Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VeryGreen:
there's no crc check. Basically it works like this (for s/x, different for 3):

1. Download a patch file from Tesla when your car is scheduled
2. once download completes, apply the patch file to the offline partition (there are two firmware partitions: online and offline) (on both ic and cid)
3. perform integrity checking of the resultant image (obviously failure at an of the steps results in restart from 1)
4. ap2+ cars only, download additional firmware for the ape if it's not already precached. (could be precached if you update to the same version)
5. display the install prompt
6. one install is started - check the version to ensure it's not a downgrade
7. Update ape
8. update gateway and various blocks connected to it (complicated process with many opportunities for failures)
9. tell ape and ic to switch online and offline partition markings around and reboot
10. switch online/offline on cid and reboot.
11. compare versions of ic and ape to what they should be - if different - display update failed even though cid runs new firmware.
12. display update is succesful.

This is just nonsense.

I highly doubt WIFI firmware is being updated very often.

If you want to make dumb excuses for a Tesla tech's dumb excuses go right ahead.

And if it was a well managed install everything should have updated and ended up with failed WIFI.

You don't "wipe" everything and then start with one of the least critical components and then stop.

The Technician wouldn't probably have a clue that, that happened either. He's just blaming tech he doesn't even understand.
Agree. The whole damn car runs on software. I would think that there are massive checks and balances involved in the process. I work for a software company and we just don’t half @“& updates.

Reactions: diezel_dave
This may be the key then. Now we just need someone that doesn't have the issue to create a few fake contacts with special characters and see if that causes their display to crash and reboot.
What do you classify as special characters? I have an iPhone X running iOS 12.4.1 and LR AWD and don't have the crashing. I have contacts with the following: - , ' , / and some with emoji's in the name. I didn't look to see what the emoji's register as in the contacts list in the car. I can. I only tried this once and toggled from first name to last and back to first name. From the video, from reddit, it happens immediately so not sure.

Well that's even more curious then! I have a BMW i3 as well and I'm pretty sure I've used the brake pedal like a dozen times in thousands of miles. It has excellent and powerful regen no matter what temperature it is. Also, if the battery is full, it will simulate regen with the brakes so the driving experience is always consistent. With my Model 3, I never can tell what kind of braking I am going to get from regen anymore. Sure I can see the regen dots but even knowing that regen is limited by a certain amount hasn't really helped me anticipate how much brake force I can expect because the braking torque curve is weird and feels highly variable to me. Sometimes it feels like it comes on strong and sometimes I'm like oh my goodness where is the brake pedal even with the same amount of regen limit dots. I really wish it was more like my i3 where I could always count on a consistent brake force from regen or simulated regen if necessary.

Edit for your edit: I'm a little curious why others don't find this behavior annoying as well. All I can think of is that most folks have never driven a different car with something like hold mode before so they don't really have something to compare to. Since I have an i3 which has excellent regen, I feel particularly let down by the system in my Tesla.
I live in Denver and have had no issue with the regen. Once the battery warms up it's normal as it was since the hold option came available. I only toggle to low regen when it's icy and keep on on standard otherwise.

What do you classify as special characters? I have an iPhone X running iOS 12.4.1 and LR AWD and don't have the crashing. I have contacts with the following: - , ' , / and some with emoji's in the name. I didn't look to see what the emoji's register as in the contacts list in the car. I can. I only tried this once and toggled from first name to last and back to first name. From the video, from reddit, it happens immediately so not sure.

My phone contact list has # and @ in several contacts and my phone is an Android based one. Some times I can toggle back and forth with no issues but not usually more than like 3 toggles. More often though, it crashes on the first time. So far, this is what I know: Android and Apple phones have had the crashing but not everyone has it. I have not seen a report of an Android phone without # or @ in the contact list causing the crashes. Yours is the first Apple phone with "special characters" in the contact list and since it isn't crashing, I guess we can rule that out. The only other thing that I can think of left is that it is caused by an android phone with special characters in the contact list. Once someone reports that that works okay also, then I can't think of any other obvious cause.

I live in Denver and have had no issue with the regen. Once the battery warms up it's normal as it was since the hold option came available. I only toggle to low regen when it's icy and keep on on standard otherwise.

