Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU 1 Recall - Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has decided to voluntarily recall certain Model S and Model X vehicles built before March 2018 that are equipped with an 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit because the eMMC may malfunction due to accumulated wear. Our records show that you own a Model S or Model X affected by this recall.
If a malfunction occurs, you may experience a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen, loss of certain functionalities, and/or a vehicle alert to contact Service. There is no risk to vehicle drivability, including no effect on acceleration, braking or steering, and we are not aware of any accidents or injuries resulting from this condition.
If your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or newer and the eMMC malfunctions, then the rearview backup camera will remain available, the exterior turn signal lighting will remain functional, and the windshield defogging and defrosting controls will automatically default to a preset cabin temperature to ensure windshield visibility. If your vehicle is operating software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose these functionalities. Please ensure that your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release. To find your current software release, complete an update or review a list of possible malfunctions, please visit our Support page. If the touchscreen is unavailable, then please perform a shoulder check and use your mirrors to back up safely.
Additionally, Tesla will upgrade, free of charge, the eMMC on your vehicle with an enhanced 64GB eMMC.There is no need at this time to contact us as we will notify you when the parts become available. We kindly ask that you do not schedule a service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen. If you already paid for repairs that addressed the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will share details about reimbursement and eligibility by the end of March 2021.
Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologize for this inconvenience.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
It sounds like they have done a software upgrade that allows critical functions, like the backup camera, turn signal and climate to still function without a functional MCE.

And then it sounds like they will be upgrading the eMMC from 8GB to 64GB. It does not sound like they are doing a complete upgrade.

It would be nice if they gave you an option to upgrade to the MCU2 at a discount.

Reactions: Vawlkus and Struja
It would be nice if they gave you an option to upgrade to the MCU2 at a discount.

This makes perfect sense to me and talk about a good way to keep your very loyal consumer...loyal!!!

If they just deduct the cost of the recall from the upgrade, I am sure many would take the path of the upgrade, although I personally would still have an issue with the loss of my radio. While I do use my Spotify account primarily, I still listen to local radio regularly.

This makes perfect sense to me and talk about a good way to keep your very loyal consumer...loyal!!!

If they just deduct the cost of the recall from the upgrade, I am sure many would take the path of the upgrade, although I personally would still have an issue with the loss of my radio. While I do use my Spotify account primarily, I still listen to local radio regularly.
I would still find it hard to justify going for an MCU2 upgrade on an AP1 car. What version of AP is on your car?

Reactions: mrElbe
So, from my understanding of it, they'll fix the memory problem, but if you want MCU2 it's a $1500 (USD) upgrade. I think they lowered the cost a while back - probably in anticipation of this situation. If I were holding onto mine, I would do the MCU upgrade as it's seriously slow since having AP3 installed. I take it that part of the upgrade also includes better cellular service to accommodate the added data loads.

I hope that those who paid out for replacements get reimbursed fully.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I hope that those who paid out for replacements get reimbursed fully.

I guess I'll find out soon.

I did not get the email today
I did get the original email, stating we'd know more in February
I got one of the first eMMC chips installed last spring. They had my S for 2 weeks ( I was in a loaner S ), and they were looking to replace the MCU with a refurbished unit. Lo and behold the new eMMC became available! I had mine done under the extended service program, so I'm only out $270 plus HST.

Reactions: TrevTremaine

Can't you use TuneIn for radio? Or iHeartRadio on your phone (less desirable option).

I did the MCU2 upgrade this week. Took about 4 hours at Railside and the visit & service was once again flawless for me. I was on the fence with an AP1 car and an MCU1 that didnt have any issues and the browser still worked a bit (slow but teslawaze worked). I can confirm that they did replace my centre screen as well (was on the invoice and covered withing the $2k price). Had to re-pair bluetooth and garage home link. Its night and day different and the latest sw pushes are much more frequent (on 2021.4.3 now). I can also confirm that this latest patch has fixed the rear camera brightness (very clear now). All my stations are avail via streaming as I have never used a tuner since owning the car (find them on tunein app on your phone, add to favourites and boom, the are on your car favourites). On my latest roadtrip I took advantage of youtube and netflix while charging. ZERO regrets as I intend on keeping this car for a few years.

I did the MCU2 upgrade this week. Took about 4 hours at Railside and the visit & service was once again flawless for me. I was on the fence with an AP1 car and an MCU1 that didnt have any issues and the browser still worked a bit (slow but teslawaze worked). I can confirm that they did replace my centre screen as well (was on the invoice and covered withing the $2k price). Had to re-pair bluetooth and garage home link. Its night and day different and the latest sw pushes are much more frequent (on 2021.4.3 now). I can also confirm that this latest patch has fixed the rear camera brightness (very clear now). All my stations are avail via streaming as I have never used a tuner since owning the car (find them on tunein app on your phone, add to favourites and boom, the are on your car favourites). On my latest roadtrip I took advantage of youtube and netflix while charging. ZERO regrets as I intend on keeping this car for a few years.
How much did you pay for MCU2 upgrade?