Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

if Tesla lease change doesn’t work, could try: Lease transfer eligibility check | Swapalease.com

After getting used to properly handling regen braking, I wouldn’t go back to “low”. One pedal driving is wonderful. Just learn to not lift up your foot all the way like in an ice car. Regulate it.
I have literally emailed 3 different departments as well at my "SA" and have gotten completely ignored.

Could try going directly to a sales center.
I did just that yesterday. Sales guy answered all my questions. He said Tesla removed the low setting on the regen braking for EPA reasons but it was a software adjustment not a hardware, so maybe if enough people complain they will add it back on. I would highly recommend just going to the sales center then trying to get these guys on the phone.

Reactions: SO16
Dont' understand why people show up and take delivery, then have all these issues? I'm scheduled in 10 days to take delivery, going to look at it first. Any issues, go get another one....I got time.
This issue is just a preference. Which is a software setting that they took away for some reason. I still have it on mine. But I like full regen anyway. One peddle driving is the way to go.

Took delivery last Friday and notice the following issues:

1. Paint issues on both rear low rocker panel just ahead of the rear wheels. One side had a good paint chip from what looked like paint drips/dips.
2. Rear door handle on drivers side is recessed by about 5mm more than any others so it doesn't sit flush.
3. On the front drivers side under the car just behind the front wheel the undertray has a piece that is flapping around and isn't secured.
4. Loud rattle inside the car on the passenger B pillar.

Tesla noted all of these I got the car in on Monday to have a look at all of these. So far the paint issues for sure will be corrected and the car was sent to a shop for work. They also found the rattle on the B-pillar and have apparently fixed that. With that said once I pick up the car I hope the others are looked at. Otherwise the car actually looked really good overall, all the gaps looked great and interior was basically flawless.

What are people's tail light, lift/trunk light alignment like lately? Just a month or so ago people's trunk tail lights were sunken in about 1"
I am disappointed! Took delivery of M3P today and couldn't find anything wrong with it. OK, one gap probably a bit larger than you would expect but really there was not one thing I could complain about. Having had a Model X for four years I kind of feel a bit cheated now.

Wow, one in 1,000. How the trunk lights match up with the body tail lights? Surely some of could find about 10 things wrong with it. Don't believe it.

What are people's tail light, lift/trunk light alignment like lately? Just a month or so ago people's trunk tail lights were sunken in about 1"

Wow, one in 1,000. How the trunk lights match up with the body tail lights? Surely some of could find about 10 things wrong with it. Don't believe it.

I know it is hard to believe but my new M3P seems perfectly fine. I hadn't heard of the M3 tail light/trunk alignment issue so just went and had a look. It's perfect though I am sure at some point the tail light will fog up.

Today I did notice a teeny weeny pooling of paint on the very edge of the front of the hood which you can just see if the light is just right. Maybe others would find more things wrong, I don't know.

It's a Fremont car delivered in Norway on Thursday.

Reactions: techlogik
I took delivery yesterday and am in love with my M3LR so far. But there is a weird noise that kind of scares me a bit when I am moving slowly. It almost sounds like gravel in a metal bucket. I took a video of the noise this afternoon. It doesn't seem to happen after the car has been on the road for a bit. But it's a little concerning. Youtube below. Anyone know what this is?

Dont' understand why people show up and take delivery, then have all these issues? I'm scheduled in 10 days to take delivery, going to look at it first. Any issues, go get another one....I got time.
If they had a parking lot full of them to choose from, that would be a great strategy, they’d just reach into the magic box an give you another; as it is, I wouldn’t want to wait 3 more months and risk the same or worse issues. I don’t have that kind of time.

I took home delivery yesterday; clueless person who delivered it parked it under the local flock of parrots’ favorite tree, but I only managed to get a few tree drippings, and only one of them is stuck in the clearcoat - should come out with paint correction before PPF goes on.

I initially thought I got one of the bad ones, now I think I got one of the good ones lol.

* The gap on the left side of the back window/trunk is *slightly* larger than the right, looks worse because of the gap in weatherstripping, but that’s for the strut so no biggie.
* My charge door doesn’t close flush; probably close enough that they’ll say it’s in spec.
* Driver’s side rear door handle isn’t flush (gee, where have I seen that exact door with the exact same issue before?)
* Driver’s door must be slammed - it’s better after a couple hundred openings/closings, but a “normal” closure doesn’t do it, still needs strong intent. Passenger side rear needs more effort than I like, but not worth fixing.

The rest of the panels and trim are about as perfect as can be as far as I can tell, taillights are aligned perfectly, pretty uniform space between panels all around and nothing sticks out.

I’m sure my detailer/ppf & ceramics coater will find something, but I can’t find a single flaw in the paint except for a dull spot on the trunk under the spoiler that should come out with paint correction.

Interior looks perfect, I can’t find anything amiss, panels fit, I don’t see any issues inside at all.

Here are some pics showing what‘s above as well as a basic pic of the car.

