Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this helps, according to Tesla Info (and they identified things like the heat pump, heated steering wheel and pedestrian warning sound in inventory before the cars acually arrived), the manufacturing codes for the 3 different batteries are these,

BT37 - 75kwh panasonc
BT38 - 75kwh LG
BT42 - 82kwh panasonc (irrespective of whether fitted to the LR or P)

When you search inventory, globally, the M3P went from BT37 to BT42 with the 2021 model year change
The LR had some 2021 model year US production using the BT38 but now only China made LR have the BT38 (ie UK)
The LR in Fremont production uses the BT42 battery

Its entirely possible that two 2021 model year LR cars built in Fremont have different battery codes and different batteries based on when exactly they were built, and comparing more recent LR cars built in China and Fremont will definitely differ.
Where do you get that token to generate the code? Your link says look at the bottom but I don't see it. (User error undoubtedly...)

Where do you get that token to generate the code? Your link says look at the bottom but I don't see it. (User error undoubtedly...)
I don't use a token, you can either enter an option code string (which is saved in the URL) or provide your car token. I posted a link with the 3 different battery codes as an option string which are decoded at the bottom of the page.

Reading through this thread there still seems to be confusion about what batteries will be in what car. So for a person in Canada/USA receiving their Model 3 Long Range car in June... what battery will it have? I assume these cars will be from Freemont factory. And if it does come with the 82kwh Panasonic pack will it be locked? And if so, can it ever be unlocked?

I have no doubt that this is a 82kWh pack confirmed by E3LD in the COC.

It actually makes sense, that the cars now show 567km of range to be honest.

When the E3LD 2021 Performance 82kWh was released in 2020 we still saw the 499km limit of the 2019/2020 Performance in the car. With SW 2021.4.3 this range was corrected upwards to 508km as expected by us here in the thread.

Now we see the same game again with the E3LD 2021 Long Range 82kWh. It shows the "old" range that is still advertised and sold by Tesla US. So as long as we dont see the EPA results and an update of the increased range on the Tesla website, we wont see the update that increases the rated range.

I am very certain behind the 567km is an unlocked 82kWh pack and only the indicated rated range will be adjusted in the future.

So the million dollar question... for people buying these long range models with the 82kWh batteries, will they have an option down the road to upgrade their range? (going from locked to unlocked). Seems a waste to have the battery ability for more range yet be handcuffed from doing so.

So the million dollar question... for people buying these long range models with the 82kWh batteries, will they have an option down the road to upgrade their range? (going from locked to unlocked). Seems a waste to have the battery ability for more range yet be handcuffed from doing so.
The million 💰 legal answer probably is...it depends...on the advertised range at the time of purchase.
If you buy a US car right now, then Tesla is free to use a 79kWh at full capacity or a locked 82kWh.
Since in the US market there are no options on the long range battery packs I don't see a point in a software lock.

If I understand the process correctly each US quarter starts with the production for overseas. Once those cars are all loaded on the ships after around six weeks, then the process switches to domestic clients.

Since we saw the new 82kWh pack for European clients since 1st of April, then I would assume that the domestic production with these battery's starts in about a week. Maybe the Tesla website will be updated by then too.

Edit: there is probably one production line doing domestic cars all the time, but maybe that one is still using the old packs. We don't know.

Also another Long Range was delivered today in Germany. Same numbers E3LD showing 567km @ 100%

Last edited:

I wouldn't count on having extra capacity until the EPA numbers come out showing that. As outlined earlier, there are CARB results indicating two versions of the LR vehicle, with 6% difference in range, and likely capacity as well. Eventually those will translate to an EPA range of about 370 rated miles. But we don't know when that will happen. And we don't know whether it will be implemented as a difference in trim (a "range package" long-range version).

We don't know how many lines run with the 2170L cells, and whether there are still lines being run with the older cells. As long as they don't have everything switched over to 2170L, they'll need to build cars with 2170, and those cars will need to be sold with lower capacity.

It didn't make sense for Tesla to equip AWD vehicles with 980 motors for 6-9 months, either, but they did, until they had sufficient 990 (which uses fewer parts!) capacity. They never unlocked AWD vehicles with 980 motors to Performance levels, and they likely never will (you can do it after-market though I guess).

