Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Matrix LED Headlights Retrofit Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t mean to raise anyone’s hopes, but do a search for carbon in toolbox.

The CCB action pops up and lets you run it! I haven’t run it so far but I’m going to :)
I haven't tried that one, but a lot of the routines that change the gateway configs don't successfully complete. Steering wheel configuration being one of the ones I did try that did fail.

BUT you can edit the configs through service shell. And Tesla was kind enough to tell us which specific configs are changed with the CCB routine. Did take a screenshot when I still had toolbox access

1718053330668.png

Hi guys, quick question. So I managed to complete the install of my matrix headlights, but I'm having a really annoying issue where for the life of me, and also with 2 different headlights, the right side will not auto-calibrate correctly.
Once installed, the beam is consistently low and I am unable to use the scroll wheels to adjust the beam positions up. The left unit has no problems at all and has full range of motion with the adjustment but the right unit has about half of the adjustment range. I replaced the unit with another unit from a different seller and it still has the same problem.
Also, I can't adjust the headlights left and right from the menu unless I'm in service mode, has anyone else has this problem before?

Current software version is 2024.14.7. I'm wondering did we incorrectly install the software?

On another note, as I drive, I can clearly see the headlights moving the beam up and down depending if I'm accelerating or braking. And then after a bit, the L and R units sync up and they level out still a little bit low, also ignoring the adjustments from earlier too.
IMG_0404.PNG

This has been driving me crazy. I'm just trying to brainstorm some fixes for the strange actions of the lights. I've attached pictures. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Hi, Sorry you’re still struggling with this. A few things:

1. They aren’t supposed to move like that…at all.
2. When you replaced the light did you redeploy the firmware in Service mode?
3. Under the ECU section in service mode what does it say about the health of the affected headlight module?

I think either the firmware didn’t get applied properly over the LIN connection, it wasn’t redeployed or you got two bad headlights.

I’ve not seen anyone else with this specific issue. The Service mode L and R adjustments is correct.

Reactions: Bull
That’s normal assuming your car is US spec.
I was wondering where the left and right adjustments were. That is good to know. Is there anything else different about adjusting the lights from service mode?

One issue I have is that when I enter the non service mode adjustment routine my headlights go Marty Feldman on me before settling back to a default basic alignment. That alignment is not close to where I had previously adjusted them. Is there a way that the car saves the previous settings and my adjustment starts from the previous one? Or do I need to start from the default each time? I'm thinking maybe I should be counting clicks up and down so I can reproduce a particular alignment.

Hi guys, quick question. So I managed to complete the install of my matrix headlights, but I'm having a really annoying issue where for the life of me, and also with 2 different headlights, the right side will not auto-calibrate correctly.
Once installed, the beam is consistently low and I am unable to use the scroll wheels to adjust the beam positions up. The left unit has no problems at all and has full range of motion with the adjustment but the right unit has about half of the adjustment range. I replaced the unit with another unit from a different seller and it still has the same problem.
Also, I can't adjust the headlights left and right from the menu unless I'm in service mode, has anyone else has this problem before?

Current software version is 2024.14.7. I'm wondering did we incorrectly install the software?

On another note, as I drive, I can clearly see the headlights moving the beam up and down depending if I'm accelerating or braking. And then after a bit, the L and R units sync up and they level out still a little bit low, also ignoring the adjustments from earlier too.View attachment 1056167

This has been driving me crazy. I'm just trying to brainstorm some fixes for the strange actions of the lights. I've attached pictures. Any help at all would be appreciated.
@leecox is probably right. Maybe just redeploy the firmware in Service mode.

Which revision headlights are these? Also, were they sold as new? It seems the new headlights on ebay are seconds. I was not able to get an answer as to what did not pass inspection on mine but yours could be a second as well. Less likely since you have 2 different lights with the same problem though.

Also, since 2 lights have the same problem, maybe it is the mounting. Are you sure there is nothing off about the mounting that is causing the light to aim low? If aimed too low it could be at its adjustment range.

