Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

max supercharge rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been seeing reports that V3 superchargers will see increased max rate to 324kW:

I was under the impression current models are limited to 250kW so I assume this will only benefit future models. Is this something that could be changed via s/w or would it require a h/w upgrade too? My guess is it wont be possible but thought the question was worth asking if anyone knows.

The article seems to be saying that existing 250kW chargers will be increased to 324kW. That's the only way it would make sense to me, since it says V3 SuperChargers. If it only applied to *new* SuperChargers and they're faster than existing V3 SuperChargers, then they wouldn't be V3... they'd be V4 or something.

I assume they've determined that existing V3 SuperChargers can handle more than the 250kW they're currently pushing.

Even the 250kW chargers drop down pretty quickly in speed. These faster speeds will likely only save a minute or two at each charging stop.

I suppose if we're ever going to go from 30 minute charging stops down to 5 minutes, it'll happen through these types of incremental gains. So "YAY!" for 324kW!

Aye, upping the Supercharger charging rate is nice. But it's only half the equation. The other half is the pack chemistry itself - its ability to actually absorb higher rates of energy. And that hasn't changed.

Elevated charge rates are one of the handful of use factors that affect pack longevity. All else being equal, charging at 250 kW would be better for your battery than charging at 324 kW. And 250 kW isn't all that kind to begin with.

Ain't too many free lunches out there.

No one needs 324 KW of charging. 250 KW already begins to taper after 20% battery capacity, if I remember correctly.

Anything higher than 250 KW charging is just playing games with the numbers. And slamming all that power through the battery can't be good for it.

No one needs 324 KW of charging. 250 KW already begins to taper after 20% battery capacity, if I remember correctly.

Anything higher than 250 KW charging is just playing games with the numbers. And slamming all that power through the battery can't be good for it.
The F150 lightning AND rivians could definitely use faster charging than what they have currently...

While the cybertruck will probably be more efficient than the flying bricks of their competitors, I can't see the unladen efficiency being better than 400wh/mi, and 100kwh packs probably being the minimum equipped battery.

Charging Lithium batteries tapers when cell voltage gets near 4.2V or cell temperature gets too high. With the lower resistance 4680's a 324kW charge may be possible on a 75 kWh pack. I have only seen 250 kW for a short time when starting at a low state of charge.

Current CCS iteration is for 500 amps, rivians are definitely sucking down Max amps, just as my model 3 is, at a 350kw max charger.

Both vehicles being limited by pack voltage, and Max amps supplied BY CCS. My model 3 only being able to take 185 ish kW. (375v @500A)

Since tesla does their own thing, model 3 can take 666 amps at ~ 375V, to max out at 250kw on the Tesla Proprietary Connector.

324kw would be around 800-850 amps depending on pack voltage (at 375v, it's 864 amps).

Reactions: Big Earl