Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another drop in NFP on my M3P AFTER an Update (2021.32.21)
Dropped from 78,7 to 78,1
Before the Update: 78,7 then after the first connection of SMT after the 2021.32.21 update and it was 78,1.
It's not the first time... In the beginning of august I had the same beahvoir : from ∼79,6 to ∼78,5 kWh just after the update.
SMT btw says 494 Full range at 100%
Buffer is 3,5kWh

I think its clear that Tesla is going for the most environmental solution. To use locally produced batterys when possible.

The M3P so far gets the new Panna 2170L even if built in China. Most probably because the othet do not meet the specs for the Performance.

Reactions: TomaGo
Yes - I calculated the (avg wh/mi x proj mi range)/% battery charge -74kw - but I was told, assured I’d get the 82kw. I ordered a M3LR 21 w/82kw battery & now Im told its only 74kw -I was given a 2020 battery, thats not what I ordered.
Who told you'd get a 82 kWh pack (note it's kWh not kW)? Tesla hasn't mentioned actual pack capacity since the earlier Model S/X days and even now those models don't refer to kWh pack capacity any longer when they market or sell the car to you. Any guessing/tracking of pack capacity is done by the community.

So, they say they are not allowed to share this information, while they obviously shared exactly that information? ;)

That is correct. Easily identified by the first three VIN letters "LRW"

No, the Performance is not certified for that pack. You will get the E3LD Panasonic 82kWh.

You havent seen any, because this new LG pack is still pretty unknown. We know it suppesedly has NMC(A) chemistry, 5,0Ah per cell, LG M50 cells and at least 80kWh. No charging curve, which would be very interesting.

Who told you'd get a 82 kWh pack (note it's kWh not kW)? Tesla hasn't mentioned actual pack capacity since the earlier Model S/X days and even now those models don't refer to kWh pack capacity any longer when they market or sell the car to you. Any guessing/tracking of pack capacity is done by the community.
That was the almost the only question I had during the ordering process I wanted to make sure I had the 2021 M3 LR model which has the 82kwh battery the 2020 has the 75kwh battery. The SA assured I had the 82kw battery, now a service person said it was a 74kWh. They said battery size doesn’t matter, yet he’s rambling on how he has a 82kwh battery in his Y. Is there anyway I can see it written anywhere ? Another service person said Tesla can’t tell customers what battery they have - they would prob tell me if I had a 82kwh battery. I can’t believe they can’t disclose the battery size. Musk is always talking about battery improvements, increased power/ capacity. So for the Tesla support to tell customers battery size doesn’t matter is crazy. I will prob take it to a Tesla expert, if I do only have a 74KW h battery, that will be an issue

That was the almost the only question I had during the ordering process I wanted to make sure I had the 2021 M3 LR model which has the 82kwh battery the 2020 has the 75kwh battery. The SA assured I had the 82kw battery, now a service person said it was a 74kWh. They said battery size doesn’t matter, yet he’s rambling on how he has a 82kwh battery in his Y. Is there anyway I can see it written anywhere ? Another service person said Tesla can’t tell customers what battery they have - they would prob tell me if I had a 82kwh battery. I can’t believe they can’t disclose the battery size. Musk is always talking about battery improvements, increased power/ capacity. So for the Tesla support to tell customers battery size doesn’t matter is crazy. I will prob take it to a Tesla expert, if I do only have a 74KW h battery, that will be an issue
To my knowledge the production of the old Panasonic 3C (77,8kWh) packs has stopped completely and all Model 3/Y are getting Panasonic 3L (82,1kWh) packs.

Probably since around April / May 2021 but at latest from October 2021, since we expect the announcement of a Model 3 and Y range increase with the 2022 model year in the coming days. This range increase comes from retesting the vehicles with the larger 82kWh packs.

