Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the data from the CSV file. I think the tires were to hard to start with and it was a cold day, so they never really heated up much. I’ll plot the data and see what it looks like.
I was on track with my P3D yesterday. It was damp and the ambient temperature was around 50°.
Driving 5 laps of a 1.5 mile track my pressures went from 31/32psi to 36/37psi. The cold conditions really didn't help and I would have expected maybe a couple of psi more in that time if it had been a little warmer.

Generally, those of us running track tyres on the P3D are starting at 30-33psi to get the tyres into their operating window of 35-37psi.

Reactions: PierrotM3LRP
I, myself and I installed my new MPP FUCA yesterday :). It went just fine with some notes:
1- The new MPP FUCA design is different than the one in the MMP installation docs.
2- Some stuff seems to be different on the 2020 LR Performance than on the docs, specialy the fender liner I think
3- The removal of the bolts securing the front upper control arm to the front upper control arm carrier is a real bitch.
4- I did not have to remove the lower 21mm damper bolt, maybe it applies only to their coilovers...

The car now has enough camber in front, I have to install the MPP rear camber arms tomorrow.I have to get my new break pads installed and replace the break oil, then find a good alligmment shop...

Info from people here is so great and helped a lot, thank y'all :) It was nerve racking to start that on a brand new car, but seeing what others had done inpired confidence... ( never mix it up for competence :) )

Pierre

I get the data from the CSV file. I think the tires were to hard to start with and it was a cold day, so they never really heated up much. I’ll plot the data and see what it looks like.

Pressures are in bar rather than PSI. X axis is lap number. 2 was warm up lap, lap 3 and 4 were about 1m52s laps.
Acceleration plot below. I’d be interested to hear what lateral acceleration other people get on stock setups.

882CB6E6-C023-4B8C-B1AD-958106EFF9A0.png

I was on track with my P3D yesterday. It was damp and the ambient temperature was around 50°.
Driving 5 laps of a 1.5 mile track my pressures went from 31/32psi to 36/37psi. The cold conditions really didn't help and I would have expected maybe a couple of psi more in that time if it had been a little warmer.

Generally, those of us running track tyres on the P3D are starting at 30-33psi to get the tyres into their operating window of 35-37psi.
Thanks, that’s helpful.

Pressures are in bar rather than PSI. X axis is lap number. 2 was warm up lap, lap 3 and 4 were about 1m52s laps.
Acceleration plot below. I’d be interested to hear what lateral acceleration other people get on stock setups.

View attachment 599985
If you're getting 1.2G lateral on street tyres in any direction you're doing well. 1.4+ is possible with track tyres.
What are the actual tyre pressure values on lap 0 and lap 5? They look about 5psi apart but it's hard to tell with that graph.

Took my M3P to Mid Ohio on Friday and had a blast. Car handles incredibly well on stock form. I ended up with traction control fully off and a power split of 40F/60R which gave me the best lap times and made the car more neutral.

Ambient temp was 52* and I couldn't get more than 4 laps without it dropping power due to overheating. I had it up in the air last week and was checking out the cooling system wondering what could be done with it and now that is high on my list of things to do. It needs upgrades for sure and I don't see anything really available for the car yet.

I was messing around with the CSV file from track mode. Some good info there, but what is with the temps all being listed in percentages? Percentage of what? An actual temp would be much better.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Took my M3P to Mid Ohio on Friday and had a blast. Car handles incredibly well on stock form. I ended up with traction control fully off and a power split of 40F/60R which gave me the best lap times and made the car more neutral.

Ambient temp was 52* and I couldn't get more than 4 laps without it dropping power due to overheating. I had it up in the air last week and was checking out the cooling system wondering what could be done with it and now that is high on my list of things to do. It needs upgrades for sure and I don't see anything really available for the car yet.

I was messing around with the CSV file from track mode. Some good info there, but what is with the temps all being listed in percentages? Percentage of what? An actual temp would be much better.
The brake temperatures are estimated, not actual readings, so it could be the same for the others for all we know. Scanmytesla does conversions for some of them, but again how accurate they are we can't say for sure unless someone sticks some proper sensors and a data logger in a car, which presumably Unplugged and MPP have done.

Also, the traction control isn't totally off even when you dial SC to -10 in track mode.

View attachment 599985

dont bother with the lateral g, you can easily hit a peak rocking the car back and forth. It means nothing. Just look at the lap times and you will see what needs to be done

The brake temperatures are estimated, not actual readings, so it could be the same for the others for all we know. Scanmytesla does conversions for some of them, but again how accurate they are we can't say for sure unless someone sticks some proper sensors and a data logger in a car, which presumably Unplugged and MPP have done.

Also, the traction control isn't totally off even when you dial SC to -10 in track mode.

I noticed what I thought was likely traction control still coming on when trying to exit tighter corners hard. I could hear an almost clunk like noise from the front which I assumed was the diff trying to work in conjunction with the TC to not light up the inside tire. They are open diffs correct?

Sounded more like a drivetrain noise than a braking noise. Who knows though.

Is there any way to fully disable the traction control?
It sounds like that, but the torque vectoring works by applying braking to individual wheels and there's nothing else AFAIK which controls wheel slip on a Model 3, so that's what it'll be. At the moment, setting SC to -10 in track mode is the best you can do unless you want to try and gain more mechanical grip by fitting a LSD which should raise the threshold for the TC.

Sounds like a LSD would be good for sure. I think more time/fun could be had though in figuring out the cooling on this car. Definitely lacking.

I was looking at the radiator and noticed how small it is. The cooling system obviously uses the AC compressor to chill the coolant which is pretty cool. Doesn't anyone make any upgraded condensers or radiators? Does anyone know the actual temps of the coolant when it gets "hot"?

Sounds like a LSD would be good for sure. I think more time/fun could be had though in figuring out the cooling on this car. Definitely lacking.

I was looking at the radiator and noticed how small it is. The cooling system obviously uses the AC compressor to chill the coolant which is pretty cool. Doesn't anyone make any upgraded condensers or radiators? Does anyone know the actual temps of the coolant when it gets "hot"?
Aftermarket is on the way. I believe that for the next season we will have few options available.