Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master cylinder brace review! Better value than MPP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I just installed the HPS Performance master cylinder brace. Of course I’ve looked at mountain pass brace for a while now but then I saw hps released theirs since I already have their skid plate I figured I’d give them a try.

Fitment is great, very straight forward install. The brace looks super beefy and comes with all the bolts etc.

Initial driving is what I had expected. The brakes grab way earlier, no spongy feel anymore on hard braking. For the price this is a great deal since it’s almost $100 cheaper than mpp and does the same exact thing. Definitely a bang for your buck mod. I highly recommend it to anyone!

Attachments

• IMG_0598.jpeg
    IMG_0598.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 366
Yeah I fully understand the value, and given the simplicity of the requirement I have no doubt this product works as advertised.

I am only curious where the community will land on what is pretty clearly a functional replica of MPP’s product—specifically, I doubt this product would exist had MPP not done all the design, research, and market validation first. On the one hand I certainly feel for MPP because I also know what it is like to have others gain from your own work and ideas. On the other hand, some may contend that such competition drives innovation, and I can certainly acknowledge I would hate if MPP stopped pushing Teslas forward. And on the third hand(?) I have also successfully used eBay turbo kits back in the day when there was no way I could have afforded the fancier race-proven, made-in-America setups—that part of me still supports affordable alternatives which allow more people to upgrade their vehicles.

I am also assuming MPP wasn’t able to secure a robust utility patent (something like “using a solid structure affixed to the [bolt holes / member] that reduces forward deflection of the brake master cylinder when pressure is applied to the brake pedal”).

Yeah I fully understand the value, and given the simplicity of the requirement I have no doubt this product works as advertised.

I am only curious where the community will land on what is pretty clearly a functional replica of MPP’s product—specifically, I doubt this product would exist had MPP not done all the design, research, and market validation first. On the one hand I certainly feel for MPP because I also know what it is like to have others gain from your own work and ideas. On the other hand, some may contend that such competition drives innovation, and I can certainly acknowledge I would hate if MPP stopped pushing Teslas forward. And on the third hand(?) I have also successfully used eBay turbo kits back in the day when there was no way I could have afforded the fancier race-proven, made-in-America setups—that part of me still supports affordable alternatives which allow more people to upgrade their vehicles.

I am also assuming MPP wasn’t able to secure a robust utility patent (something like “using a solid structure affixed to the [bolt holes / member] that reduces forward deflection of the brake master cylinder when pressure is applied to the brake pedal”).

Thanks for the support. At least this one isn't a total blatant knockoff like some other MC braces out there!

There are always going to be companies who take our ideas and make a cheaper, less elegant version of them to achieve a lower pricepoint. That makes sense.

The trouble is when the parts are made with questionable labor and quality control, which is common with overseas parts. I have no idea if that is the case with this product, but we generally feel that if we are fortunate enough to be able to buy parts to upgrade our Model 3's, it's not unreasonable to ensure the people who are making them aren't suffering to do so.

Patents are incredibly expensive and even more expensive to enforce. We have a few patents pending at the moment for some items, but really in our industry, it comes down to community education and support. We're not in an industry where a single idea or product makes tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, so the legal system just isn't a feasible path.

When the community points out copycats and forgeries, that alone helps educate others who might have otherwise purchased a knock-off part having never known it was a copy.

So we're really thankful to everyone who helps point out who the original parties that come up with certain ideas and products, and hopefully that makes most of the difference!

We agree that it would be totally unreasonable to think that there should be no competition. The big problem is when people who are really good at marketing and promotion get more sales of a knocked-off part compared to the original company whose strengths are typically more in product development and design.

Thanks for joining my TED talk.

I don’t have any MPP parts, never dealt with MPP, and don’t have anything negative against MPP.

My thoughts on the subject are MPP didn’t originate the concept of a brake master cylinder brace; they were available in other cars long before Teslas were around. MPP created one for Teslas. So I don’t think getting a patent is realistic. Plus, as MPP mentioned, it isn’t financially beneficial considering the type of product. (Ease of entry)

IMO, it’s a matter of time before more and more aftermarket parts become available to Teslas that are available to other makes/models. It’ll be up to businesses test market validation. Yes, there is risk, but there is also reward; being the first, and only, to market. Again, don’t follow MPP, but I’d assume they are benefitting from being first to market, or very early to market, with respect to Tesla parts.

This is pure capitalism. Concept isn’t unique, so it should be up to the market to decide what quality, price, design (machined vs stamped in this case), and value they want. It should also be up to the businesses at what design/value they want to offer, price point, what is an acceptable margin, and whether or not they want to risk gettin into a new market.

I'll just say that I did not notice any difference with a brace on my car, and I track my car. I then went and measured it with a micrometer, and I found that on my car, the brake master cylinder actually pulls away from the brace when you push on the brakes. Which makes some sense when you look at the moments and forces. I even made a video showing it. I'd love to see someone throw a strain gauge on their brace and show the forces it's resisting.

But others seem to love them. They're inexpensive and easy to install.

I'll just say that I did not notice any difference with a brace on my car, and I track my car. I then went and measured it with a micrometer, and I found that on my car, the brake master cylinder actually pulls away from the brace when you push on the brakes. Which makes some sense when you look at the moments and forces. I even made a video showing it. I'd love to see someone throw a strain gauge on their brace and show the forces it's resisting.

But others seem to love them. They're inexpensive and easy to install.

So how does the brace work...? I'm confused

Interestingly, as gearcruncher described, it actually does look like the master cylinder pulls slightly toward the firewall in the video. I wonder if the slight preload from the brace does most of the work to minimize the movement upon brake application?
yeah it seems like the "foot" of the brace will pull up snug against the master cylinder and does its job to minimize the flex

Reactions: Lindenwood