Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Matrix LED Headlights Retrofit Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you know you can get it to work, building an adapter is a better path.

You'll need this: Connector housing Pigtail For Audi VW BMW VOLVO GM ROVER DODGE PARKING PDC PUMP | eBay
and
This: Headlight Wiring Harness Xenon For 2003 2004 2005 2006 Porsche Cayenne 3.2L 4.5L | eBay

I tend to depin any unused connectors, then cut the opposite end of the wire. You'll need a crimp tool to make it this way and a set of depinning tools. Simple enough to do and takes about an hour total.

All of this said, I don't have high hopes that the MCU2 codebase has the Matrix control software in it for the Model S.

If that's not your cup of tea and you want to splice into the factory harness, you can find the pigtail here: 4F0 973 703 Fits VW Audi SKODA 3-Pin Pigtail Plug Wiring Connector Adapter New | eBay

or this one: VW AUDI BMW MB VOLVO JAG GM Bumper Parking Distance Control Sensor Pigtail Plug | eBay
I received my brand new matrix headlights and one set of the connectors. The other connectors should be here soon and I'll start the conversion process and post my progress. Thanks for the links and information!

I received my brand new matrix headlights and one set of the connectors. The other connectors should be here soon and I'll start the conversion process and post my progress. Thanks for the links and information!
Sorry if already posted, but how much are those two new matrix headlights these days?

Can't wait to read your full report--good luck and please keep us posted!

Leecox, you mentioned that you need to find someone to change the Tesla Gateway Configuration. I am brand new to Tesla so where would someone go for that service? I called my local Tesla service center in East Texas and they said it is not possible.

Reactions: leecox
Leecox, you mentioned that you need to find someone to change the Tesla Gateway Configuration. I am brand new to Tesla so where would someone go for that service? I called my local Tesla service center in East Texas and they said it is not possible.
Yes, Tesla treats all the cars like iPhones from the factory. If the car doesn’t come with it, or they haven’t developed a retrofit, then it isn’t possible. There are a bunch of threads on here about doing it. I’d point to the Model 3 Matrix headlight thread as an example.

Service Centers can’t even install a part that hasn’t been approved for that model year. You can buy them and install them yourself.

As with any car, it’s parts, wiring and programming. The issue with Tesla’s is the programming part.

I've been looking at these for my refresh 2016 Model S, both DRL eyebrows are blown on mine. AlphaRex NOVA-Series 5x LED Projector Headlights for Tesla Model S (2012-2020), these might be an option too. Model S Matrix Headlight Upgrade (For 2012-2021 Model)

I just picked a 2023 Model X yesterday for the wife. I freaking love that damn Matrix headlights, I may have to trade in the 2016 for a new S...
It’s really great that the aftermarket is starting to embrace the Model S. Gives some longevity to the cars.

It’s really great that the aftermarket is starting to embrace the Model S. Gives some longevity to the cars.
I am hesitant to buy either until they post lumen or lux count for both high and low beam and curves like the IIHS testing.

Understanding the ratings: How much better are good headlights?​

Vehicles with good-rated headlights have 19% fewer nighttime single-vehicle crashes than vehicles with poor-rated headlights. Acceptable and marginal headlights are associated with reductions of about 15% and 10%. These numbers are based on a 2021 analysis of police-reported crashes.

1705632627755.png

Ratings are given for 6 different headlight variations available on this vehicle.

