Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU is dead, car is bricked, Tesla is being unforgivably terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but Rivian is a company planning to ship 20000 cars in 2020 while Tesla is a company selling hundred of thousands of cars...

And yes, it is a bargain, and that's because Rivian needs Ford just as badly as Ford needs something. But it's not exactly ambitious of Ford to invest in EVs this way, if you compare it to e.g. what the Volkswagen-Audi group or Hyundai (or even Renault) are doing.

True, but Rivian is a company planning to ship 20000 cars in 2020 while Tesla is a company selling hundred of thousands of cars...

And yes, it is a bargain, and that's because Rivian needs Ford just as badly as Ford needs something. But it's not exactly ambitious of Ford to invest in EVs this way, if you compare it to e.g. what the Volkswagen-Audi group or Hyundai (or even Renault) are doing.

Hyundai and Kia invested $90 mil into Rimac a few days ago. Hyundai will build an EV using electric hypercar startup Rimac’s tech

I think it makes ALL the sense in this world for Mercedes to take Tesla over once their stock dips enough and oust Elon along with current execs. Or just let him be some chief visionary/brainstormer and pick every 10th idea he produces to actually invest in.

You seem to live in a US bubble: here in Europe many manufacturers are scrambling to make EVs to compete with the Teslas, invariably comparing themselves to Tesla. And we can clearly see that the Koreans (especially Hyundai) and Chinese are very, very interested in getting early access and technology for the EV market. Because everyone knows that the ICE market over here is basically going to go away in the next 10-20 years.

Yes and every auto maker already has an EV development program. Even Ford. If you aren't aware of that, perhaps the bubble is yours.

And you can say what you want about the build and paint quality (and the service structure, which is decidedly lean compared to that of the large German manufacturers), but they know how to build batteries, drivetrains and efficient chassis. The Audi E-tron has a nicer door slamming sound, plusher carpets and a much better paint quality (and a typical austere but filled-with-buttons-and-screens interior I don't like), but it ain't a model X. The current market valuation of Tesla is pocket change for many of the larger players.

What you fail to understand Tesla is an EV startup, a technology prima donna. As an auto company, Tesla is merely an infant. While they have a nice drive train, many of the "nice" features are not important, like the drag strip fast acceleration. That was a great selling point when they were focused on rich man toys. Now that they are selling a mainstream car they don't need a 3 second zero to sixty time.

Heck, In Europe we really can't understand that Ford is literally nowhere with EVs, and why they don't even seem to care.

You need to wake up and look around. Many automakers have no EV cars in production. Many say they won't have anything on the road for another year or two or three. Others are saying nothing because they have nothing they wish to talk about. Don't believe they are doing nothing. They are ducks, calm on the surface, paddling furiously underneath.

Heck, even GM appears to be doing little and they have an EV you can buy, even though they aren't selling it. I mean, they are doing nearly nothing to promote it. Some speculate that is because they are losing money on every one they sell... like Tesla.

The one thing Tesla has that might make them worth buying is the autopilot. By having it installed in lots of cars they sell, it gives them tons of real world test data. If they are around in another five years, this may make them worth more than the entire automotive manufacturing portion of the company.

Except for my boutique mechanic that I pay handsomely to repair my daughters Mini Cooper, the service at my SC in Marietta, GA is unmatched. Schedule via the Tesla app, communication via text message, always a loaner and short service times. Really nothing more I could ask for.

Do they actually repair things rather than citing "adverse weather" or saying the company is working on a permanent solution and you can continue driving the car with the shudder until they come up with one?

Back? Isn't that what he's always done?

He needs to check his ego at the door and find a good CEO, quickly.
And he's been very successful. Do you really believe all of the FUD and headlines? It's odd after what he has achieved you would question his management as if you've been there with him, and know what you're talking about. I haven't been following him around either, watching every move he makes, so based on how successful he has been so far in his life, I'm going to assume there's been a lot of incorrect negative assessments made about him. To me it's very obvious how the media twists everything around to put Musk and Tesla in a bad light. Obviously he's not perfect, but give me a break.

