Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Powering house or other things with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sounds important. Can you explain the use of a precharge resistor? I understand capacitors but not what a precharge resistor is or how you implement it. Do you use some sort of auxilliary precharge circuit to charge the capacitors? What is the power source for that? Can you switch over with the capacitors charged?

I suggest you Google "inverter precharge circuit" as it seems you need more background that are much better explained than by existing resources than what I can provide.

Reactions: PhysicsGuy
Thanks for all your great posts Cali. I am wondering what inverter do you might recommend? Does the Sudokeji 1500 W pure sine wave seem like a good choice?

I am not familiar with that brand but any decent 12V input pure sine inverter should work. Just don't skimp on battery cable gauge (I suggest 1/0) as it's high current at 12V.

You should also follow @marcmerlin's writeup for more detailed steps.

Last edited:
I suggest you Google "inverter precharge circuit" as it seems you need more background that are much better explained than by existing resources than what I can provide.

I see now. Thanks a lot. I was a bit surprised that MM used 1.8 Ohm, though I guess that still limits the heating rate to 100 Watts (barely). Any reason not to go with a 20 ohm power resistor, or even larger, and make the precharge current really small?

Additionally, I am thinking I would be a bit more comfortable incorporating at normally off relay on the 14.8 volt side. Do you feel like that would dissipate too much energy/heat in the long run?

One last thing, I am thinking that in an abundance of caution and very much not wanting to take any chance of tripping the dc-dc converter in the model 3, it would be good to have a fuse, breaker or relay that trips at high current in the 14.8 volt side of the dc power that goes to the inverter. What would be the appropriate spec for that, that would protect the dc-dc converter? I would love to get a specific recommendation for that that would be compatible with the things I am running and a SUDOKEJI 1500W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter

Here are the specs of what I plan to run:
1. Normal Fridge. 120 watts when on, 500 to 1100 Watt peak power for a second or so when compressor starts.
2. Small Fridge. 80 Watts when on, 500 to 600 Watts peak power for a second or so when compressor starts.
3. Chest Freezer. 90 Watts when on, 200 to 300 Watts peak power for a second or so when compressor starts.

If two things came on at the same time by coincidence, or the capacitors somehow temporarily drained, or ..., I am thinking it would be very much preferable to have a breaker trip on the 12 volt circuit to the inverter, rather than to have the Tesla dc-dc converter shut down.

One last thing, I am thinking that in an abundance of caution and very much not wanting to take any chance of tripping the dc-dc converter in the model 3, it would be good to have a fuse, breaker or relay that trips at high current in the 14.8 volt side of the dc power that goes to the inverter. What would be the appropriate spec for that, that would protect the dc-dc converter? I would love to get a specific recommendation for that that would be compatible with the things I am running and a SUDOKEJI 1500W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter

1. Normal Fridge. 120 watts when on, 500 to 1100 Watt peak power for a second or so when compressor starts.
2. Small Fridge. 80 Watts when on, 500 to 600 Watts peak power for a second or so when compressor starts.
3. Chest Freezer. 90 Watts when on, 200 to 300 Watts peak power for a second or so when compressor starts.

If two things came on at the same time by coincidence, or the capacitors somehow temporarily drained, or ..., I am thinking it would be very much preferable to have a breaker trip on the 12 volt circuit to the inverter, rather than to have the Tesla dc-dc converter shut down.
That is a very cheap inverter. I have this one. The quality is very good and has 1,500W peak output even though the continuous rating is 800VA.

https://smile.amazon.com/Victron-En...6T8MW4F/ref=sr_1_2&qid=1587439295&sr=8-2&th=1

I also use a breaker like this close to the 12V tap point on the car.
https://smile.amazon.com/ZOOKOTO-Ci...100+amp+circuit+breaker&qid=1587439607&sr=8-1

That is a very cheap inverter. I have this one. The quality is very good and has 1,500W peak output even though the continuous rating is 800VA.

https://smile.amazon.com/Victron-En...6T8MW4F/ref=sr_1_2&qid=1587439295&sr=8-2&th=1

I also use a breaker like this close to the 12V tap point on the car.
https://smile.amazon.com/ZOOKOTO-Ci...100+amp+circuit+breaker&qid=1587439607&sr=8-1
Thanks. That does look really good. Do you know if that has pre-charge circuitry built in that would limit the current draw when you first plug it in to a 12 volt source (and it begins to charge the capacitors)?

I see now. Thanks a lot. I was a bit surprised that MM used 1.8 Ohm, though I guess that still limits the heating rate to 100 Watts (barely). Any reason not to go with a 20 ohm power resistor, or even larger, and make the precharge current really small?

Additionally, I am thinking I would be a bit more comfortable incorporating at normally off relay on the 14.8 volt side. Do you feel like that would dissipate too much energy/heat in the long run?

20 ohm would be fine. It just takes a bit longer to precharge but I doubt you would notice. You can use a relay but it's more common to use a circuit breaker with manual switch since it's simpler.

If you are concerned about starting power then you should look at low frequency inverters that have a single large transformer instead of a several small ones but they are generally significantly more expensive and heavier than high frequency inverters like the one you are looking at. You can search for "low frequency inverter" to more info. AIMS seems to be a popular brand for low frequency inverters but I have not used one. Alternatively, you can add soft start kits to your fridges that would reduce the starting power required.

As for breakers that can react to short power surges, you may need a fast 15A breaker on the 120V AC side since high current DC breakers are mostly thermal breakers that don't react to short power surges.

• Informative
Thanks. That does look really good. Do you know if that has pre-charge circuitry built in that would limit the current draw when you first plug it in to a 12 volt source (and it begins to charge the capacitors)?
I do not have a precharge circuit. However, I use an Anderson type connector between the breaker and the inverter. When I connect the inverter, there is no voltage present and I use the switch on the breaker to make the connection. I don't know how much in-rush there actually is. My shunt meter is also connected to the breaker protected side, so there is no reading until the voltage and current has settled.