Trim level(s)​

• All trims; built after August 2016
Distance at which headlights provide at least 5 lux illumination:
Low-beam headlight typeLED reflector
High-beam headlight typeLED reflector
Curve-adaptive?Yes
High-beam assist?Yes
Overall ratingMEH

Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was fair on the left side of the road and inadequate on the right side. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.
The low beams never exceeded glare limits.
High beams
On the straightaway, visibility was good on the right side of the road and inadequate on the left side. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.
High-beam assist compensates for some limitations of this vehicle's low beams on the straightaway and all 4 curves.
Technical measurements for this test

Trim level(s)​

• 60 trim equipped with Premium package; built after August 2016
  • 60D trim equipped with Premium package; built after August 2016
  • 75 trim equipped with Premium package; built after August 2016
  • 75D trim equipped with Premium package; built after August 2016
  • 90D trim equipped with Premium package; built after August 2016
  • P100D trim equipped with Premium package; built after August 2016
Curve-adaptive?Yes
High-beam assist?No
Overall ratingPiss Poor

Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was fair on the left side of the road and inadequate on the right side. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.
High beams
On the straightaway, visibility was good on the right side of the road and inadequate on the left side. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.

Trim level(s)​

• 60 trim equipped with Autopilot package; built after August 2016
  • 60D trim equipped with Autopilot package; built after August 2016
  • 75 trim equipped with Autopilot package; built after August 2016
  • 75D trim equipped with Autopilot package; built after August 2016
  • 90D trim equipped with Autopilot package; built after August 2016
  • P100D trim equipped with Autopilot package; built after August 2016
Curve-adaptive?No
High-beam assist?Yes
Overall ratingPiss Poor

Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was inadequate on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.
High beams
On the straightaway, visibility was fair on the right side of the road and inadequate on the left side. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.
High-beam assist compensates for some limitations of this vehicle's low beams on the straightaway and all 4 curves.

Trim level(s)​

• 60 trim; built after August 2016
  • 60D trim; built after August 2016
  • 75 trim; built after August 2016
  • 75D trim; built after August 2016
  • 90D trim; built after August 2016
  • P100D trim; built after August 2016
Curve-adaptive?No
High-beam assist?No
Overall ratingPiss Poor

Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was inadequate on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.
High beams
On the straightaway, visibility was fair on the right side of the road and inadequate on the left side. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.

Trim level(s)​

• All trims; built before September 2016
Curve-adaptive?Yes
High-beam assist?Yes
Overall ratingPiss Poor

Low beams
High beams

Trim level(s)​

• 60 trim equipped with Premium package; built before September 2016
  • 60D trim equipped with Premium package; built before September 2016
  • 70 trim equipped with Premium package; built before September 2016
  • 70D trim equipped with Premium package; built before September 2016
  • 75 trim equipped with Premium package; built before September 2016
  • 75D trim equipped with Premium package; built before September 2016
  • 85 trim equipped with Premium package; built before September 2016
  • 85D trim equipped with Premium package; built before September 2016
  • P85D trim equipped with Premium package; built before September 2016
  • 90D trim equipped with Premium package; built before September 2016
  • P90D trim equipped with Premium package; built before September 2016
Curve-adaptive?Yes
High-beam assist?No
Overall ratingPiss Poor

Low beams
High beams
How headlights are evaluated

Last edited:
Those lights are on 2021 model S, installed by the local technician in Moldova.
High beam, low beam is working, turn signals also.
The care is still in body shop, so I hope to test them on the roads next week i hope.
Could you please take a picture how it looks on a car itself? Are mounting points are the same? Or it requires some physical modifications ?

The “Premium LED” lights have vertical mounting hole in inner corner on both lights. The Matrix lights have a horizontal mount point in the same location. The plastic inner front frame on the 2021 refresh cars can accommodate both using the same bolt. The Matrix lights are physically smaller with a bumper retention clip attached to the bottom. On the older lights, there is a plastic bumper retention bolt on piece that you remove with the light.

Other than these two differences and the wiring/programming change, they are pretty much plug and play.

The “Premium LED” lights have vertical mounting hole in inner corner on both lights. The Matrix lights have a horizontal mount point in the same location. The plastic inner front frame on the 2021 refresh cars can accommodate both using the same bolt. The Matrix lights are physically smaller with a bumper retention clip attached to the bottom. On the older lights, there is a plastic bumper retention bolt on piece that you remove with the light.

Other than these two differences and the wiring/programming change, they are pretty much plug and play.
Thank you leecox ;)
Are all functions fully working on the older Tesla?