Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Powering house or other things with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. You could pretend to be a DC fast charger. Not sure if the computer would shut down the charging if the voltage starts going down rather than up, but it would be interesting.
This is bidirectional charging, which the protocol must allow to work. I'm pretty sure the computer will not allow current to flow from battery to the charger if not configured for it.

This is bidirectional charging, which the protocol must allow to work. I'm pretty sure the computer will not allow current to flow from battery to the charger if not configured for it.
Maybe? The contactors just connect the battery positive and negative directly to the charge port, once the charging is setup properly. It doesn't have any way to control current flow. It might open the contactors, though, if it doesn't like what is going on.

Reactions: jsight and brkaus
Maybe? The contactors just connect the battery positive and negative directly to the charge port, once the charging is setup properly. It doesn't have any way to control current flow. It might open the contactors, though, if it doesn't like what is going on.
It doesn't control the current flow, but it's constantly monitoring the current flow and voltage of the battery, and will cut things off if the charger is doing things that the car computer didn't tell it to do (which presumably current flowing the opposite direction would fall under).

My point is it's not only monitoring the voltage, but also the current and can instantly tell if it's not going the right way.

Reactions: jsight and brkaus
It doesn't control the current flow, but it's constantly monitoring the current flow and voltage of the battery, and will cut things off if the charger is doing things that the car computer didn't tell it to do (which presumably current flowing the opposite direction would fall under).

My point is it's not only monitoring the voltage, but also the current and can instantly tell if it's not going the right way.
Yeah, likely. We won't know for sure until someone tries!

I did wonder if you can add a transfer switch to an electrical panel and then plug the car into that to run a few circuits like water pump and fridge freezer.

I did almost this very thing. I used an interlock (instead of a transfer switch, which my AHJ does not require) which bolts to the load center cover and prevents the main breaker and breaker for the generator inlet jack from both being on at the same time. Since my inverter is only 120vac, I wired the connection cord so that the 120vac hot goes to BOTH hot legs of the load center. This means that my 240vac loads see zero volts, which is fine since there's not enough current to run them anyhow (fortunately my dual-fuel range it has a neutral wire and runs the gas controls off 120vac, so I can still use the cooktop).

Note that this is DANGEROUS, if your house wiring has multi-wire branch circuits (MWBC) where two 120vac hots share a neutral (a copper-saving method used by some electricians). If the two hots are not opposite phases (as would be the case with my approach), the neutral wire could be overloaded.

I've read every post on this topic, time to share my setup.

2019 Model 3
REC Pre-charge Model v3.1
Tyco EV200AAANA BMS Contactor 12-24VDC 500A
TICONN 5.9"x5.9"x3.5" Junction Box
1000W Inverter
2AWG Cable
120A Anderson Power Poles
100A Fuse Block
2AWG ring terminals and crimp tool

I desoldered the white molex 10 pin from the BEC v3.1 in order to fit the Junction box. Wires are soldered directly to the PCB through holes.

This is way more expensive than building your own pre-charge circuit, but is a higher quality finished product.

Attachments

• Model 3 Wiring Diagram.png
    Model 3 Wiring Diagram.png
    230.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20240123_160738.jpg
    20240123_160738.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240123_160829.jpg
    20240123_160829.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 29
This is way more expensive than building your own pre-charge circuit, but is a higher quality finished product.
Thanks for sharing. A couple questions ...

Why did you feel this pre-charge module was needed, rather than the "sparkless" connectors mentioned above (XT90AS, or Protek RC SQ8) ? The idea is to slowly charge the caps on the inverter's DC input, so there's not a sudden current draw on the Tesla, possibly triggering errors, right ?

Why only 1000 watt inverter ? Did you decide the Tesla's low-voltage system couldn't safely and continuously supply more ? On our Leaf, 1000 watts is also what I'm using, but when the refrigerator goes into auto-defrost it shuts down - most inconvenient.

How did you connect the inverter to your loads ? Generator inlet on the main breaker panel (as I describe above) ?

2019 Model 3
REC Pre-charge Model v3.1
Tyco EV200AAANA BMS Contactor 12-24VDC 500A
TICONN 5.9"x5.9"x3.5" Junction Box
1000W Inverter
2AWG Cable
120A Anderson Power Poles
100A Fuse Block
2AWG ring terminals and crimp tool

I desoldered the white molex 10 pin from the BEC v3.1 in order to fit the Junction box. Wires are soldered directly to the PCB through holes.

That is really nice. 👍

Why did you feel this pre-charge module was needed, rather than the "sparkless" connectors mentioned above (XT90AS, or Protek RC SQ8) ? The idea is to slowly charge the caps on the inverter's DC input, so there's not a sudden current draw on the Tesla, possibly triggering errors, right ?

Why only 1000 watt inverter ? Did you decide the Tesla's low-voltage system couldn't safely and continuously supply more ? On our Leaf, 1000 watts is also what I'm using, but when the refrigerator goes into auto-defrost it shuts down - most inconvenient.

How did you connect the inverter to your loads ? Generator inlet on the main breaker panel (as I describe above) ?
The antispark connectors only work to prevent issues when you first plug the inverter in while the 12v power is live. If the car goes to sleep and then wakes up with the inverter still connected, you might have issues. It might throw an error and refuse to start up because of the attached extra capacitors. The fancy solution above would prevent that.

But, I haven't tried it since I don't have a model 3 anymore.

Reactions: FalconFour

I chose this pre-charge module because I keep this inverter connected to the car at all times for work. If the PCS goes to sleep for any reason, the module will open the contactor and pre-charge when the PCS wakes up again, preventing any errors. For the same reason I chose only 1000W to keep a healthy margin while driving for power brakes, steering, etc. From what I read the PCS has a thermal limit around 2500W, although 2000W while parked is my safe maximum.

I have a portable power station for handling higher power surges of appliances and run cords directly as needed. This setup allows me to A/C fast charge the power station.

Reactions: RustyShacklefo
So you're using the inverter output, for work, while driving ? Interesting.
It's worse than that, I'm brewing coffee while on Autopilot! But seriously, anyone considering this needs to use extreme caution. I know the risks and monitor the DC-DC output in real time via Scan My Tesla app to make sure I'm keeping a healthy safety margin.

One more quesiton ... not sure if the low DC on yoiur car is 12v, or higher. If higher, what inverter have you found that can handle 16vdc (or whatever) input voltage ?
There are many high quality inverters that can take up to 17.0VDC battery voltage. For example, the Victron Phoenix line has a wide range from 9.2-17.0VDC input. The highest model can output 1200VA continuous and 2200W Peak. It has a transformer inside so it's kind of heavy, but that's how it gets the Peak performance.

Amazon: Victron Phoenix 1200VA 12V 120VAC

I have the 800VA version.

Reactions: RustyShacklefo