Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Max range of the model 3 poll

What do you think the max range will be with the battery upgrade on the Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing base is 55kWh and upgraded is 80kWh. So with 215 miles base, maybe upgraded pack with 290-295 miles. Mind that the upgraded pack probably includes AWD, so there is some more efficiency with dual motors but that may be offset by being a P model. Here's a question to Tesla: will the larger battery option be tied to the performance upgrade?

I'm guessing base is 55kWh and upgraded is 80kWh. So with 215 miles base, maybe upgraded pack with 290-295 miles. Mind that the upgraded pack probably includes AWD, so there is some more efficiency with dual motors but that may be offset by being a P model. Here's a question to Tesla: will the larger battery option be tied to the performance upgrade?

Part of what allows the higher performance is a greater discharge rate from the batteries. Since the bursts you need for the added performance come from a parallel drain across the battery pack, you will necessarily need the larger battery option for higher performance. If they follow what they have done with previous models, you will not need the performance model to get the larger battery. Some of us just want the range and will be satisfied with a 0-60 launch of around 5 seconds instead of below 4. :)

Last edited:
I said 260-290. More of a wild guess on my part. I will be getting the battery upgrade. Performance model may depend on getting the $7500 credit
I am trying to decide if I want the performance model as well. I think it would be a cool upgrade, but not terribly useful in real life. I mean, it would always be nice to take people for a ride and pop into ludicrous mode for a laugh, but outside of that scenario or beating my friend's audi S4 in a race (not a good idea, since he's willing to get a ticket and I'd prefer not to) it would be a waste of money. Of course, I am in Colorado so we get an extra 6k on top of the federal incentive, so there is always that money to throw around. And if interest rates stay around 1.49% for a 60 month loan, its practically free money.

It never has been before, and I doubt they would start now. There are people that want maximum performance and people that want maximum range. Tesla had always catered to both.

What do you think the chances are that the 3 battery comes in 3 flavors, say 55, 75, 95. With the S and X starting at ~$80k and quickly going up from there, the a $13k upgrade makes is less of a financial burden to many of those buyers than potential 3 buyers. It might make sense to offer smaller jumps of $5k-7k.

Here are the estimated range estimates based on estimated base battery sizes, ignoring extra weight differences between batteries. I've color coded them to the poll options. There are no scenarios containing the first poll option.

201605h6llr.png

Personally I'm thinking they'll go with 55 and 70 kWh battery sizes.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and ABCCBA
I am trying to decide if I want the performance model as well. I think it would be a cool upgrade, but not terribly useful in real life. I mean, it would always be nice to take people for a ride and pop into ludicrous mode for a laugh, but outside of that scenario or beating my friend's audi S4 in a race (not a good idea, since he's willing to get a ticket and I'd prefer not to) it would be a waste of money. Of course, I am in Colorado so we get an extra 6k on top of the federal incentive, so there is always that money to throw around. And if interest rates stay around 1.49% for a 60 month loan, its practically free money.

I too am struggling with this! I have read a couple of other views that it really isn't practical, and that there are so few times where it can be practically used, but then again... being able to dust anything else on the road, at any time, sure is enticing! :)

When I first starting catching up on Tesla in advance of the M3 reveal, I thought the Performance upgrade was a few thousand, which I would be OK with, and then I found out it was 30k for the Model S, and reality set in, as I can't afford that. If its 14k or so, maybe I can find a way to stomach it, but otherwise, Im not so sure!

Reactions: aglose
I voted 260-290 as I can't imagine Tesla would want to announce an equivalent or higher range for their mass-market Model 3 than for their flagship Model S... at least not initially.
but.. 90D already gets 300 miles and Model 3 will be out in about a yr from now, and there is a possibiliyt that by then, there will be larger pack batteries. So its not completely out of realm of possibility

Performance is nice for a top model S, but for a large selling less expensive car like the 3 it would be more logical to go for range.
At least I would love range freedom and would be happy with normal-fast performance.

As fast as possible supercharging would be very very nice though. Because when the model 3 hits the road, there will be plenty of them, needing an as fast as fast possible turnover time at supercharge stations.

Smaller 220miles and bigger 330miles. Any smaller increment is just basically worthless and makes no sense. Couple ten miles hardly ever makes the difference how you can use the car. 2 totally different range choises is what is needed. Period.

55KWh and 85KWh. Bigger battery $10 000 option.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri and Luke42