Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
Yes you are correct... Sorry, I am just really not that much knowledgeable on the terms and these things. I was actually after the squared look of the tires as compared to Tesla's stretched stock tires. I did not mean square as in same size of wheels and tires for front and back. Thank you for pointing that out.
Confirm that they didn’t put your wider 10.5 x 21” wheels on the front! I don’t trust too many wheel shops. The installed may have mounted the 265/40r21 tire on the rear wheels thinking all of your rims were the same? Other than that I have no idea because my 265/40’s have never rubbed and I have hit so many many whoops and uneven dips at speed and never came close to a rub.

Upvote 0
I've read through this entire thread (and as many other threads here and elsewhere that I could find), and I'm still not totally clear...

I have a one-month old MYP that arrived with Pirelli P-Zero PZ4s on the stock UberTurbine 21" wheels (photos attached). But...I live in New England. Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s...which seem to be on a lot of new MYPs...since in New England, sometimes, it SNOWS. I would very much like to swap in the Michelins, as well as up-size to help with curb rash and pothole handling.

Can anyone confirm that 275/40/21 and 295/40/21 front/rear Pilot Sport All Season 4s *without* spacers will be okay? If not, will 265/40/21 fronts fit *and* make a difference? Likewise 285/40/21 rears? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Attachments

• IMG_3811.jpeg
    IMG_3811.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 1,017
  • IMG_3812.jpeg
    IMG_3812.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 376
Upvote 0
I've read through this entire thread (and as many other threads here and elsewhere that I could find), and I'm still not totally clear...

I have a one-month old MYP that arrived with Pirelli P-Zero PZ4s on the stock UberTurbine 21" wheels (photos attached). But...I live in New England. Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s...which seem to be on a lot of new MYPs...since in New England, sometimes, it SNOWS. I would very much like to swap in the Michelins, as well as up-size to help with curb rash and pothole handling.

Can anyone confirm that 275/40/21 and 295/40/21 front/rear Pilot Sport All Season 4s *without* spacers will be okay? If not, will 265/40/21 fronts fit *and* make a difference? Likewise 285/40/21 rears? Thanks in advance for any guidance.
I have 265/40R21s on the front and 295/35R21s on the rears. I could see going slightly taller on the rears but would be extraordinarily hesitate to go any larger on the fronts. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Seems with latest release, Tire setting can be re-learned:

Upvote 0
Seems with latest release, Tire setting can be re-learned:

I think it’s more letting the car know it has a few more mm of tread/hight. If only it would allow custom setting the tire sizes used

Upvote 0