Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
255 is a wide tire for an EV already. They should have gone with a narrower rim.
Perhaps, but if efficiency is paramount then they should put narrower rims on ICE vehicles as well, no?

I think Tesla’s best insight has been understanding people are willing to adopt EVs broadly if they don’t have to sacrifice things like performance, utility, and aesthetics just to squeeze out a few more miles per charge. Ultimately that’s leading to an evolution of the entire industry, which is more important for things like environmental goals than each car getting an extra 10 miles per charge except no one buys them.

Upvote 0
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

@FlyGuyM0delY Did you ever take pics of your spacer setup? I’m specifically interested in the 20mm fronts, as I’ve seen pics of Uberturbines with 25mm rears.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I just put 265/40/r21 fronts and the space between the wheel and metal knuckles is sooo small i would be amazed a 275/40/r21 will fit without rubbing. It must be the absolute max.

What no one seems to talk about is the added rear negative camber with 295/40/r21. I feel like almost an inch of the outside doesnt come in contact with the ground.

Reactions: BillyG2022MYP
Upvote 0
This is the rear camber with 295/40/r21’s . Notice the color of where the wheel touches the ground.

Attachments

• ECD5506E-852B-4787-BA17-AD1C99CE09DD.jpeg
    ECD5506E-852B-4787-BA17-AD1C99CE09DD.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 1,483
Upvote 0
This is the rear camber with 295/40/r21’s . Notice the color of where the wheel touches the ground.
akballow, have you taken your car to a alignment shop yet to have them correct the rear camber? It would be nice to know if it was already off and maybe it could be corrected to get all of that extra rubber to the ground so your tires don't wear wrong. Also wondering if a 295/35zr21 tire would have them same camber issues that yours already has. The cheapest route is to go 295/35zr21 rears since the Michelin Pilot 265/40zr21 AS's are on back order until May this year. I just might have to move the factory rear 275/35 tire to the front and hopefully get some 295/35's for the rear.

Reactions: CaptainCrunchy
Upvote 0
akballow, have you taken your car to a alignment shop yet to have them correct the rear camber? It would be nice to know if it was already off and maybe it could be corrected to get all of that extra rubber to the ground so your tires don't wear wrong. Also wondering if a 295/35zr21 tire would have them same camber issues that yours already has. The cheapest route is to go 295/35zr21 rears since the Michelin Pilot 265/40zr21 AS's are on back order until May this year. I just might have to move the factory rear 275/35 tire to the front and hopefully get some 295/35's for the rear.
I’m using 295/35/21 in the back and I don’t think my camber is an issue.
98999F74-A314-41AA-897C-A70FFD175765.jpeg

Upvote 0
I’m using 295/35/21 in the back and I don’t think my camber is an issue.View attachment 770687
Nope looks good from what I can see. Those Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tires are on my radar since they are available immediately. How do you like them so far? Did you considered the Michelins as well? Just wondering why you went with them instead. Looks good can you send side profiles so we can see how they fill out the wheels wells. No rubbing correct? 👍

Upvote 0
Nope looks good from what I can see. Those Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tires are on my radar since they are available immediately. How do you like them so far? Did you considered the Michelins as well? Just wondering why you went with them instead. Looks good can you send side profiles so we can see how they fill out the wheels wells. No rubbing correct? 👍
No rubbing. Considered the Michelins but they were unavailable, more expensive, and reviewed slightly below the Continentals on tire rack (for whatever that’s worth). Very pleased with the look and the slight but noticeable softening of the ride.
0BCD0359-CC0D-4409-A8B4-89484773D08B.jpeg

Upvote 0
No rubbing. Considered the Michelins but they were unavailable, more expensive, and reviewed slightly below the Continentals on tire rack (for whatever that’s worth). Very pleased with the look and the slight but noticeable softening of the ride.
View attachment 770872
Thanks for getting back with that photo! Man oh man you are making me regret I didn't order a white MYP! looks amazing. Enjoy that beast! 😲

Reactions: Canyonero
Upvote 0
I went with the DWS06 because it was available immediately plus after thinking about it, the tread pattern looks fancier and its not just some stock tire that comes from tesla ;P

295/40/R21 in the back looks amazing but I think it is causing some extra negative camber from the height increase, which I feel is like the same thing as lowering a car via shorter springs, but the tires are taller so its the same effect??
Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 10.42.29 AM.png

Upvote 0
No camber adjustment :)

Upvote 0
I went with the DWS06 because it was available immediately plus after thinking about it, the tread pattern looks fancier and its not just some stock tire that comes from tesla ;P

295/40/R21 in the back looks amazing but I think it is causing some extra negative camber from the height increase, which I feel is like the same thing as lowering a car via shorter springs, but the tires are taller so its the same effect?? View attachment 771368
Well I really like the look of that taller tire and it's worth the money IMO, if it gives you a better ride and offers more protection for those expensive A$$ rims. I know it's very popular to change out the rims and tires to a smaller diameter but those 21's look so good on the MYP. Not to mentions how much more money a complete set will cost you and then having the decision whether or not to sell the Uberturbines or keep them. Did you sell the your factory tires or did you keep them? I am sure I can cut them loose on FB market place or Ebay for good money if they are direct take offs with very low miles. I plan to get your same tires and have them waiting & ready to change out as soon as I take delivery. Thanks for sharing the photos. Even going to a 40 aspect ratio still has such a low profile look. Those 35 series tires make it look like all rim with zero wheel protection.

Upvote 0
Well I really like the look of that taller tire and it's worth the money IMO, if it gives you a better ride and offers more protection for those expensive A$$ rims. I know it's very popular to change out the rims and tires to a smaller diameter but those 21's look so good on the MYP. Not to mentions how much more money a complete set will cost you and then having the decision whether or not to sell the Uberturbines or keep them. Did you sell the your factory tires or did you keep them? I am sure I can cut them loose on FB market place or Ebay for good money if they are direct take offs with very low miles. I plan to get your same tires and have them waiting & ready to change out as soon as I take delivery. Thanks for sharing the photos. Even going to a 40 aspect ratio still has such a low profile look. Those 35 series tires make it look like all rim with zero wheel protection.
my rears were worn to the wear indicators, the fronts had half the life left but I did not bother with holding on to them and trying to find a buyer. no clue how much I would have recouped but probably not enough for the time and effort

Upvote 0
EVs are more efficient than fossil fuel vehicles. As a result they are more affected by wind and rolling resistance.
Umm, not really the correct explanation.

Both ICE and Electric powered vehicles have to work equally hard to move thru the air.
Both expend energy to do so.
Essentially, because the EV fuel tank has less potential energy, the loss of range is more noticeable.

The energy density of gasoline (or diesel) is much higher than for batteries.
Even though ICE converts that potential energy into work (torque/speed) less efficiently, it has a lot more energy at hand than a battery EV.

While an EV may convert energy more efficiently, that doesn't make it more or less effected by wind or rolling resistance.
It just has less energy on board to work with.

Upvote 0
Where do you guys find shops that carry these tires? A few tire shops won’t mount anything outside the factory specs. I want to put 265/40/21 and 285 (or 295)/40/21 but they won’t do it. Some shops can’t even order it. Didn’t know it is so hard to find 21 sizes.
I bought them from discount tire, which in SoCal is Americas Tire. I think the website wouldn’t let me order non-OEM size so I had to call and have them place the order over the phone.

Reactions: CaptainCrunchy
Upvote 0
I sold mine on offerup in about a month for $700. They had 1200 miles and one had been repaired when it got a puncture at around 300 miles. Price it to sell and you’ll have no problem since a new set is probably around $1700.

Upvote 0