Last thought, if you are able to get your hands on a known good light you could swap it in. That would tell you where the problem is.

Hi, Sorry you’re still struggling with this. A few things:

1. They aren’t supposed to move like that…at all.
2. When you replaced the light did you redeploy the firmware in Service mode?
3. Under the ECU section in service mode what does it say about the health of the affected headlight module?

I think either the firmware didn’t get applied properly over the LIN connection, it wasn’t redeployed or you got two bad headlights.

I’ve not seen anyone else with this specific issue. The Service mode L and R adjustments is correct.
Yep, they're completely confused headlights!

Yep, everytime I do a change, I reinstall the software multiple times, no changes.

How do I check the ECU health? Is it the ECU update status? I can see that the headlamp control modules are there in the Version Matched ECUs section.

I have a feeling the firmware wasn't applied properly. How do you reapply the firmware over LIN?

IMG_0405.jpg

The only way we can reapply firmware is through the service mode screen or using toolbox to do the same. If you’re not seeing errors on the screen in service mode under alerts, or when it tries to update then the firmware should be fine. I really don’t know what else could be causing this issue. What version are the two lights you have? Not that it should matter…

@leecox is probably right. Maybe just redeploy the firmware in Service mode.

Which revision headlights are these? Also, were they sold as new? It seems the new headlights on ebay are seconds. I was not able to get an answer as to what did not pass inspection on mine but yours could be a second as well. Less likely since you have 2 different lights with the same problem though.

Also, since 2 lights have the same problem, maybe it is the mounting. Are you sure there is nothing off about the mounting that is causing the light to aim low? If aimed too low it could be at its adjustment range.

Last thought, if you are able to get your hands on a known good light you could swap it in. That would tell you where the problem is.
The right unit is 1563714-00-E. I got them from Zapaska which other people have used as well.
We were thinking it was possibly the mounting, but even after shimming the unit up, it still levels weird and wont stay higher. And that unfortunately doesn't solve the issue of the limited range for the headlight adjust.

I'll have to see where I can find a good light, I honestly wouldn't have any idea on that at all.

If you hook up your diagnostic tool, you should get put into the Service Mode Plus. In there you can go under Alerts and see hidden alerts that Tesla captures but doesn’t show customers. Is there anything in there? If you have two lights that behave the same, and swapping the adapters doesn’t affect the behavior, the only other issue could be what is sending the signal to the light, which I believe is VC_Front.

The only way we can reapply firmware is through the service mode screen or using toolbox to do the same. If you’re not seeing errors on the screen in service mode under alerts, or when it tries to update then the firmware should be fine. I really don’t know what else could be causing this issue. What version are the two lights you have? Not that it should matter…
The right unit is 1563714-00-E and the left seem to be the F variant.

Would reverting the gateway back to the original and then trying again possibly fix it?

If you hook up your diagnostic tool, you should get put into the Service Mode Plus. In there you can go under Alerts and see hidden alerts that Tesla captures but doesn’t show customers. Is there anything in there? If you have two lights that behave the same, and swapping the adapters doesn’t affect the behavior, the only other issue could be what is sending the signal to the light, which I believe is VC_Front.
unfortunately I don't have the diagnostic tools. after installing the lights, I drove about 40 minutes to my contact who then put the car into service mode plus and changed the config of the car to accept the lights, I drove all the way there with one headlight on and the car barking at me that the low voltage battery needed servicing. I'm planning on visiting him again soon and spitball some ideas to him. It looks like my car is currently downloading an update, would that possibly help?

But two units having the same issue? It's kinda strange.
I see that @leecox mentioned swapping the adapters. Sorry if I missed it but did you try that?

Finding a known good headlight won't be easy. You will need a really good friend with global headlights in their car to let you borrow it or a really good friend at Tesla to troubleshoot it.

Have you talked with Zapaska? Their 'new' headlights are 'seconds' and the problem you are seeing might be the reason it did not pass for Tesla.

Last edited: