Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

May have used the cruise control and auto wipers for the last time...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want to state before my rant that the MY is a great car and one of my faves despite being an ICE fan from my days growing up in Michigan. But the cruise control and auto wipers are just rubbish. I keep thinking Tesla will improve the wipers and phantom braking through updates and keep getting supremely disappointed.

I most recently tried using the cruise during the day on 2022.4.5.3 (so none of the nighttime issues like seeing other headlights or sign reflections that are super common causes of phantom braking) and it's just as terrible as always. I had set it at between 60-67 on a 60MPH road on our way home from our cabin in the Cascades to Seattle either tapping the brakes or using the scroll wheel to reduce the speed on the sharper curves. It didn't matter. After the Tesla *jammed* the brakes the third time, I gave up. It is just awful. I thought the auto wipers were bad (they are), but the cruise control is unusable bordering on dangerous. From what I can tell, you can only use it during the day on a road with no curves and no oncoming traffic. Such a bummer as the car itself is amazing outside of these.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and dspecMY
There has been a lot of outcry for "dumb cruise control". I had only experienced traffic aware cruise control a couple other times before I bought a Tesla and they seemed fine, but when I brought it up with a friend of mine he said he's never had good experiences with it on any brand of car. For me it's worse with AP engaged, but I do still get some unnecessary deceleration just using TACC. I use AP considerably less, but I do still use AP and TACC - I'm just MUCH more selective about when I use it. Mostly I use it to maintain speed and avoid getting speeding tickets ;) This past weekend in rural Arkansas driving through numerous tiny towns with local enforcement on high alert, it came in QUITE handy.

I hear a lot of the same comments for intelligent windshield wipers. I think that's a difficult one to tackle because they'd have to essentially put a camera where the driver's head is in order to accurately see what the driver sees. Even if it was offset a few inches in any direction the light reflecting/refracting through the water would make it appear differently. For the most part I've been fine with Tesla's results and occasionally have to tap the stalk button to get an additional swipe. I used to have to manually turn them off to keep them from going bonkers when there was no water, but that hasn't been an issue in probably a year. What pisses me off is there is no way to adjust them manually without using the touch screen. Tesla's lack of physical inputs is beginning to wear on me. There's no hell way I'd buy the new S or X with their drive selector being screen only.