Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m ready to place an order for my Model 3. However I have heard rumors/read threads that talk about how the end of quarter quality decreases (more than normal) as they rush to produce cars.

I am in no rush to take delivery so here is my question:

Is it better to order now and take advantage of their “free supercharging for one year” special (end of year special)

Or

wait till early 2021 for a vehicle that’s hopefully not hastily put together.
I took delivery of a 12/1 build 21 M3 LR MSM/Black today and spent an hour looking it over in the sunshine. Not a single complaint about anything inside or out - and I am picky although not unreasonable. There were 12 other new 3/Y lined up and although I wasn't focused on them nothing jumped out either. This was at Dedham, MA SC. Excellent experience all around (3rd delivery). YEMV

Took delivery of 12/1 build M3 today also.. Nothing to complain about with the car. Panel gaps etc were all consistent, paint and interior had no issues. Tesla of Cherry Hill in NJ was buzzing with people trying to get orders in because NJ is suspending the 5k incentive till early summer of '21..

How's this for end of quarter quality? Techs cant adjust them, so it's going to a body shop.
Oof. That's pretty bad.

Now that I think about it, most of the cars I've bought new were EOQ builds as SOs (counting the Tesla as a SO, even though it's not, technically). None had any issues, including the Tesla. And dmurphy is correct, minor work does not have to be disclosed. All of the import marques have PDI facilities at ports like Baltimore, Brunswick, Corpus Christi and Long Beach to fix factory defects. BMW's was featured in BMW v. Gore (SCOTUS case re: punitive damages).

They've been rushing to pump out Model 3's since they were first released, and since the beginning until now, some are screwed together well and some aren't. They won't be slowing down next month, or the month after that, etc...

I took delivery of a 21' SR + today built 11/20. Passenger side door where it meets the fender did not line up and the trunk was uneven on one side (all documented and agreed to adjust). The worst was a scratch on the front of the vehicle, however they said they would use touch up paint for now and repaint once i set up the appointment other than that loving the car.

I took delivery of a 12/1 build 21 M3 LR MSM/Black today and spent an hour looking it over in the sunshine. Not a single complaint about anything inside or out - and I am picky although not unreasonable. There were 12 other new 3/Y lined up and although I wasn't focused on them nothing jumped out either. This was at Dedham, MA SC. Excellent experience all around (3rd delivery). YEMV
I’ve had great experiences in both service and delivery (this is my second Tesla) at Dedham. We’re lucky here. Not always the case elsewhere.

Reactions: dmurphy
I’ve had great experiences in both service and delivery (this is my second Tesla) at Dedham. We’re lucky here. Not always the case elsewhere.

I say the same about the Paramus NJ center. Had two excellent deliveries there. In both cases the cars were pretty near perfect - inspected, polished, detailed and ready to roll.

I don’t know Tesla’s inner workings but I suspect each center runs fairly independently. A good crew with attention to detail makes all the difference.

I say the same about the Paramus NJ center. Had two excellent deliveries there. In both cases the cars were pretty near perfect - inspected, polished, detailed and ready to roll.

I don’t know Tesla’s inner workings but I suspect each center runs fairly independently. A good crew with attention to detail makes all the difference.
this... I totally agree with this.

Hi Everyone,

Recently picked up my MP3 performance. Only issue I have is the panel gap on the passenger door. I noticed the same gap on other new M3 in the service center delivery parking lot. The older M3s did not have this gap. I am submitting a service request, but wanted to check how common this is among all the new refresh M3s. Thanks.

M3P refresh panel gap:
MP3 Gap.jpg

Older M3 in parking lot no gap
Older M3 no Gap.jpg

Oh man. That does NOT look easy to fix. In fact, looks like the door is bent. If you tilt the door out on that corner, I'm sure it'd cause other issues. Could it be the trim piece, which changed??? But again, it looks well placed on the door. Weird. How the heck didn't that catch QC's attention? Those guys are at Ford level now. And no, it's NOT a compliment. Ha ha. Let us know what service said. Good luck.

Will let you all know what I find out from service. Unfortunately I can’t schedule more than 1 service at a time so have to wait until my HomeLink is installed to put in another request.

Dependent on how they decide to fix it I may not do it. Concerned about paint damage etc if they have to pull it out.

I took my M3SR+ delivery last week, have the exact same issue. The gap is not visible initially but when I was giving the car a good wax, realized the gap and now it is the first thing I see everyday ☹️ Knowing that it is a common issue feel little better, have a service appointment on Jan 5th, will let you guys know..

Reactions: 95gator
One of my friends and neighbors just took delivery of a white 2021 SR+ yesterday, I did not notice this gap on his car. It was dark, but the car looked perfect from the outside as far as I could tell. I will take a closer look when I get a chance.

Really curious to see what the root cause behind this issue is, because it's not 100% obvious to me.

I agree with the other commenters here. Other than some minor things (nic on the dashboard, small paint chip, in spec panel gaps), the car has been amazing. I documented everything with a service rep and they said everything is covered under warranty. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about in terms of delivery or order. According to the rep, the center display panel and doors are installed by autonomous machines, but everything else is installed and examined by humans.

Hi Everyone,

Recently picked up my MP3 performance. Only issue I have is the panel gap on the passenger door. I noticed the same gap on other new M3 in the service center delivery parking lot. The older M3s did not have this gap. I am submitting a service request, but wanted to check how common this is among all the new refresh M3s. Thanks.

M3P refresh panel gap:
View attachment 618882

Older M3 in parking lot no gap
View attachment 618883

Mine had these two and the SC told me it's in spec for the car.