Attachments

• A43608FF-B9F9-483B-AFFE-9647FAA292AB.jpeg
    A43608FF-B9F9-483B-AFFE-9647FAA292AB.jpeg
    691.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 15777422-EE58-4750-BCB5-5F0B0D33245E.jpeg
    15777422-EE58-4750-BCB5-5F0B0D33245E.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 600D9D67-F115-439B-A770-FDE5D3F260E0.jpeg
    600D9D67-F115-439B-A770-FDE5D3F260E0.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 7815E524-397B-4915-98C8-CD89268DA632.jpeg
    7815E524-397B-4915-98C8-CD89268DA632.jpeg
    429.1 KB · Views: 127
  • E1D32E27-C239-4C50-B233-BCC5B53C6F23.jpeg
    E1D32E27-C239-4C50-B233-BCC5B53C6F23.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 6B57B234-0253-42B3-9C0F-A4A3DDA70748.jpeg
    6B57B234-0253-42B3-9C0F-A4A3DDA70748.jpeg
    995.1 KB · Views: 119
Reporting back after a few days of driving, most of these don’t bother me
  • This one annoys me - on the shelf behind rear seats I’m missing one of the 3 hook covers. How does this happen? Are they just going to brush me off if I ask them to send me one lol?
  • Rattle from passenger side when no passenger in seat
  • Passenger door is slightly misaligned at top where it meets the pillar
  • Trunk is slightly off, looks worse than it is because of the trim delete” on the driver side for the power trunk
  • Possible I’ve got the creaky control arm issue… not consistent enough to actally confirm

other than that, been a joy to driver over the last week!​

Soap Box for just a minute: Was scheduled to have delivery Saturday at 4PM. Truck didn't show up so they pushed it a day. On Sunday, I got the phone call at 1 in the afternoon that it still hadn't shown up so it would be Monday or Tuesday before I would be able to take delivery. 4:15PM I get a phone call to come pickup the car. 4:44PM a manager calls me to tell me that 4 trucks worth of tesla's are headed to their store and if I am able to come get my car today. My immediate thought was "how long have you had my car??" At 5PM my SA calls me to tell me that my car is missing paint and was damaged in transit so it would be another week before I could take delivery. At this point I asked if I could come get the vehicle and drive it till service was ready to do the work. That was a no. I asked if they could put me in another tesla until mine was ready. That was a no. I asked about a rental until my tesla was ready. That was a no. Then I went hunting and found the same tesla about 5 hours away that was available. Of course by this point everyone at Tesla had gone home. I have not waited nearly as long as some individuals in California, but I still don't approve of the customer service and logistics nightmare that this company is allowed to display.

I know we are all excited for these vehicles, but I see a ton of grace being given to tesla for their mistakes which wouldn't even be contemplated if it were a traditional car manufacturer. Especially at the price point that we are expected to pay for these vehicles. Here's hoping I hear from a miracle worker at my delivery location that someone has pulled a rabbit out of the hat.

UPDATE:
SA called scheduled pickup now for Friday at 4PM. Management didn't care that I was frustrated that they screwed up. If you expect to be treated correctly for your $40K+ seek ownership elsewhere.

Haven't seen this discussed but picked up my M3P Thursday (6-17-21) had them work on the rear light and rear deck lid chip that day. Driving home noticed the steering when was off center so I started a repair in the app. Edited it the next day when I noticed a weird squeak coming form the right door, not a big deal. Also I keep getting that the right camera is blocked and needs to be cleaned, I assume so FSD will work properly but FSD seems to function. The error is intermittent and there is nothing on the car or over the camera. The service was switched from at my house to bringing it in on that same day for repair and a $290 repair bill they wanted me to agree to. The statement said for an alignment but the car doesnt need an alignment, as far as I can tell its like the connecting rod isnt adjusted out just right , i.e. I didnt hit anything it was like that from the moment I got in the car. Has anyone else had this happen? ive never been charged for service on a 4 day old car. Seems like Tesla trying to charge for an alignment on a new car is a little petty. Ive owned a bunch of different new cars and trucks even on the trucks the first alignment was always free.

The problem with the app, is that it lacks context. It's great for scheduling and billing, but if you were dealing with a human, they would clearly have better judgement and not tried to charge you for the alignment on a 4 day old vehicle. Unfortunately, for things like this, you can only talk to the service tech, who has little to no "official" powers once the request is in and agreed to. You need to talk to the service manager, which, access to varies by location. I'm sure once you do, it will be taken care of. Tesla has some funds set aside for each car sold which show up as "good will" on the invoice.

Reactions: Rob LsTa
I've always totally ignored those email estimates, no response to em at all, and nobody ever seemed to care. I think they're auto generated without regard to if something is a warranty issue or not. Never actually been charged for anything.

(except a windshield replacement, where I certainly expected to be charged since a rock hit it)

I've always totally ignored those email estimates, no response to em at all, and nobody ever seemed to care. I think they're auto generated without regard to if something is a warranty issue or not. Never actually been charged for anything.

(except a windshield replacement, where I certainly expected to be charged since a rock hit it)
ok now see thats helpful I was worried ,If I didnt reply but showed up on the day of ,they might say well we took you off the books because you never responded .

That's the estimate on the costs for the issues you reported. They can't know if it's warranty work until they look at the car. I had warranty work done once and I had an estimate too. It was changed to zero once they worked on the car.
Ok so I reported the alignment issue first a full 24hrs before the others and it was scheduled for my house no fee. Then when I edited it they came straight back at me with the charge for the first thing , it was just a little weird.