Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this!!! Yes totally! I can’t stand the way AP will brake to a halt when the car way ahead makes a turn in front of you and easily clears the turn but the AP slams the brakes. Even after slamming the brakes the car then slowly resumes its course. Very dangerous imo, especially when there are cars right behind you.
Pay attention and just put your foot on the accelerator to override. I've been doing that for a very long time.
You do not have to wait for the car to brake or slowly accelerate. AP is assisting. You are the driver. HTH

I just did the Bay Area merge o' death in high speed NOA to test 50.7. That's taking highway 80W to the Maze where Bay Bridge traffic and 80 and 580 merge and split, and then try clawing through the lanes to get onto 24E towards Concord. There are buttresses flying cars above you, and below, it's a concrete water slide ball o' yarn. There are always drivers darting every which way trying to slip in where they wanted to go, others realizing they're totally in the wrong fork and making a harakiri dash across several lanes of dense traffic. It's a panic, and the fact that accidents aren't happening there every half hour is proof of Man's unending potential. I'm too nervous to do this in manual these days, what with 360 degrees of blind spots they're coming at ya fast and crazy, it's like landing a small plane at an international airport among the 747s ;-)

Maze 2020-01-02 at 01.29.07s.jpg

Nicki my Model 3 did it at 65+ in NOA like a champ, slowing for some lane jumping crazies and speeding up to get ahead of others. This is where the 50.40.X software shines. Given a high enough ceiling speed the car smartly DIVES through these encounters. It's astounding. I just kept a hand on the wheel and let 'er rip. I'd come from the Richmond bridge all the way there and then to home off Highway 13, that's a lot of lane changes, 100% in NOA. Version 2019.50.40.7 earned a pass. But I wasn't sure, entering the Maze, and just watching it was so intense that when I got home I lay down ... in my coat and ... fell asleep for an hour.

Last edited:
I just did the Bay Area merge o' death in high speed NOA to test 50.7. That's taking highway 80W to the Maze where Bay Bridge traffic and 80 and 580 merge and split, and then try clawing through the lanes to get onto 24E towards Concord. There are buttresses flying cars above you, and below, it's a concrete water slide ball o' yarn. There are always drivers darting every which way trying to slip in where they wanted to go, others realizing they're totally in the wrong fork and making a harakiri dash across several lanes of dense traffic. It's a panic, and the fact that accidents aren't happening there every half hour is proof of Man's unending potential. I'm too nervous to do this in manual these days, what with 360 degrees of blind spots they're coming at ya fast and crazy, it's like landing a small plane at an international airport among the 747s ;-)

View attachment 495513

Nicki my Model 3 did it at 65+ in NOA like a champ, slowing for some lane jumping crazies and speeding up to get ahead of others. This is where the 50.40.X software shines. Given a high enough ceiling speed the car smartly DIVES through these encounters. It's astounding. I just kept a hand on the wheel and let 'er rip. I'd come from the Richmond bridge all the way there and then to home off Highway 13, that's a lot of lane changes, 100% in NOA. Version 2019.50.40.7 earned a pass. But I wasn't sure, entering the Maze, and just watching it was so intense that when I got home I lay down ... in my coat and ... fell asleep for an hour.
This read made my morning. Idk, I got a chuckle out of it. However I’ve seen this merge and that is one crazy one.

Reactions: Fernand
You aren't seeing any of the AP regressions mentioned here?

I saw some noticeable swaying when V10 first came out. But since then I see less and less of it. Now I can’t remember the last time I noticed. But occasionally I do.

I noticed lane departure seemed more active.

voice command has yet to fail except for commands that I guessed wording wrong.

Little concerned that at some stop lights it can’t always see the traffic lights. Couple times because of sun behind the lights.

Yes I see trash cans and hydrant as cones. No biggy.

I also see better ID of which camera is blocked. Nice.

And auto wipers have worked so far. But not a ton of testing yet.

I’m on HW3 with FSD if it matters.

Keep those updates coming Elon.

On my morning commute, I felt I noticed new speed transition behavior for off-ramps and freeway transitions. As I was taking my off-ramp while on NOA this morning, my speeds adjusted down in 5 MPH increments all the way to 25 MPH in a very controlled fashion even after NOA ended. I wish I would have gotten a video since it did a great job approaching the stoplights. In the past, it would reduce speed, but as soon as NOA ended, it didn't seem to adjust speeds any further.

I know on freeway transitions, the speeds would always reduce as necessary, but this behavior seemed new and more deliberate. I had noticed it in other situations since the update, but couldn't say for certain that it was new behavior.

Perhaps, this was always there and others can confirm, but if it is new, this is a positive sign as we move to NOA on city streets.

We are very excited about the Voice Commands and Phone Improvements coming in 2019.40.50 (following copied and pasted from Teslarati article on Apple News):

Voice Commands

Voice commands are a feature that have been present on Tesla vehicles for a long time. Elon Musk promised that Model 3 owners would be able to do pretty much “anything” via voice commands in the past. For this update, the company has added a plethora of new commands that will allow drivers to focus on the road by controlling additional functions of their vehicles through voice input. The release notes state the following:

Voice commands have been rebuilt to understand natural language. For this initial release, we focused on commands that minimize having to touch the screen so you can keep your eyes on the road. A few areas and examples of what you can say are:

Climate: “Set the temperature to 70”, “Turn on the passenger seat heater”
Vehicle: “Adjust my right mirror”, “Open the Glovebox”
– Navigation: “Let’s go to work”, “Where are the nearby Supercharging Stations”
– Media: “Play the Beatles”, “Search for Joe Rogan podcast”
– Communication: “Call David Lewis”, “Send a text message to Evan”

The addition of these voice commands are aimed towards creating a safer driving environment for everyone on the road. Texting and driving is a dangerous habit that many drivers are guilty of. Among the biggest complaints of the Model 3’s critics involve its touch controls, as they require a driver to briefly take their eyes off the road to make adjustments. With more voice commands, these criticisms are addressed.

