Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
Which begs the question……….
What’s the narrowest tire (square setup) you can run on a MYP without a negative impact on 0-60?
I would think a lighter wheel/tire setup would have a positive impact on both range and 0-60 times. Has anyone found the limit?

T Sportline 18" wheel and tire package 4 x 245/50-18 will give you a better ride save you some weight (-34lb.s un-sprung) and improve range

Reactions: Ray_R
Upvote 0

T Sportline 18" wheel and tire package 4 x 245/50-18 will give you a better ride save you some weight (-34lb.s un-sprung) and improve range
I was thinking the same. The 18” TS5 with the Redwood GT Ohlins suspension might be the perfect setup.

Upvote 0
bumping this thread. Getting close to pulling the trigger for my wheel setup on my ‘23 MYP. going for the 20x10 +40 square setup but am really tempted to try 285/40 20 vs the 275/40 everyone has been able to run. Overall diameter is 29” for the 285 tire… I know that people have fit the 265/40 21 on the front which is a 29.3” diameter overall. My thoughts are that I would be fine, but seeing as the 21s have a different offset and aren’t quite as wide, I’m thinking on it.

Closest I’ve seen so far is a 20x11 with 285/35 on the mountain pass performance model y. But so much has been done to the suspension geometry of that car, I can’t exactly take it into consideration. Although 20x11 is much bigger than 20x10.

My main concern is the steering knuckle, as that seems to be the close contact point for the folks with the 265/40 21 on the stock Ubers.

Let me know your thoughts!

Upvote 0
bumping this thread. Getting close to pulling the trigger for my wheel setup on my ‘23 MYP. going for the 20x10 +40 square setup but am really tempted to try 285/40 20 vs the 275/40 everyone has been able to run. Overall diameter is 29” for the 285 tire… I know that people have fit the 265/40 21 on the front which is a 29.3” diameter overall. My thoughts are that I would be fine, but seeing as the 21s have a different offset and aren’t quite as wide, I’m thinking on it.

Closest I’ve seen so far is a 20x11 with 285/35 on the mountain pass performance model y. But so much has been done to the suspension geometry of that car, I can’t exactly take it into consideration. Although 20x11 is much bigger than 20x10.

My main concern is the steering knuckle, as that seems to be the close contact point for the folks with the 265/40 21 on the stock Ubers.

Let me know your thoughts!
Does/did you car come with all season tires or summer? Currently I am seeing that it extremely difficult to get your hands on all season performance tires in 21" due to supply constraints. If you are considering new tires I personally would go with a 19" or 20" square setup. You will have more options in sizes and availability. Find a quality 19" or 20" forged light weight wheel and run (example: 275/40R20's) on all for corners so you can rotate them and squeeze as much life out of them as you can. List you stock wheels and tires up for sale. Someone will snatch them up. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Hey All, about to take delivery of my model y performance this friday. I have scheduled an appointment with discount tire 2 hrs after my delivery to get the rears swapped to the front and add new tires to the rear. I am guessing my MYP will come with michelin pilot all season 4 tires so thats what I ordered for the rears.

Have there been any issues that folks have seen over thousands of miles with the 275/35r21 fronts and 295/35r21 rears? alignment, rubbing, etc? I have seen dozens of people go this route on here and thats what drove me to choose it. Curious of long term opinions.

Thanks!
Do you have any pics of this set up? I am about to take delivery of MYP and am looking to make this change as well. Any way to confirm if I will get the Michelinn All seasons before pick up?

Upvote 0
Wanted to add another data point in this thread. I recently installed Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (103Y variant - no acoustic foam) on my '22 MYP.

Front - 275/35R21
Rear - 295/35R21

After going back and forth with Michelin customer support, I decided against mounting the 103W EV specific 275 tire up front and waited until I could get the same speed-rated Y tire which has no foam. Apparently there are differences in the tire construction/sidewall stiffness between the two versions. There's a Tyre Reviews Youtube video about differences in the same model of tire (e.g. OEM vs. aftermarket) which supports that.

I love the look of them on the Uberturbines. They really should have come from the factory like this; no more weird stretch. The ride is firm but not harsh. The OEM Pirelli PZero felt like the car crashed through potholes or train crossings. No rub on full lock or in the back with load. Feels like a summer tire in terms of traction both in dry and wet.

Upvote 1
Wanted to add another data point in this thread. I recently installed Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (103Y variant - no acoustic foam) on my '22 MYP.

Front - 275/35R21
Rear - 295/35R21

After going back and forth with Michelin customer support, I decided against mounting the 103W EV specific 275 tire up front and waited until I could get the same speed-rated Y tire which has no foam. Apparently there are differences in the tire construction/sidewall stiffness between the two versions. There's a Tyre Reviews Youtube video about differences in the same model of tire (e.g. OEM vs. aftermarket) which supports that.

I love the look of them on the Uberturbines. They really should have come from the factory like this; no more weird stretch. The ride is firm but not harsh. The OEM Pirelli PZero felt like the car crashed through potholes or train crossings. No rub on full lock or in the back with load. Feels like a summer tire in terms of traction both in dry and wet.
Pics?

Upvote 0
tire.jpg

Upvote 0
@HansT @BillyG2022MYP @Charles415

i found your reports / feedback helpful so i thought id tag you guys here if you have any wisdom to share.

i optimistically ordered 4 x 275/40/21 for installation next week on my LR with 10.5" ubers all around (stock. no spacers, not lowered). i see that most folks max out in front at 265/40 w/ no rub so aware that im running a risk by going into no mans' land but kind of down to experiment here and report back to help others who may be on the fence.

have been graciously helped in other threads from folks (h/t @HB-M3-MY who shared tire size.com comparison from my current 275/35/21 config all around to the scheduled 275/40/21 but curious to see if you guys have any thoughts or advice?

pics of current setup attached, if helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_6994.jpeg
    IMG_6994.jpeg
    694.3 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_6995.jpeg
    IMG_6995.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_6996.jpeg
    IMG_6996.jpeg
    772.3 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_6997.jpeg
    IMG_6997.jpeg
    756.1 KB · Views: 247
Upvote 0
@HansT @BillyG2022MYP @Charles415

i found your reports / feedback helpful so i thought id tag you guys here if you have any wisdom to share.

i optimistically ordered 4 x 275/40/21 for installation next week on my LR with 10.5" ubers all around (stock. no spacers, not lowered). i see that most folks max out in front at 265/40 w/ no rub so aware that im running a risk by going into no mans' land but kind of down to experiment here and report back to help others who may be on the fence.

have been graciously helped in other threads from folks (h/t @HB-M3-MY who shared tire size.com comparison from my current 275/35/21 config all around to the scheduled 275/40/21 but curious to see if you guys have any thoughts or advice?

pics of current setup attached, if helpful.
Do share i would do same if it works. I have my doubts as 265 is really really tight already!

Reactions: tainy22
Upvote 0
Running 285/35/20 with some extra camber ok with 12mm spacers on front and 15mm on rear. Without extra negative camber will just touch.
Interesting but does seem a bit small in overall diameter—was this a conscious choice? For reference, I run 295/35R21 (rears) on my MYP with nearly perfect fitment. Curious as to your thoughts on running something significantly smaller than stock. Thanks.

Upvote 0