Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
Costco is probably the same way. I think it's mainly related to "Liability". BTW, Costco tire center in DE is excellent. I only purchase tires from Costco and have them rotated for free at 6000 miles. They also plug flat tire for free
What size of your tires? are them all the same. I was there today they told me cant do rotation with front and rear are diff sizes.

Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me why everyone go from 275 to 295, I don't find any issue with the factory size. So in the future should I also go for 275/295 or just stay the original size.
Thanks
More sidewall means more comfort and (subjectively) looks better since it fills in the wheel well. Wider means more grip and also the tires stick out more and protects better against curb rash.

Reactions: BikerPeaBody
Upvote 0
What size of your tires? are them all the same. I was there today they told me cant do rotation with front and rear are diff sizes.
These are my original tires. From user reviews they are good tires (and expensive). I have only 2000 miles on my 2023 MYLR (because I am still in love with my 1996 MB E-320 for local driving). Once I am done with these tires, I will try Michelin CC2 at Costco (yes they carry them) . Yes all tires on my MYLR are the same, and yes Costco won't rotate tires if (1) different sizes and (2) different brands from front to back

Untitled.jpg

Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me why everyone go from 275 to 295, I don't find any issue with the factory size. So in the future should I also go for 275/295 or just stay the original size.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Hmmm. Overall diameter and sidewall height are both less than OEM thus negating some of the reasons for making this change. For my money, I’d stick with 295/35 or 305/35 and leave the 30 aspect rubber for others, but, the great thing about this world is we all have choices…. Good luck.

Reactions: BikerPeaBody
Upvote 0
Hmmm. Overall diameter and sidewall height are both less than OEM thus negating some of the reasons for making this change. For my money, I’d stick with 295/35 or 305/35 and leave the 30 aspect rubber for others, but, the great thing about this world is we all have choices…. Good luck.
It can be seen on the Tiresize website that the flat ratio and speed impact are the closest to the original factory. For example, the speed deviation of 315/35 is much larger than that of 30. The height is only 4mm worse than the original, so it's just an increase in width. The best match for 10.5j is also 315. This is the configuration in Porsche's Panamera and BMW X5

Upvote 0
I was at Costco yesterday learned something that I would like to share
(1) Michelin CC2 tires are on sales now for members
(2) Michelin CC2 used to be rated as 'winter tires' (I was also told by another car dealer, surprised) and it's now rated as 'all seasons tires'. So I assume they are good for snow zone?
(3) According to the guy at Costco, due to CC2 design Costco can only rotate (when needed) front to back , NOT across. I am told that tires would wear more evenly if rotated across the axial (out becomes in). Make sense but I don't know how significant that is because CC2 for Tesla has 60K miles warranty at Costco

Upvote 0
Activating this thread

Where did we land for max tire size on MYP?

Front 285 40 21
Rear 315 40 21

Imagine any change from stock tires also have wheels realigned to ensure, beyond straight tracking, the tires are sitting flat to the surface.

Please correct where necessary

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I really appreciate everyone who contributed here, I know to get 265/40 F, 285/40 R on the stock 21 uberturbines. I am also running spacers, but I was curious to see if anyone has done this tire set up that also has lowering springs (plenty of room in the front, but the larger sidewall in the rear might be an issue? Really hoping I can keep the stance, and get some thicker sidewalls for a smoother ride and more rim protection (more than 10k miles for a set would be nice too lol)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230805_060738_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230805_060738_Gallery.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0