Phone Improvements

The additional phone improvements include having a text message read aloud by the vehicle and having the ability to respond by speaking to the car. This is another feature that will increase safety and limit a driver’s need to look at their mobile devices during trips.

You can now read and respond to text messages using your right scroll wheel button. When a message is received press the right scroll wheel button to have your text message read out loud and press again to respond by speaking out loud. You will also be able to view messages as they come in via the “Cards” section of the touchscreen.

To view messages that have been received while your phone is connected via Bluetooth, tap the Application Launcher > Call > Messages. You can read and reply to a message by tapping an entry in the Messages list. To enable this feature, tap the Bluetooth icon on the top of the display, and enable “Sync Messages”. Once enabled you can also choose to play a chime whenever a new text message is received by enabling “Chime on New Message”.

Additionally, if you have favorite phone contacts on your device, you can now easily access them from the Favorites tab of the Phone app.

Note: Notifications need to be enabled on your device from the phone’s Bluetooth settings to send and receive text messages. Due to the limitations of Bluetooth support from your device, you will not be able to send group messages. As usual, Bluetooth behavior may depend on make and model of your device.

It now seems (at least in Dutch on my 3) not a single command works anymore. I suppose this is so silly, we can welcome another update really soon. What stayed the same is that the car does not recognise the example voice commands given.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I have good news! 50.5 Just tested voice and on "one press and let go, then speak to avoid confusion" it recognised almost everything I said. Even increased the air con temperature 1.5 degrees instead of 1 degree just to rub it in! Turned off the seats. But failed when I asked it specifically to turn off the passenger seat, that is me just testing natural requests. Handover to autopilot was smooth as the acceleration caught up with my foots release on the throttle and continued to speed up more aggressive. However my regen was in a limited state so it also could not be as strong a pull.

P.s. I was speaking advanced and correct English on this attempt.

this!!! Yes totally! I can’t stand the way AP will brake to a halt when the car way ahead makes a turn in front of you and easily clears the turn but the AP slams the brakes. Even after slamming the brakes the car then slowly resumes its course. Very dangerous imo, especially when there are cars right behind you.
Yep. Agree as well. Hopefully they are working on this. The car behaves as if it's in an emergency situation and then it slowly/cautiously stutters and resumes. It's WAY overkill and borderline dangerous.

Reactions: diezel_dave
Anyone with SR+ notice the following?
Going into your properties, it now reads "Standard"?
Also, noticed today I no longer have immersive sound.... Wtf!?

I bought in May 2019, and immersive sound was within the partial premium package. Not cool. Big difference in sound quality.

I have an April 2019 SR+ and on my car it still says it is a Standard Plus. I haven't checked for immersive sound but haven't noticed a difference in my sound with the latest updates.

if immersive is missing I would contact Tesla to get it fixed. The SR+ comes with immersive sound (not the extra speakers hooked up but some algorithm that makes it sound a bit better).

Reading the back and forth the last couple of pages triggered the reminder in my mind that those invested TSLA desire for the stock to appreciate (no issue with that, BTW), just as "shorts" spew BS/FUD hoping to drive the stock down. Both types of folks are "biased" forum contributors as they are trying to make money off of TSLA appreciation/depreciation. This goes a long way to explain why "shorts" spew BS/FUD, and why TSLA investors can never find anything wrong with the company they invested in, and/or choose to attack those that may have a singular issue with TSLA. Most people here are here because of their interest in the products Tesla designs and produces, not to lobby to protect a personal investment (one way or the other).

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo and PACEMD
Reading the back and forth the last couple of pages triggered the reminder in my mind that those invested TSLA desire for the stock to appreciate (no issue with that, BTW), just as "shorts" spew BS/FUD hoping to drive the stock down. Both types of folks are "biased" forum contributors as they are trying to make money off of TSLA appreciation/depreciation. This goes a long way to explain why "shorts" spew BS/FUD, and why TSLA investors can never find anything wrong with the company they invested in, and/or choose to attack those that may have a singular issue with TSLA. Most people here are here because of their interest in the products Tesla designs and produces, not to lobby to protect a personal investment (one way or the other).

Oh really? You willing to put some money on that?

I’m still getting ping ponged on 50.5. I have to disengage more frequently for fear of getting too close to cars on curved stretches of freeways.

That said, it’s still light years ahead of the cruise system in the Nissan Altima rental car I drove over the holidays. That thing was constantly disengaging, reengaging, and crossing over lane markers. :eek:
because that's lane keep - meant to try and keep you in lane in case your attention is off or if you fall asleep. it's not auto steer

the only downfall to the newest release is that when i'm cut off or taking off from a stop on AP.. it is a slow creep forward vs quickly self acceleration. other than that, I've not had anything weird happen.
Older versions of TACC used to wait a wee bit longer than it does now, and then rabbit up to the set speed (or as close to it as the car ahead permits). People complained about that. Now it waits less, and does a (more efficient!) chauffeur-like smooth rollout. And people complain. There's no pleasing everyone.

Reactions: evannole