Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Rear view camera image goes black [2019-2020]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I didn't do anything and the rear view camera started working the next day. The car was sitting in the garage. I checked it in reverse and park. Hopefully it's here to stay.
The contactors just need to open for the issue to be "fixed". This can happen through the manual method I described, or leaving the car alone to sleep. For it to sleep it can't be charging and I think Sentry mode must be off too. One the contactor opens and the HV battery is disconnected, it resets the system and fixes these annoying issues.

I've got a 5 week old model three that experienced the camera problem yesterday. Was running the latest (.7) software. I tried the two button, and then the brake pedal plus button, reset. No luck. Like all the others, letting the car sit overnight on the charger fixed the issue.

The car needs to go to sleep, either leave it sitting with sentry off overnight or pull the battery connectors.
Thanks. It’s been sleeping for 2 hours already and I’ll let it sleep all night. I also spoke with my favorite SC Manager and he told me it might be a firmware bug. He’ll dig into it and call me back when he has more info. Another thing we might try is to have him push the firmware to me again. At any rate, this has never happened since I took delivery in July 2019 so something is amiss.

Thanks. It’s been sleeping for 2 hours already and I’ll let it sleep all night. I also spoke with my favorite SC Manager and he told me it might be a firmware bug. He’ll dig into it and call me back when he has more info. Another thing we might try is to have him push the firmware to me again. At any rate, this has never happened since I took delivery in July 2019 so something is amiss.
Any software update will "fix" the issue because it will cycle the contactors as well. If you really want to get rid of it without waiting, just pop the negative terminal off the 12v battery in the frunk, then lift up the rear seat bottom cushion and disconnect the harness from the HV battery contactor on the passenger side. But in my experience, leaving it overnight usually solves it.

Any software update will "fix" the issue because it will cycle the contactors as well. If you really want to get rid of it without waiting, just pop the negative terminal off the 12v battery in the frunk, then lift up the rear seat bottom cushion and disconnect the harness from the HV battery contactor on the passenger side. But in my experience, leaving it overnight usually solves it.
Thank you, I’ll give that a shot. I had already tried to use the “power off” function for 10 minutes and that didn’t work yesterday.

Yeah that won't do it either, the contactor isn't really controllable by the user. The only way you can really cycle it yourself through software is via an update.
I just spoke with the SC Manager and he agreed that he would follow the Hard Reset approach as a test. Typical Tesla won’t touch my car for this as I replaced the 12v battery from lead acid to an Ohmmu. So I’m on my own anyway.

I just spoke with the SC Manager and he agreed that he would follow the Hard Reset approach as a test. Typical Tesla won’t touch my car for this as I replaced the 12v battery from lead acid to an Ohmmu. So I’m on my own anyway.
I would do it yourself anyways, as waiting 1-2 weeks for a service appointment will likely see the issue fix itself from sitting. Either wait it out or just reset it yourself. Have you tried pulling the contactor harness yet? It's super easy. Also if you're gonna try waiting it out, make sure the car gets to sleep. As in, no charging it overnight, sentry mode off, etc.

I would do it yourself anyways, as waiting 1-2 weeks for a service appointment will likely see the issue fix itself from sitting. Either wait it out or just reset it yourself. Have you tried pulling the contactor harness yet? It's super easy. Also if you're gonna try waiting it out, make sure the car gets to sleep. As in, no charging it overnight, sentry mode off, etc.
Yeah, I’ve done that a few times already. I do most work on my car myself anyway. I did the reset this morning and it did work out. Thanks!

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Glad to hear it man, the reset has saved my bacon about 4 times since I got the car half a year ago. Things like GPS malfunctions to black backup cameras and purple lines on my backup camera.
I’ve done quite a few mods. And anything that relates to a mod the SC won’t touch. Was never this way with my Audis, Porsche’s, etc. But hey, I can manage most things myself. Tesla can deal with the big issues related to the HV battery if needed.

I’ve done quite a few mods. And anything that relates to a mod the SC won’t touch. Was never this way with my Audis, Porsche’s, etc. But hey, I can manage most things myself. Tesla can deal with the big issues related to the HV battery if needed.
It's weird how changing out a 12V battery scares them away. Like you said I can't imagine a normal car company minding you changing a battery.

Haven't had this happen on my model 3, but your description is exactly what my prior amg e63 did randomly with the camera.

So the rear view camera doesn't work sometimes. Like it takes a while for it to boot up, and maybe like 10-20 min later, when I go to park, it will work. But when I leave a parking spot or my house, I see a black screen that won't show me what is behind me.

It did it once and just thought it was a fluke, but it happens on and off now. And I want to be sure if this is something I should bring up to the main guy who sold me this Tesla. I don't think it's broken because it will work eventually, but I just see a black screen sometimes when I leave the house.

After sitting all alone overnight, my Tesla has a hard time waking up (maybe it’s not a morning person). I first have to open the back door next to the charge port to get the car to release the charge cable … that’s starts the wake-up process. Then sitting in the driver’s seat turns on the headlights and that sort of shakes my car to start the wake-up-now process (I think it has to boot up the software, and that takes time). The screen is still black and I can’t open my garage door until I can see the garage door icon; that may take 15 to 30 seconds. Once the screen is alive, things start working normally. So I hit the garage door icon, the garage door opens, I put the car in reverse and … instead of seeing my backup cam I get my calendar. Touching the X to close the calendar reveals my backup cam. Now things finally begin to work normally. Maybe HW3, being a faster processor, might help this issue?
I have the black cam screen occasionally and the backdoor/cable problem most of the time. Power off for 3 minutes. Problem goes away for a while. I usually live with it.

You can do it yourself, although it is not something Tesla recommends users do. See the THIRD option here The definitive guide to RESET on Tesla Model 3
Oh yeah I'm aware of the method via removing the 12v battery terminal and then unplugging the contactor harness under the rear passenger side seat. It's just not easily accessible to the user. It has saved me multiple times when I don't want to wait X amount of hours for my car to sleep. Just a lot of users are scared for whatever reason to do it.