Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, the basic voice commands before they added additional ones always worked well. With the most recent FW (50.7) they’re terrible. It doesn’t even recognize the basic commands anymore such as call....., navigate to....., etc. I tried to place a call through voice command yesterday and it took at least 5 minutes to place the call after repeated attempts of it not responding.

Anyone else get the impression that these last few software releases have greatly reduced the number of on-screen visualizations of things they actually care about (cars, bikes, pedestrians) in order to show things that are, in my opinion, less important like cones and trash cans? Even though the car is most likely still perceiving pedestrians and such, I would feel more comfortable driving around them if the car would show that it can see them. I don't care so much if I clip a trashcan but hitting a pedestrian is something I would like to avoid.

[furiously knocking wood]

Since .7, voice control is about 90% improved. As in, 90% of the time it works first time, every time. In fact, for the past four days it's only failed once, but when I tried a few minutes later it worked great.

Also, I've never experienced the ping-ponging while in auto steer since I bought the car. Just the opposite. It hugs the center when driving straight, coming into curves, coming out of curves. I've used it it heavy traffic, light/no traffic, day and night. I've used it as the driver and monitored it as a passenger. I do not have FSD, only AP.

I don't know why there seems to be different experiences for different users. My Stealth was built in Nov. 2019. I am at a loss as to why these updates seem to work great for some and are disastrous for others.

[furiously knocking wood]

Since .7, voice control is about 90% improved. As in, 90% of the time it works first time, every time. In fact, for the past four days it's only failed once, but when I tried a few minutes later it worked great.

Also, I've never experienced the ping-ponging while in auto steer since I bought the car. Just the opposite. It hugs the center when driving straight, coming into curves, coming out of curves. I've used it it heavy traffic, light/no traffic, day and night. I've used it as the driver and monitored it as a passenger. I do not have FSD, only AP.

I don't know why there seems to be different experiences for different users. My Stealth was built in Nov. 2019. I am at a loss as to why these updates seem to work great for some and are disastrous for others.

I realize this is asking a lot and you probably don't have a way to facilitate this request but if you do, can you record video of your car while you go for a drive on the freeway? I would love to see if it looks like your car has trouble staying in the center because I can definitely see on the visualization how the car ends up bouncing left and right in the lane while going around a tight curve. I've always wondered if the folks that say their car doesn't do this are just less sensitive to it and their cars are actually acting the same way or if there really is a difference in how your car and my car drives in AP.

I realize this is asking a lot and you probably don't have a way to facilitate this request but if you do, can you record video of your car while you go for a drive on the freeway? I would love to see if it looks like your car has trouble staying in the center because I can definitely see on the visualization how the car ends up bouncing left and right in the lane while going around a tight curve. I've always wondered if the folks that say their car doesn't do this are just less sensitive to it and their cars are actually acting the same way or if there really is a difference in how your car and my car drives in AP.

This post on Reddit said their Service Center was able to fix the ping-ponging by recalibrating their ultrasonic sensors: Lane Centering Issue: Fixed : teslamotors

I park my Model 3 in a relatively tight carport (and subsequently it updated in the carport). So I wonder if where your car is parked can affect the calibration of the ultrasonics during firmware updates.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
This post on Reddit said their Service Center was able to fix the ping-ponging by recalibrating their ultrasonic sensors: Lane Centering Issue: Fixed : teslamotors

I park my Model 3 in a relatively tight carport (and subsequently it updated in the carport). So I wonder if where your car is parked can affect the calibration of the ultrasonics during firmware updates.

I saw that thread. It really doesn't make any sense to me how that could cause the issue especially when there is no adjacent traffic or something for the distance sensors to be picking up and causing the car to move around while also not displaying the little perimeter alert visualizations.

I saw that thread. It really doesn't make any sense to me how that could cause the issue especially when there is no adjacent traffic or something for the distance sensors to be picking up and causing the car to move around while also not displaying the little perimeter alert visualizations.

I've personally seen phantom blips of sonar on my Autopilot UI screen since 2019.40.50. So I wouldn't be surprised if all of the ping-ponging is caused by miscalibrated ultrasonics creating phantom semitrucks on either side of you.

Can definitely see the swaying effect in the visuals on AP and NOA. If you look closely enough when on NOA you can see the straight line (when going straight) get wavy as the car starts to sway.

I try and remember to do that next time I have a passenger.

So far though, my eyeball test sure seems like it's centered, and I don't feel any movement or tugging on the steering wheel on the straights.

For me, the basic voice commands before they added additional ones always worked well. With the most recent FW (50.7) they’re terrible. It doesn’t even recognize the basic commands anymore such as call....., navigate to....., etc. I tried to place a call through voice command yesterday and it took at least 5 minutes to place the call after repeated attempts of it not responding.

Yup, none of my voice commands work now with 50.7.

Ok, just got back from a small errand. I kept my speed a bit low so cars will be passing on either side, through curves etc, with occasional glimpse of the road:

Check this out: Tesla Voice Commands Web App for quick references to all the known Voice Commands introduced with v.2019.40.50+

81513968_10162804938540182_236342077384818688_n.jpg
81553995_10162804944445182_1637523871500337152_n.jpg

Web app: http://teslavoice.glideapp.io

Video overview:

NOTE: I am not the creator of the app, it was created by Pirin (See website for contact info for questions or to submit new voice commands as they become available.

• Love
Reactions: Adrian Cockcroft