It's handwringing like you are doing why Tesla refuse to disclose battery size (and it seems whatever personnel spoke to you made this clear). The rated range is what they want you to focus on. There are SAs and service people that will look at things behind the scenes because they are enthusiasts also, but it's clear corporate policy is that pack capacity is something that Tesla doesn't promise (the only official acknowledgements come when it's part of government paperwork, like in Europe, but there are no promises made there either, you only see that paperwork after you get the car).

As others mentioned what is the rated range on your car (and on your sticker), what were you promised when you first ordered, and did it change when you were allocated a VIN? If Tesla makes changes that drop rated range, they will ask you for approval to go ahead with the given VIN, this is what happened to the LFP cars.

EPA range for 2021 should be 353, for 2020 is 322:
Compare Side-by-Side

Last edited:
Reactions: ran349
A few weeks ago, I bought my first Tesla — a Model 3 Standard Range Plus with LFP battery.

I know there is a ton of info about the other battery, but are there currently any recommendations on maintenance for an LFP battery? Specifically, how often to charge, whether to charge to 100%, not letting it get below a certain percentage, whether Supercharging usage degrades the battery, etc.

I'm asking because even though I just bought the car, I'm only getting about a 211 mile range (down from the 253 EPA range I was expecting) and I wanted to maximize the battery.
I received an M3SR+ on Sept 06th. I have driven 764 miles with average of 5.3 miles/kWh. I dont know the battery capacity, if it is 50-53 KWh (rumor :)), I should get 265 to 280. My commute is about 25 miles round trip with average speed of 40-45 MPH.

Another drop in NFP on my M3P AFTER an Update (2021.32.21)
Dropped from 78,7 to 78,1
Before the Update: 78,7 then after the first connection of SMT after the 2021.32.21 update and it was 78,1.
It's not the first time... In the beginning of august I had the same beahvoir : from ∼79,6 to ∼78,5 kWh just after the update.
SMT btw says 494 Full range at 100%
Buffer is 3,5kWh
I quote myself.
TodayI had another 1 kWh FULL drop in NFP
This morning is 77,0 kWh. 😭
SO in 3 days i lost 1,7 kWh. Sincerely Im a bit worried and disappointed .
It seems just the opposite of @AAKEE .... day by day is more cold but my battery goes down .

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I'm in the same boat. My pack degraded down to 76.5KWh within 3 months & 10.000 Km). Now it seems stable hovering around 76.5Kwh for the past month, currently at 13000 Km.
Do you have a Lorg Range with my same battery?
Mine is a M3P with 2170L (82.1 kWh).

The only correlation I saw on the big STEPS DOWN on NFP is:
1) just after an update (but not always)
2) the fact that I let it discharge (and let it sleep) under 10% -15% when usually my car sleeps between 35% to 60%.
about 2) it's like if the BMS/battery is telling me: "I was probably OVERextimating my capacity, BUT now that you let me see the bottom side better , I have to tell you that the actual capacity needs to be extimated lower than i was expecting....so i'm sorry to tell you that it's not 78 but 77.."

I saw a lower value during the hot summer days. The NFP fell a few days after it got hotter with the same charging schedule. (From 81.5-ish to 80.3-80.4). Then it fell slightly more during a 3400km holiday trip with only SuC, to 79.7-ish.
At home when it got colder the NFP raised to 80.3-80.4 quite fast, and after about a week it started to climb to 81.0.

Last week I had three days with longer drives so charged to 99% one day, 70 another and a deeper discharge one day, that put my NFP down to about 80.0. The value is not as solid as before so it changes more than before.
I would guess the wider span of charges maybe gives the BMS a different input( better?) than with my regular charging schedule.
My charging scedule is not set to ”show off” a higher NFP, its set to minimize calendar aging(and of course cyclic aging also).

Nevertheless my charging schedule probably set the BMS of a bit, maybe causing it to look like I have less degradation than I actually have.
My “true” NFP probably is somewhere between 80 and 81kWh at the moment.