So, don't count on having extra capacity unlocked - and certainly not for free. It's possible that they won't even offer a paid upgrade, because unlike the acceleration boost option (which works on the 990 motors), they can't unlock capacity for all vehicles of a given vintage, if they do not all have the same capacity. Not sure. Again, what actually happens depends on what they are doing and why.

There are benefits to locked capacity batteries - they probably lose capacity slightly more slowly due to never being charged to 100%. To me it seems like the initial 2170 cells have not performed all that great on average, as far as capacity loss goes (as compared to other Teslas - they do fine relative to other EVs), and perhaps the 2170L cells will generally be used at lower capacity to enhance longevity - in addition to any other tweaks they may have made. May make no difference - hard to know. It's also a better driving experience to have a little bit of top buffer, with a little less loss of regen capability at high SOC, if you don't ever get to true 100%. So there's advantages to Tesla and to you to having a larger capacity pack (note that a buffer against capacity loss is not a benefit - unless Tesla changes how they treat capacity loss - which they could, if they want to change their warranty available capacity loss limits at some point).

But we'll see. We're all guessing here, and it depends on which vehicles Tesla is building, what their line capacities are, where those vehicles are being sent, etc.

There does seem to be substantial evidence that LR vehicles with the larger capacity exist - that's what was tested in the CARB document. But in the US, they may just be planning for the future (could even be 2022 - or it could be a mid-year 2021 demand-driving announcement of an extended range LR).

Short story: we're all guessing, and if you want something specific, wait for it to be explicitly documented with the EPA. That's the only sure thing. Right now there are 18 documents in the 2021 Tesla search at iaspub (Basic Search | Document Index System | US EPA) - when that increases, expect some news (will usually be concurrent with updates at fueleconomy.gov). Personally, if I were in the market for a 2021 Model 3 right now (in the US), I would definitely be holding off (unless I were getting the Performance, which I would just buy, since it has the large pack already - unless I also wanted to wait for some sort of resumption of EV tax credits).

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like nobody knows for sure. I feel like every year they will keep going up in range. First the long range was 499KM then 520KM. Then for 2021 it surged to 567KM, next year will be 600KM, then it'll be 630-640KM. In five years it'll be 700KM+ . You will never win! If you just wait and wait for the next greatest model you will let life pass you by. I have mine ordered, I need a new car right now and I don't want to cancel it and wait around until the fall. By that point the car will arrive in December in a snowstorm and I don't want that.

I figure I will keep this one for 3-4 years then trade it in for a 2024/2025 model which Im sure by that point the long range models will all be 700KM+ .

Last edited:
Short story: we're all guessing, and if you want something specific, wait for it to be explicitly documented with the EPA. That's the only sure thing. Right now there are 18 documents in the 2021 Tesla search at iaspub (Basic Search | Document Index System | US EPA) - when that increases, expect some news (will usually be concurrent with updates at fueleconomy.gov). Personally, if I were in the market for a 2021 Model 3 right now (in the US), I would definitely be holding off (unless I were getting the Performance, which I would just buy, since it has the large pack already - unless I also wanted to wait for some sort of resumption of EV tax credits).

The more I think about it, the more I think the EPA rating will not change for 2021. Tesla is already facing incredible demand and is sold out for all of Q2 and likely will sell out through Q3 soon. They have already raised the price of the car a few thousand dollars and people keep buying. They don't need to work hard to increase demand, and it seems like they don't have much motivation to increase the EPA rating for the 2021 model. So I think that if you want to buy a 2021, the best case is to get the 82kwh battery and hope they unlock the extra capacity via software update. Otherwise maybe it is best to wait for the 2022 model.

If memory serves, Tesla has increased the range of the Model 3 via software updates in the past. The SR+ (allegedly) went from 240 to 250, and the LR went from 310 to 322. They also pride themselves on selling a car that improves over time, so I would not be surprised if Tesla says that they will unlock the full battery for some 2021 owners even at no cost. If you bought a car with the 79kwh battery, tough luck ... it's always something with Tesla. The cars improve very quickly and I like that they don't wait for model years to make improvements like other manufacturers, though it does make it more difficult for us!

Like you said though, it's all pure speculation now.

