring in it; an existing conduit that was damaged by the construction crew, and had a hole in it. That conduit has wiring in it, but it is not associated with the superchargers. The photos I took do not show any equipment crates nearby.

I live 5 minutes from the DE supercharger and about every 10-14 days go over for a cup of coffee, a charge, and to meet Tesla owners and talk up the car with other interested people. I have yet to go over when all 4 bays are full. I know it happens (been told it happens) but have not personally seen it. As the SC network rolls out and we get more Teslas (S, X and Es) on the road I am certain that they will need to have 8-10 bays there.
20130802_195936.jpg

Ta-da! I've had 6 trips to the Newark SC. Once, it was full (above), twice there were 3 Teslas + 1 ICE'd spot, once it was only me and the other two times there were two of us.

And pretty excited about the Hagerstown SC. I think it's a great location for travelers. Coincidentally, I told my wife that the parking lot would be a great SC location as we drove past it 3 weeks ago en route to Kentucky in our ICE before I read this thread! I agree on the risk that people will "overstay" while shopping, but hopefully we'll have some degree of consideration among friends.

View attachment 40335

Ta-da! I've had 6 trips to the Newark SC. Once, it was full (above), twice there were 3 Teslas + 1 ICE'd spot, once it was only me and the other two times there were two of us.

And pretty excited about the Hagerstown SC. I think it's a great location for travelers. Coincidentally, I told my wife that the parking lot would be a great SC location as we drove past it 3 weeks ago en route to Kentucky in our ICE before I read this thread! I agree on the risk that people will "overstay" while shopping, but hopefully we'll have some degree of consideration among friends.

Proof of life at the Delaware I95 SC. If I see any of my TMC friends there I will buy you a Starbucks. (If it is Nigel, I may owe him a beer..another thread..another day)

Proof of life at the Delaware I95 SC. If I see any of my TMC friends there I will buy you a Starbucks. (If it is Nigel, I may owe him a beer..another thread..another day)

Haha. The Hagerstown is key for us heading south. It will take the range anxiety out of our trips to Baltimore and DC. I'd rather see Harrisburg because it is more direct for us but Hagerstown will do. :)

It's a few days away from being up. Pictures and comments on the other thread, TM, had all concrete poured, equipment in, just some wires to pull and connect. The crew has been working this hard the last few days.

I would love to hear an update too. I am looking forward to using the Hagerstown SC to go snowboarding at Whitetail. Right now with the hills and cold it just isn't doable for my S85 from Woodbridge, VA.

Hagerstown will open this Sat. 18 Jan. I asked about charging at the Rockville Service Center this Sat., and they told me I would get a better result at the Hagerstown SC, which would be open then. They are loaning a car to them as a test vehicle. Expect a press release Thurs. 16 or Fri. 17 Jan.