Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep hearing how people trade in their 2017-2019 and the 2020 is “much quieter.” I’d love to see some empirical evidence of this. Unless you’re comparing the cars one after another... sounds like confirmation bias to me. I simply don’t see how it’s possible to make these cars noticeably quieter without fundamentally huge changes to the structure.

I’m going to continue to be skeptical until I see some dB readings.

I keep hearing how people trade in their 2017-2019 and the 2020 is “much quieter.” I’d love to see some empirical evidence of this. Unless you’re comparing the cars one after another... sounds like confirmation bias to me. I simply don’t see how it’s possible to make these cars noticeably quieter without fundamentally huge changes to the structure.

I’m going to continue to be skeptical until I see some dB readings.

it'd be pretty simple to just add some dynamat type material and/or improve the door seals- 0 structure changes required.

There's several threads on people doing this to earlier builds with quieter results

it'd be pretty simple to just add some dynamat type material and/or improve the door seals- 0 structure changes required.

There's several threads on people doing this to earlier builds with quieter results

Dynamat is really heavy. Be interesting to see if any such material is used. Door seals I don’t see making a noticeable difference based on the aftermarket seals making close to zero difference.

Just be nice if someone showed us...something upgraded.

Reactions: CitiesSprinter
Dynamat is really heavy. Be interesting to see if any such material is used. Door seals I don’t see making a noticeable difference based on the aftermarket seals making close to zero difference.

Dynamat ain't that heavy... actual name-brand dynamat extreme is 0.45 lbs per sq foot... cheaper (but still effective) alternatives like fatmat are only 0.26 lbs per sq foot....so you'd be adding maybe 15-20 lbs? (there's videos where folks used actual dynamat on the front doors and cited 7.5-8 lbs of added weight... so you'd be at 15-16 lbs for all 4... and something like fatmat is almost half that weight so 20 lbs including some trunk/floor areas wouldn't be unreasonable.)

On a ~4000 lb car you're not gonna notice 20 lbs.

Especially when they've otherwise taken weight OUT of the newer cars (lack of frunk mat, removing homelink and the 14-50 adapter, removing dead pedal, etc...)

Dynamat ain't that heavy... actual name-brand dynamat extreme is 0.45 lbs per sq foot... cheaper (but still effective) alternatives like fatmat are only 0.26 lbs per sq foot....so you'd be adding maybe 15-20 lbs? (there's videos where folks used actual dynamat on the front doors and cited 7.5-8 lbs of added weight... so you'd be at 15-16 lbs for all 4... and something like fatmat is almost half that weight so 20 lbs including some trunk/floor areas wouldn't be unreasonable.)

On a ~4000 lb car you're not gonna notice 20 lbs.

Especially when they've otherwise taken weight OUT of the newer cars (lack of frunk mat, removing homelink and the 14-50 adapter, removing dead pedal, etc...)

I’m sorry, but 20lbs of weight is significant to car manufacturers. Whether you or I notice is not really the point. I don’t believe for a second that Tesla increased the weight by anything near that to solve noise complaints, but of course - this is just speculation.

Bottom line is I’d like to see some objective data,

I’m sorry, but 20lbs of weight is significant to car manufacturers. Whether you or I notice is not really the point. I don’t believe for a second that Tesla increased the weight by anything near that to solve noise complaints, but of course - this is just speculation.

Bottom line is I’d like to see some objective data,

I mean, believe what you like, but as I mention they've likewise removed weight from the car in numerous spots so I could see the difference being quite small or nothing at all on net.

Further they'd have a much easier time targeting just the worst areas most in need of sound deadening since they can choose to add it as the car is being put together- so they could probably get away with 10 lbs of stuff doing a better job than someone adding 20 aftermarket could depending where the worst spots are.

I suppose you'd need to find a 2020 owner and a 2018 owner both willing to tear the entire inferior (at least) apart to really tell though.