Reactions: travis3000
memory serves, Tesla has increased the range of the Model 3 via software updates in the past. The SR+ (allegedly) went from 240 to 250, and the LR went from 310 to 322.
This was done by lowering the consumption constant. This was not an "unlocked range" from more kWh capacity, but rather a math calculation to mimick more range for people who didn't pay attention in math school.
So far there is not a case of unlocked capacity, besides the S60, since these Model 3 batteries have a finite capacity that is maxed out already (or at least most except the SR standard without + or the EU locked 2021 Panasonic, which will remain locked due to the LG battery and WLTP)
The only way you can increase your range on a fixed battery capacity is with your right foot.

The SR+ (allegedly) went from 240 to 250, and the LR went from 310 to 322.
Both of these were model year changes and involved the same battery capacity with different constants. They were software updates that improved efficiency and thus the EPA result and the resulting constant.
So far there is not a case of unlocked capacity,
There is actually the 310 to 325 LR RWD increase which did increase capacity, while keeping the constant the same (based on what owners said). Also the EPA docs show an increase in capacity, so it was an actual unlock.

Only Model 3 example I know of so far.

We’ll see, for 2021...

The million 💰 legal answer probably is...it depends...on the advertised range at the time of purchase.
If you buy a US car right now, then Tesla is free to use a 79kWh at full capacity or a locked 82kWh.
Since in the US market there are no options on the long range battery packs I don't see a point in a software lock.

If I understand the process correctly each US quarter starts with the production for overseas. Once those cars are all loaded on the ships after around six weeks, then the process switches to domestic clients.

Since we saw the new 82kWh pack for European clients since 1st of April, then I would assume that the domestic production with these battery's starts in about a week. Maybe the Tesla website will be updated by then too.

Edit: there is probably one production line doing domestic cars all the time, but maybe that one is still using the old packs. We don't know.

Also another Long Range was delivered today in Germany. Same numbers E3LD showing 567km @ 100%
check this post with pictures of the first charge.

the owner has pickup the car one day ago and it´s a long range with E3LD and wood trims on doors. The photos he posted for the firs charge shows a theorical 567 km at 100%. I am waiting for mine manufacture time was 17/04 and the advised range on tesla webpage was 614km.

UK cars with the BT38/75kwh battery get 360 miles WLTP
EU cars with the BT42/82kwh battery get 614km WLTP or 381 miles

Battery is 9% bigger for 6% range. If the maths is right, there's not a lot more to give and assumes the battery capacities are correct.

I just got word from my SA and told me that my Tesla M3 LR with VIN 961xxx (made in US) will have the old 75kw battery pack.

He seemed very hesitant when he said it, is it realistic I got the old pack even with the high VIN?
961xxx were built around Feb which is why, you can check the rough date here

I'd refuse the car,.

EU cars with the BT42/82kwh battery get 614km WLTP or 381 miles
In the COC it says 640km of electrical range. Worth taking that into account, when doing the comparison calculation.
is it realistic I got the old pack even with the high VIN?
No it is very unlikely, but we have seen VIN 952/953 built on the 16th of April 2021 with E5D LG packs. So there is a chance they still put then im every now and then.
961xxx were built around Feb
VIN 961 has a built date around 26th of April 2021.

Have your SA pull the COC or tell you if the Version is E5D or E3LD. If it is E5D then I, personally, would not accept the car and ask for a new VIN.

@eivissa they confirmed that the build date is 27th of April and wrote to me that "my car has the latest technology that I'm looking/asking for". However they don't seem to want to take the risk and write via email that my car has the new battery, possibly to not get in trouble if it doesn't.

Also they say that they don't have the CoC until the delivery day, which sounds quite strange.

What should I do?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Customers in Germany get the COC in paper up to four weeks in advance. Ask them specifically if they find E5D or E3LD in their system.

You can also pull a token via these instructions and via the token pull your option codes. If this list contains BT42 you are very likely to get the larger 82kWh pack.

Well, then you can only stick to keep asking this question to your SA or in the Tesla chat. Maybe eventually one employee is willing to send you the COC as we've seen in the UK and Spain.

Meanwhile also have a look into this list once in a while:

So far not a single VIN 961 listed, which is interesting. Maybe that VIN range is not destined to the German (DACH) market.