Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

May 2020+ Model 3 have J1962 (OBD-2 style) connector for third-parties (including 12V)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was taking a look through the bulletins for the Model 3 and noticed one that was posted on June 1st, titled "As of May 2020, Model 3 vehicles are configured with a third-party CAN bus on connector X181."

The PDF file is attached. Just a heads up- as new owners will now be fortunate enough to have access to a switched accessory 12V feed. I imagine the Model Y has the same.

NOTE: When the vehicle wakes up, Pin 3 (ACCESSORY_FEED_2) and Pin 16 (ACCESSORY_FEED_1) power on simultaneously. When the vehicle goes to sleep, Pin 3 (ACCESSORY_FEED_2) powers off, 10 seconds later, Pin 16 (ACCESSORY_FEED_1) powers off​

Attachments

• Model_3_Third-Party_CAN_Bus_Interface.pdf
    274.7 KB · Views: 438
That's interesting because they seem to now be "not supporting" (wink, wink) the installation of "third-party accessories".

I'm taking my 2019 SR+ into my audio installer's shop tomorrow to see if they can figure out a way to make my after-market system behave the way it did before 2020.16.2.1 changed the way the switched 12V power works.

For us guys with "old" tech, any idea if this could be retrofitted to accomplish the same thing? HRN-CT20T11 | Geotab GO | Geotab Adapters | GPS Fleet Tracking

I couldn't find a wiring diagram for that adapter, like the one you provided from Tesla, but I know nothing about any of this sort of stuff (ie, whether it would be "obvious" which one would have switched power for someone that knows what they're doing).

Reactions: raypratt
For us guys with "old" tech, any idea if this could be retrofitted to accomplish the same thing? HRN-CT20T11 | Geotab GO | Geotab Adapters | GPS Fleet Tracking

In the spirit of liking my own re-tweet, I thought I'd point out that I was reminded that this question has been asked and answered already. See: 12v Switched?. Basically, it would work the same as VC_Left does after the recent software update.

In an effort to at least try to add some value to this thread, I thought I'd pass along what my installer pointed out to me, purely as food for thought. Service techs don't like seeing things hooked up (or, better yet, soldered) to OBD ports, and can cause you grief if you have to take it in. Again, just a heads-up.

I was taking a look through the bulletins for the Model 3 and noticed one that was posted on June 1st, titled "As of May 2020, Model 3 vehicles are configured with a third-party CAN bus on connector X181."

Seems like this would be a good place to plug in my OBDII bluetooth adapter for Scan My Tesla and not have to use an adapter harness...