Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voice commands initiation

People are saying they use to HOLD the steering wheel button down but the procedure has changed to PRESS and RELEASE.

I've always pressed and released (Sig X P90D was my first Tesla). I usually wait a second until the voice graphic changes to steady listening state (visually changes). Speak too early and it doesn't work.

• Helpful
Reactions: pmifsud
This one drives me crazy! There is almost no way to activate TACC/AP in my car without it lurching uncomfortably due to me removing my foot from the accelerator pedal and the weird transition where it goes to full regen then immediately goes to accelerate to the set speed. I am sure the people behind me are wondering wtf is going on with that guy?

For me its this new 50.1 update. I never used to have a problem with the last and it was a smooth transition. I have to make sure no-one is behind me before I engage autopilot now. Also now I seem to keep getting a msg saying my left pilar camera is blocked/out of action at random points in my drive.

Also I would like to add large overhanging smart signs cause phantom breaking still sometimes & 2 people walking along a path by the side of the dual carriageway caused my car to break quite hard as I was cornering. It must have thought they were a hazard. This all happened on the new years drive back from London central. So the motorways were empty.

Last edited:
Reactions: diezel_dave
Voice commands initiation

People are saying they use to HOLD the steering wheel button down but the procedure has changed to PRESS and RELEASE.

I've always pressed and released (Sig X P90D was my first Tesla). I usually wait a second until the voice graphic changes to steady listening state (visually changes). Speak too early and it doesn't work.

I only get the steering wheel to work at all if I press, speak, wait a couple of seconds, then release. If I release too early, it ignores my command.

Its much easier to just hit the console, speak, and watch the command be (more often) executed.

Why would the console and the steering wheel be different anyway?

9445E07F-2381-4161-B4C7-2799A21B8E48.jpeg
I would have to agree, AP is super all over the place. Some drives are smoother and others is rough. Swings, wide turns, lane changes sometimes are hit or miss. And today AP just quit in the middle of our drive on the highway twice and slammed on the brakes then gave NOA unavailable until next drive however AP worked after that just not NOA. Sitting at a light behind another car, as the light turned green, the car ahead of me moved ( like normal) our car gave the Red steering wheel of death threw on the flasher and said take over immediately. This is our HW3 car as well. I don’t know what is going on with AP but this 40.50.x seems to be all over the place. I’m sure they will sort it. But wow. It’s almost like no one tested it throughly. It got to the point where I just disabled it and drove the rest of the way. Hahah I can’t believe I was a little salty at the car for me having to drive. Lmao. Well come on Tesla hopefully there next updates fixes this messy one. Happy new year to everyone! Best wishes in the new year.

Last edited:
I only get the steering wheel to work at all if I press, speak, wait a couple of seconds, then release. If I release too early, it ignores my command.

Its much easier to just hit the console, speak, and watch the command be (more often) executed.

Why would the console and the steering wheel be different anyway?

Well I have had my model 3... 3 months and when I use voice its press button, speak command and it does it. Since 50.1 that no longer works, if they have decided to change this then should it not be in the release notes? I am now getting 50.5 so I hope this will fix the issues with at least autopilot.

I tried using autopilot for the first time on London's streets and its great for stop start traffic. Likes to wait behind parked cars and when it loses lane markings on the road transitioning through a crossing onto multi lane road instead of staying on the path can sometimes suddenly want to take the one on the left. Its got a lot to learn but I am sure in 2/3 years time I will be sitting in the back :D

Reactions: CharleyBC
View attachment 495318 I would have to agree, AP is super all over the place. Some drives are smoother and others is rough. Swings, wide turns, lane changes sometimes are hit or miss. And today AP just quit in the middle of our drive on the highway twice and slammed on the brakes then gave NOA unavailable until next drive however AP worked after that just not NOA. Sitting at a light behind another car, as the light turned green, the car ahead of me moved ( like normal) our car Resbsteering wheel of death threw on the flasher and said take over immediately. This is our HW3 car as well. I don’t know what is going on with AP but this 40.50.x seems to be all over the place. I’m sure they will sort it. But wow. It’s almost like no one tested it throughly. It got to the point where I just disabled it and drove the rest of the way. Hahah I can’t believe I was a little salty at the car for me having to drive. Lmao. Well come on Tesla hopefully there next updates fixes this messy one. Happy new year to everyone! Best wishes in the new year.

LOL I know exactly how you feel with the frustration of being denied the right to put it in self drive! Wasn't the drive so relaxing up until you had to take control! 99% of my drive into and out of london was autopilot which is quite amazing. But you realise the real task ahead in terms of training software to make decisions like us that are practical and might have to change very quickly again and again.

Reactions: Tholland
LOL I know exactly how you feel with the frustration of being denied the right to put it in self drive! Wasn't the drive so relaxing up until you had to take control! 99% of my drive into and out of london was autopilot which is quite amazing. But you realise the real task ahead in terms of training software to make decisions like us that are practical and might have to change very quickly again and again.
Oh yeah Tesla has a lot of work ahead for sure. But they’re making great progress. ( minus this last update for sure) but way ahead of everyone else that’s for sure. It is for us less stressful but for some it’s not. I think the more you use and the more you understand its limitations the more you will get comfortable.

Reactions: Tron 3
Anyone with SR+ notice the following?
Going into your properties, it now reads "Standard"?
Also, noticed today I no longer have immersive sound.... Wtf!?

I bought in May 2019, and immersive sound was within the partial premium package. Not cool. Big difference in sound quality.

• Informative
Reactions: diezel_dave

I bought in May 2019, and immersive sound was within the partial premium package. Not cool. Big difference in sound quality.
Well I signed up the day they sent the email and now I’m my account it said our LRDM3 is on standard connectivity when I paid for the premium. Maybe they’re having a ton of issue with their servers.

Last edited:

If by connectivity being Standard, mine says that...but I have full Satellite map and traffic visualizations displayed, so...must have Premium Connectivity anyway.

I am not sure where I would find "Immersive sound" as an option, but as I understand it, the SR+ does not have the extra speakers(connected) and sub-woofer required for it.

Do you have Fog Lights?