My battery never seems to warm up even on a 40 degree day and after driving on the freeway for 20 miles so I rarely get full regen unless I precondition the car first. When your regen is limited, do you feel like it is variable or inconsistent in the braking force and rate of braking force increase? I feel like mine is but I guess my perception might just be skewed after driving a BMW i3 for awhile which has great regen.

Surely the part where this happens involves a CRC or similar check?

3. perform integrity checking of the resultant image (obviously failure at an of the steps results in restart from 1)

It would be completely irresponsible for Tesla to design the car such that software is downloaded over the internet and then directly flashed to the components without checking to make sure no corruption or data loss occurred. My car always downloads new software pretty quickly then sits on 100% for like 10 minutes. I can only imagine that that is the point in the process where the download's integrity is being confirmed.

This is just nonsense.
I highly doubt WIFI firmware is being updated very often.

we don't know what 'often' means, but I assure you, wifi firmware fixes from ublox (etc) come every so often and its a reality.

(ob disc: I used to do this in a previous job; worked on car gateway stuff and dealt with wifi, lte, gps issues on a daily basis).

trust me, failure in the middle of an install SHOULD abort the install. dependancy hell is hell for a reason ;)

Reactions: MP3Mike
My battery never seems to warm up even on a 40 degree day and after driving on the freeway for 20 miles so I rarely get full regen unless I precondition the car first. When your regen is limited, do you feel like it is variable or inconsistent in the braking force and rate of braking force increase? I feel like mine is but I guess my perception might just be skewed after driving a BMW i3 for awhile which has great regen.
It feels consistent that it's rolling more like an ICE vehicle when I left of the pedal and I use the brake more but it starts coming on more and more as it warms up. To your point I've driven for close to an hour before I lost all the regen limited dots in high 30's / low 40's.

• Informative
My phone contact list has # and @ in several contacts and my phone is an Android based one. Some times I can toggle back and forth with no issues but not usually more than like 3 toggles. More often though, it crashes on the first time. So far, this is what I know: Android and Apple phones have had the crashing but not everyone has it. I have not seen a report of an Android phone without # or @ in the contact list causing the crashes. Yours is the first Apple phone with "special characters" in the contact list and since it isn't crashing, I guess we can rule that out. The only other thing that I can think of left is that it is caused by an android phone with special characters in the contact list. Once someone reports that that works okay also, then I can't think of any other obvious cause.
Just did some testing. I created a new contact (First Name: Tesla #, Last Name: Testing @) and I made sure I was not connected to the car while sitting in my living room. Went out and went through some other menu items first then contacts and scrolled through and found that my contacts that have emoji's actually display in the car contacts. Found the Tesla Test name and it displayed the # and @ characters as well. Scrolled all the way up and changed the sort multiple times and nothing. Closed the contacts went through some driving menu items and went back to contacts and changed the sort right away and no restart / crash.

• Helpful
Just did some testing. I created a new contact (First Name: Tesla #, Last Name: Testing @) and I made sure I was not connected to the car while sitting in my living room. Went out and went through some other menu items first then contacts and scrolled through and found that my contacts that have emoji's actually display in the car contacts. Found the Tesla Test name and it displayed the # and @ characters as well. Scrolled all the way up and changed the sort multiple times and nothing. Closed the contacts went through some driving menu items and went back to contacts and changed the sort right away and no restart / crash.

Thanks for doing that! So we can rule that out then. Do you have Android or Apple?

Edit: I'm blind. Saw you have an Apple phone up above. Now we just need someone with an Android phone to do the exact thing and confirm that it doesn't cause the crashing. Only thing pointing to special characters not being the cause is the few people saying they don't have any non-alphabetical characters in their contact list and they still have the resets. So maybe back to a number of contacts thing? But then again, ~50 contacts isn't really that many so that doesn't make sense. I give up. Haha.

Last edited:
just went with a friend to pickup his new performance s and it had the .7 software on it however it was also busy downloading a new and very large map update. anyone else get a map update recently or with .7 ? he incidentally has the new hw3 and the visualizations fsd demo. maybe this uses a new map?

Last edited:
  • Informative