And he's been very successful. Do you really believe all of the FUD and headlines? It's odd after what he has achieved you would question his management as if you've been there with him, and know what you're talking about. I haven't been following him around either, watching every move he makes, so based on how successful he has been so far in his life, I'm going to assume there's been a lot of incorrect negative assessments made about him. To me it's very obvious how the media twists everything around to put Musk and Tesla in a bad light. Obviously he's not perfect, but give me a break.

Really? The media reports objective facts and you call it "twists" by the media?

"According to people familiar with the matter talking to Electrek, Bowers saw several of his responsibilities being removed and people under him have been promoted and are now going to report directly to Musk."

That sounds like reporting facts. I guess you can say they are making it up, but the article names names and I'm sure it can be verified who was fired and who was promoted and who is being bypassed.

If you want to play the "successful in the past" card, fine. That's not entirely invalid. But Tesla is currently in a very serious situation. It might be time to stop being a drama queen and focus on fundamentals. I'm starting to think Musk has a vision of selling fully autonomous cars in the near future rather than as a goal down the road. Pushing hard for results may not be the best way to handle this.

Now that Tesla has announced their own insurance company I'm not sure how that will interact with the Full Self Driving. Currently I'll bet no insurance company will touch insuring a Tesla driving itself. It may work out you have to get insurance from Tesla to use Full Self Driving. Then they will have you by the balls.

Do they actually repair things rather than citing "adverse weather" or saying the company is working on a permanent solution and you can continue driving the car with the shudder until they come up with one?
I literally said the service was unmatched. No excuses from them about anything. All the other customers I run into when I’m dropping off and picking up seem happy too. Sorry my experiences break your narrative.

Reactions: GSP
I literally said the service was unmatched. No excuses from them about anything. All the other customers I run into when I’m dropping off and picking up seem happy too. Sorry my experiences break your narrative.

Lol, breaking my narrative is fine. But I am not alone in not being happy with Tesla service. In particular no one should be happy with Tesla telling you if they find your issue is not covered by warranty or they can't reproduce your intermittent problem (which they will not try hard to reproduce) you will be billed an exorbitant rate for the time spent looking at the car. You are happy with that as well?

Reactions: GreenT
That's why the company has been teetering on running out of money for several years and customer service is so poor. He should try some present-day thinking.
I thought it was because they have been busy making and designing the best cars ever. Doubling sales year over year also presents substantial challenges that no other car company is currently dealing with. There’s no teetering. I see major innovation and huge growth. No teetering.

Except for my boutique mechanic that I pay handsomely to repair my daughters Mini Cooper, the service at my SC in Marietta, GA is unmatched. Schedule via the Tesla app, communication via text message, always a loaner and short service times. Really nothing more I could ask for.

This is my experience as well...the Rocklin SC has been fantastic; checked in early and they called for me prior to my scheduled time; car needed both rear tails replaced in the lift gate; the passenger airbag per the recall was replaced along with the bolts in the steering column.

I drove away in a minor of minutes in a model s 75D loner, and picked my car up the next day. Couldn’t have been happier with the service received. As with any location it’s all in the management’s approach to Customer Service—Elon isn’t counting the paper clips at each SC just yet.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
This is my experience as well...the Rocklin SC has been fantastic; checked in early and they called for me prior to my scheduled time; car needed both rear tails replaced in the lift gate; the passenger airbag per the recall was replaced along with the bolts in the steering column.

I drove away in a minor of minutes in a model s 75D loner, and picked my car up the next day. Couldn’t have been happier with the service received. As with any location it’s all in the management’s approach to Customer Service—Elon isn’t counting the paper clips at each SC just yet.

We will see if Tesla can rise to the occasion. Last night my rear passenger side door could not be opened with a warning on the screen "obstruction". I thought the door could be opened from the outside mechanically for safety purposes, but there is nothing mechanical about that door handle. Remembering that you can hold the interior button to force an override I told my startled passenger and that did the trick.

You can imagine how embarrassed I was. I sent an email off to the manager of the service center who I've been dealing with. I also mentioned the condensation on the tail lights I've seen. They seem reluctant to repair anything they can't duplicate. I'm fully expecting them to do nothing regarding these doors.

I guess I am somewhat accepting of many of the issues my car has had since they don't really impact the overall satisfaction with the car. But there is no reason to not repair a high end car when it has malfunctions. There is no way I can be happy driving a car the maker won't stand behind.