Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting large amounts of vampire drain after a fairly long drive. Is this normal?

I have a 2019 Model 3 SR+ (240 mi rated range, now 220 mi rated according to stats). Thursday at 11pm, I parked my car in a garage, where the ambient temperature is around 65F. The battery reading was 69%. Saturday 4:30pm, I go out and my battery reading is at 60%. So in about a day and a half, I’ve lost 9% or 19 miles to vampire drain. This seems excessive to me. Between those two times, I didn’t have any apps open, sentry mode is off, and cabin overheat protection is off. What can I do about this insane amount of drain?
Dont use sentry then.

300w x 24h is is 7200wh per day.

Then I’d like to know what’s making the car not sleeping and causing the excessive vampire drain. That was the original question.
Is centry mode completely off or is it only disabled “at home”?
I have seen the centry mode screen a few times home in the garage despite being deactivated at home) but on for other places.
I think you could use for example teslafi and use the two free week demo, to see if the car sleeps, and when and also get good info of the phantom drain.
Teslafi says my M3P had a phantom drain of 0.3km/hour the last day. That would be roughly 1.5% per day.

Is centry mode completely off or is it only disabled “at home”?
I have seen the centry mode screen a few times home in the garage despite being deactivated at home) but on for other places.
I think you could use for example teslafi and use the two free week demo, to see if the car sleeps, and when and also get good info of the phantom drain.
Teslafi says my M3P had a phantom drain of 0.3km/hour the last day. That would be roughly 1.5% per day.

Completely off.

, I didn’t have any apps open, sentry mode is off, and cabin overheat protection is off. What can I do about this insane amount of drain?
Wrong thread for this, but: Change your Tesla password, then do not log into any apps other than the Tesla app, and make sure that Summon Standby Mode is disabled.

It is possible to see large changes after parking after a drive. I would ignore what happens in the first 12 hours and look at rates subsequent to that to assess the loss rate.

In any case you should hear your contactors closing when you get to the car. If you don’t that is probably the issue - not sleeping.

Is there a way to know the type/brand of batteries in the car?
Theres several ways of that.

Tesla is using different codes for different batteries in Europe( EU).
The official certification dokuments have these codes explained.
”3” or mire recently ”3C” is the old Panasonic 2270. Marked ”77.8kWh” in the software in the car.

”3L” is the new Panasonic 2170L. 82.1kWh” in the software in the car.

”5” or more recently ”5C” is the LG currently used in EU in Model 3 LR and Y LR, i think. 74.5kWh” in the software in the car.

”5L” is the upcoming bigger LG pack, not seen yet in cars I think. Probably around 80.4-82kWh marked size.

My friends car has the code ”E3LD”, which shows it has the new panasonic 82.1kWh/2170L cell.
In Germany I know the authorities have written down the battery capacity in kWh but that number was wrong at least as often as it was right, at least one year ago. Problably wild guesses as Tesla dont specify the battery si
For the swedish authorities this number has been correct without any known misstakes.

It is possible to check the battery marked size in the car with a ODB-reader and proper software( scan my tesla for example).

I have the code E3LD in the papers and I have 82.1kWh marked battery size checked with scan my tesla.

Also, the EPA Range or WLTP gives hints in some cases, but not all cases. The smaller panasonic and the smaller LG have the same WLTP-rating, as Tesla has locked a part of the capacity in the Panasonic to make the range similar.

Theres also a possibility to look at the battery pack label, from this I have the 2170L/82.1kwh pack. Theres info in a thread about this somewhere here on TMC.

Check this post from eivissa:
MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

Last edited:
I’m not 100% sure but think there is two versions in us now, one with the panasonic battery and one with the CATL LFP battery.
I think the EPA range differ 10miles.

218 vs 208 miles if my memory doesnt fail.
Conversion error, haha. 253mi/262mi LFP, and 263mi Panasonic. As far as I can tell.

The 253 is a temporary placeholder and both 253 and 262 miles (both the same battery: difference is software constant value driven) have about 55kWh of capacity (one report is 55.2kWh from SMT). Degradation threshold appears to be 54.7kWh.

Heavier vehicle and perhaps less efficient.

Compare to about 53.5kWh for the Panasonic. Degradation threshold is about 53.5kWh AFAIK.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life