Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you allowed to use copper in the pads in the EU? Our Pagid Pads work really well and we use them in our Spanish Model 3, but we have not been through the ITV yet and I'm not sure if they would complain about the yellow pads.

They work well from cold :)

Here's a picture of the car from Castelloli, near Barcelona
Hi I’m settling with track only so no itv necesary I’ll look into your pads

On a Long range Is there a way to get a firmer pedal with stock MC and calipers? I have motul fliud, no air in the system, better front pads, and MPP MC Brace .
The SS lines are so short, unless warn I cant see that helping much.

I see how the rear piston retracts, is that where I'm getting all the travel? Sometimes I have a very firm pedal im guessing, when the rear hasn’t retracted.

Any Thoughts>

Last edited:
What is the short list for 19x10+35 wheels for someone just starting out?
There's not a whole lot of 10" wheels. There's a pretty good selection in 9.5" and 10.5", however.

Summit point pausing ev use.. interesting read:

Same with VIR - very disappointing.

There's not a whole lot of 10" wheels. There's a pretty good selection in 9.5" and 10.5", however.

Same with VIR - very disappointing.
Interesting. I see two scenarios:

1) It really is just a pause, perhaps required/requested by their insurance, to get procedures in place and train local first responders to deal with EV battery crash scenarios.
2) ICE morons don’t want to be embarrassed by superior EVs.

I note that both tracks are in very rural, very EV unfriendly, areas.

Although Summit Point had/has multiple Tesla chargers. I’ve been to and on the track although not in an EV and not needed to charge when driving an EV there. Summit Point Motorsports Park | Tesla

Last edited:
Interesting. I see two scenarios:

1) It really is just a pause, perhaps required/requested by their insurance, to get procedures in place and train local first responders to deal with EV battery crash scenarios.
2) ICE morons don’t want to be embarrassed by superior EVs.

I note that both tracks are in very rural, very EV unfriendly, areas.

Although Summit Point had/has multiple Tesla chargers. I’ve been to and on the track although not in an EV and not needed to charge when driving an EV there. Summit Point Motorsports Park | Tesla

Agree with you. I hope and assume everyone is well intended and it is #1. In which case, great, let's get the safety side sorted out and other tracks can adopt the best practices.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Putnam park also has stopped allowing EV's and knowing the owner and his beliefs I wouldn't be surprised if this is a political statement more than one of safety.
Incredibly sad if true. I find our Model 3 performance cars with MPP suspensions to be the most responsive car I've ever driven. That includes a decent time behind the wheel with multiple Porsches, Ferraris, Corvettes Etc.

EV drivers should organize and exert some political pressure. I bet a lot of these race tracks get public money. So, the way to force them would be via local politicians attaching stuff to legislation approving those funds, requiring non-discrimination against EVs.
This sounds like a way to get nothing but more bans in place. Racetracks are dying, trying to fight their owners will do nothing good.

Lots of us can’t drive our open wheel or high decibel vehicles / toys at HPDE events, should we get our pressure going?

Be adults, live with the decisions made by ownership or vote with your dollar and go elsewhere.

Some of us travel 8hrs+ to track events and burn petrol. *gasp* the whole time *gasp* 😂

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: dfwatt and dsgerbc
What is the short list for 19x10+35 wheels for someone just starting out?
Here is what I have found in the lower price tier in case it helps others:
  1. Stance: ~$1800 a set, weigh ~23 lbs each, custom offset and bore available
  2. Dinan HB003: ~$1600, ~25lbs, +39, 64.1mm, load rating1980 lbs
  3. Mustang wheels as long as the load rating is high enough such as SVE R350: ~$1200, ~25lbs, +35, 70.66mm (so hub rings)
  4. Forgestar: ~$1600, ~31lbs, +42 (so spacers), 72.56 (so hub rings)

Once you are willing to pay $3k+ there are more choices but if I am going to beat them up on a track that is hard to stomach...

Reactions: Lindenwood
Here is what I have found in the lower price tier in case it helps others:
  1. Stance: ~$1800 a set, weigh ~23 lbs each, custom offset and bore available
  2. Dinan HB003: ~$1600, ~25lbs, +39, 64.1mm, load rating1980 lbs
  3. Mustang wheels as long as the load rating is high enough such as SVE R350: ~$1200, ~25lbs, +35, 70.66mm (so hub rings)
  4. Forgestar: ~$1600, ~31lbs, +42 (so spacers), 72.56 (so hub rings)

Once you are willing to pay $3k+ there are more choices but if I am going to beat them up on a track that is hard to stomach...
You can also custom-order them made from the finest forged Chinesium for like ~1400-1500 shipped in about a month or two.

Reactions: GAGT
I’m about to install a MPP rear drive unit cooler and am curious what oil everyone is running in the drive units? I’ll prob do filters and a drain and fill on both while I’m in there. Just curious if there’s something proven and better than factory oil to run?

Also let’s hear what everyone did for switching? I’m flip flopping between a thermostat switch or a switch hidden in the center console.

I’m about to install a MPP rear drive unit cooler and am curious what oil everyone is running in the drive units? I’ll prob do filters and a drain and fill on both while I’m in there. Just curious if there’s something proven and better than factory oil to run?

Also let’s hear what everyone did for switching? I’m flip flopping between a thermostat switch or a switch hidden in the center console.
I haven't needed the cooler yet but have thought about how I'd implement it. The top of my list was a thermostat with a three-way switch to allow me to force the fan off, allow thermostat activation, or force the fan on. I figured that'd give me access to all options and avoid me redoing a bunch of work if I changed my mind.

Make sure it isn't a switch for a radiator fan or it isn't going to switch on since your drive unit will not be reaching ICE temps!

Reactions: Theraven
This sounds like a way to get nothing but more bans in place. Racetracks are dying, trying to fight their owners will do nothing good.

Lots of us can’t drive our open wheel or high decibel vehicles / toys at HPDE events, should we get our pressure going?

Be adults, live with the decisions made by ownership or vote with your dollar and go elsewhere.

Some of us travel 8hrs+ to track events and burn petrol. *gasp* the whole time *gasp* 😂
This post seems to have a whole lot of trouble in terms of you seeing the forest for the trees. Race track owners need to transition from Ice to EV technology just as Transportation everywhere is making that transition. To drive out the only new emerging source of Revenue and the only thing that's going to keep them from closing is bad business. In the end it may not be enough to stop them from closing in areas where real estate is really valuable because no feasible or affordable driver support is going to keep a many acre site worth $200+ million open in the current economic climate where there is a lot of development money in urban areas. The other point you seem to be missing is simply that it's discriminatory. There's no rational or legitimate basis for Banning EVs on racetracks.