Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your installer is correct. All this boils down to a simple conclusion - keep your wheel width really close to your section width. If you want more performance, make them the same or even slightly larger on the wheel width. If you want cheaper wheels, less weight, less vulnerability to curb rash, you can make the wheel somewhat narrower than the section width.

As for speaking to looks, this is clearly an area where beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally love the look of wheels and tires where the the wheel width nails the section width on the nose - and the wider wheel makes the tire look wider, which I also like.
I think one thing that can confuse many people is Wheel
width is the measurement (inside the lip)..... measurement from outside lip to outside lip is about an inch more

Reactions: dfwatt
I guess it's right to add mine too on this thread.

Turbine 20" Dark Anthracite

The photo is before the installation of the lowering spring set that has dropped 1.5"

Attachments

• IMG_4916.JPG
    IMG_4916.JPG
    620.8 KB · Views: 618
Taken from teslaownersonline forum:

Aftermarket Tesla Model 3 Wheels and Tires - Tesla Owners Online

*********** PSA ************

The refreshed/updated 2021 Model 3 has the same new Bluetooth TPMS system as Model Y.
As those with Model Y's already know, these new sensors are 100% exclusive to Tesla, they are locked up solid with every type of patent imaginable, so don't expect any aftermarket solutions anytime soon.
When getting a second set of wheels for a 2021 you need to make sure you're getting these as part of the package.

1605298416620-png.36081

Aside from the small number of manufacturers on here that make rims specifically for Tesla cars, I cant imagine other wheel companies going out of their way to add TPMS sensors. Its possible to just reuse the ones we have right?

Wheel companies don't make the TPMS sensors. It's usually an OEM or third party who makes the sensors. I'm sure they will get around to the bluetooth sensors eventually. For now, you can reuse your old sensors or pay a premium to get a set from Tesla.

Im aware of that. Im responding to your comment.

When getting a second set of wheels for a 2021 you need to make sure you're getting these as part of the package.

I doubt any company will be including or throwing in TPMS. Its gonna be up to the individual to take care of that. Personally, if Im unable to eruse the old ones, I would go without. I dont find TPMS all that useful.