I don't use this setup with my Model 3. It is connected in close proximity to the 12V battery in my RAV4 EV. That car uses basically the same DC-DC converter as a 2012 Model S.

The DC-DC converter must run the heater, airconditioning, seat heaters and some auto computer mondules that draw high 12 volt current. Then I wonder why Tesla needs the 12 battery at all.

To operate some of the electrics and electronics in the event that the main battery is disabled - i.e. so that main fuse blown at highway speed does not equal no power to steering, headlights, airbags, etc.

Always found it odd to consider using energy from your transportation when you are in a cautionary state just for convenience at home.

It's more than just for convenience if it's thirty-nine C below zero outside and the house heating system controls are electric.

But yes, a small emergency generator could run the critical items without also eventually disabling the evacuation vehicle. Some plugin hybrids like the Outlander have a 15A x 120 V outlet, but Mitsubishi doesn't sell home battery systems.

So I came home to a power outage last night, ah mountain living.

As I am burning the lamp oil for light, and hating the fumes I start to wonder why I'm sitting in the dark with 40 kWh in the battery sitting in my driveway. I decided to plug a small inverter into my cigarette lighter in my Model 3 and power some lights in the house with it. Since its just a 200W inverter I wasn't too worried about draw, but I was aware that it would drain my 12v battery.

Anyone know how often the main HV battery charges the 12v battery? Also, how many amps is the dc-dc converter able to provide safely to the 12V battery?

If this power outage lasts longer I might get crazy and pick up a 1000w inverter and seeing if it will power my refrigerator. I just want to make sure I wont be running down my 12v battery too badly.

If I do run down my 12v battery, what would be the effect? Would the car still be drive able? I guess the 12v systems like lights, windows ect wouldn't function, but I am not sure. Anyone with experience?

If you run your 12V down you will be dead in the water.There is supposed to be a low battery warning but more than one report of no warning. I just replaced my with an Ohmmu Li Ion built specifically for the M3. There are several videos on Youtube and the 12V and how to change it out for the M3 and also all the functions that are powered by the 12V. Almost everything but the motor(s). The Ohmmu is a very impressive replacement for the OEM. Guaranteed for 48 months, one report of 5 years and 150k+. 100% refund. Delivery overnight.

Last edited:
You can connect a big inverter directly to the 12V battery terminals under the hood.

The DC/DC converter in the car will provide up to 2500W and will keep the 12V battery charged with the car off. I don't recommend doing it all the time, since Tesla could see it and void your battery warranty, but in an emergency, I doubt there would be a problem.

--n2mb seems to make the most sense here--any confirmation of what he claims?
I have an old Prius and years ago I read in a Prius forum similar to this one how to hook up a 1200 watt inverter to the 12V battery, leave the car on and the drive pack will automatically keep the 12V charged and now and then the ICE will kick in and recharge the drive pack. Last fall it worked perfectly several times and once for four days. It ran the Fridge, LED lights, several computers & etc. I know this is different but the Prius drive pack is tiny compared to a Tesla so it seems it could work.

Methinks the issue brought up several times here about energy returning to the grid does not apply if the 12V battery is connected to an inverter and an extension chord goes into the limited household appliances (NOT the house's panel--as I did with Prius) My pure sine wave inverter (to run electronics) did cost 3-$400 for 1200 watts.

I still have the Prius for that purpose but could of course get a 2000 watt $1500 dual fuel inverter/generator and be done with it. During the 4 day outage many neighborhoods around me in N. CA had the drone/chugging sounds and smell of exhaust from all the generators running :eek: The dual fuel is more expen$ive but has less noxious exhaust than gas or diesel :cool:

Last edited:
--n2mb seems to make the most sense here--any confirmation of what he claims?
I have an old Prius and years ago I read in a Prius forum similar to this one how to hook up a 1200 watt inverter to the 12V battery, leave the car on and the drive pack will automatically keep the 12V charged and now and then the ICE will kick in and recharge the drive pack. Last fall it worked perfectly several times and once for four days. It ran the Fridge, LED lights, several computers & etc. I know this is different but the Prius drive pack is tiny compared to a Tesla so it seems it could work.

Methinks the issue brought up several times here about energy returning to the grid does not apply if the 12V battery is connected to an inverter and an extension chord goes into the limited household appliances (NOT the house's panel--as I did with Prius) My pure sine wave inverter (to run electronics) did cost 3-$400 for 1200 watts.

I still have the Prius for that purpose but could of course get a 2000 watt $1500 dual fuel inverter/generator and be done with it. During the 4 day outage many neighborhoods around me in N. CA had the drone/chugging sounds and smell of exhaust from all the generators running :eek: The dual fuel is more expen$ive but has less noxious exhaust than gas or diesel :cool:

I think I was wrong about that working on the model 3. It will only work on the Model S/X. The charging current for the 12V battery on the Model 3 seems to be too low to be useful. On the Model 3 you'll need to go right to the DC/DC converter.

I have a dedicated backup battery (non Powerwall) at the moment, I can use my Tesla to charge that safely to power the house. It's more expensive, but I really don't want to brick my $60K vehicle. I prefer to use that to charge another battery or device that runs the inverter. I can do it without lifting the frunk or the trunk or any wiring.

I have a dedicated backup battery (non Powerwall) at the moment, I can use my Tesla to charge that safely to power the house. It's more expensive, but I really don't want to brick my $60K vehicle. I prefer to use that to charge another battery or device that runs the inverter. I can do it without lifting the frunk or the trunk or any wiring.

Can you explain more how you use your Tesla to charge your other battery?